[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck on "waiting for device" as well... uninstalling / reinstalling drivers to try that.

Is re-locking this thing as simple as "fastboot-windows oem lock" - anybody know?

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
The phone had been out only a few hours and its already been hacked up... Now... My question, has anyone successfully bricked? ;) I usually wait on a recovery before playing! ;)

This wants to be sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Jnt and phoenix did you guys install the drivers listed in the op?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah - couldn't do pdanet without the general samsung usb drivers, but yeah

Phoenix86

Reaction score
Yep, I installed the drivers too. I even made sure the ADP was installed in the device manager. That's why I'm confused/frustrated! :p

Last edited:

vanvalks

Reaction score
I'm stuck on "waiting for device" as well... uninstalling / reinstalling drivers to try that.

Is re-locking this thing as simple as "fastboot-windows oem lock" - anybody know?

I had the exact same problem- stumped me for about an hour. Do this and you should be good to go:

"When you are in the bootloader go to device manager and choose the unrecognized device and install the samsung adb composte drivers by browsing for device and choosing Samsung as the manufacturer"

I didn't use the pdanet drivers- just the updated samsung ones.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem- stumped me for about an hour. Do this and you should be good to go:

"When you are in the bootloader go to device manager and choose the unrecognized device and install the samsung adb composte drivers by browsing for device and choosing Samsung as the manufacturer"

I didn't use the pdanet drivers- just the updated samsung ones.

I'll try that - I'd be willing to bet, the way it's acting, that's the problem...

However, before I do this, since I'm not 100% sure on keeping the device yet, need to see how to relock this thing :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
van where exactly did you find that samsung adb composite driver? I think I'm looking in the right place based on those instructions, but not seeing it listed...

Last edited:
OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, USB debugging has to be on.

Make sure, under device manager in windows, that it says Android 1.0 driver (or something similar). If it does, you should be good to go.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, USB debugging has to be on.

Make sure, under device manager in windows, that it says Android 1.0 driver (or something similar). If it does, you should be good to go.

it does, but it's not :)

64bit system, but I did use the 64bit drivers...

helix139

Reaction score
Followed the directions on page 1 and it worked like a charm. It's definitely a long first boot. I had previously installed ADB for rooting my Thunderbolt, so the PDANet install required me to uninstall those drivers as part of the process, but everything else was straight forward and easy.

vanvalks

Reaction score
van where exactly did you find that samsung adb composite driver? I think I'm looking in the right place based on those instructions, but not seeing it listed...

Connect the phone in bootloader mode. Then go to the device manager and you will see and Android 1.0 device. Right click and then click update driver. The select to choose from a list...

1.jpg

Once you get to the list of drivers there is an option to select from a list of manufacturers with drivers installed on your comp. Choose the one that says Samsung phone. Then you should get the option to select the adb driver.

2.jpg

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try this before you fastboot. Power the phone on normally and plug it into your computer. USB debugging on. Wait for windows to automatically install the drivers. After this is done, unplug your phone. Now run the pdanet installer. It will prompt you to plug your phone in. From this point, follow the installer instructions to a "T" and you should be fine. After pdanet installs, unplug your phone and power down. Now, open device manager. Boot your phone into the bootloader (three finger salute). Now connect your phone to computer. In the device manager window, you should see Samsung (something...) followed by Android 1.0 driver (or something similar). Once you see this, you're good to go. Go ahead and double click install-superboot-windows from the root of your computer's C drive. Let me know if this works.

More than likely the device is going to hang on the Google screen. This is fine, don't panic. Let it sit for 5 minutes. If it doesn't reboot on its own, now do a battery pull. Boot up normally and enjoy your superuser privileges.