[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

Micro23

Reaction score
Instructions worked perfect on my Verizon Nexus. Updated to latest os 4.0.2 then used the phone for an hour or so. Followed instructions to the T and it worked. It really does take about 4-5 minutes to boot after the root so just WAIT and be patient! I also want to make sure people remember to make sure your battery is not low before you start! Always have a decent amount of battery before doing these things. Also it wipes your phone! So dont do to much setup/config before you root/unlock it or your wasting your time!

Last edited:

vanvalks

Reaction score
Assuming you've installed the samsung drivers:

When you are in the bootloader go to device manager and choose the unrecognized device and install the samsung adb composte drivers by browsing for device and choosing Samsung as the manufacturer.

This was the key for me after installing the new samsung drivers (which for some reason took about an hour on my computer) once I rebooted into the bootloader my computer was no longer recognizing the device. I had to go into the device manager and find the driver from the list of samsung drivers as described above. After that I just followed the instructions and was done it about 4 minutes! Thanks to OP an Natolx!

Edit: I had updated to 4.0.2 BEFORE doing all this and everything worked fine.

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unlocking of bootloader worked fine, however the rooting did not. I did fastboot boot boot.img and was stuck at the Google logo :(. I'm guessing this is because I updated prior to the attempt

I updated mine right out the box and no problems with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
others are reporting flashing the boot.img on 4.0.2 with issues... fwiw

is there any way to root this thing without touching the bootloader? There's so much info flying around the various forums I can't seem to find this... if it's already been answered. :blink:

Micro23

Reaction score
If you follow the instructions exactly on page one with a verizon galaxy nexus, it works. In less then 5 minutes.

jcardona1

Reaction score
Anybody have a different download link for the Superboot file? It's blocked at work, won't let me download :(

Phoenix86

Reaction score
I am currently stuck on unlocking the bootloader. I installed the necessary drivers and programs, but I think my computer is not recognizing my device. When I run the "fastboot devices" command (in the right directory), it just spits back another command prompt. :(

Micro23

Reaction score
I am currently stuck on unlocking the bootloader. I installed the necessary drivers and programs, but I think my computer is not recognizing my device. When I run the "fastboot devices" command (in the right directory), it just spits back another command prompt. :(

Your supposed to type
fastboot-windows oem unlock

At which point your phone will pop up a bootloader screen.

Phoenix86

Reaction score
Your supposed to type
fastboot-windows oem unlock

At which point your phone will pop up a bootloader screen.

Before I get to that point, I need my computer to recognize the device first. That is the problem. :\

If I type "fastboot oem unlock" it just hangs at "Waiting for device"