How To Stop Verizon From Throttling Your Phone

OP
idk5

idk5

Reaction score
When I first saw this thread it made me think of the unthrottle and "3G tweak" hacks (which ended up netting ~5% increase in speeds, which is a joke) for the D2G. I was almost going to post a paragraph trying to dissuade anyone from wasting their time, but now that there are some who have doubts, let me say a few words.

This is mainly, I repeat, Mainly, a placebo affect. I don't have a bionic but I've read various times for my phone and others that these throttle files and values reset themselves, regardless of root, and you can't stop it if it does happen.

Also Verizon isn't "throttling" per se....a lot of your data speeds are relative to a huge amount of factors. Time of day, weather, signal quality (doesn't relate to bars btw...), amount of traffic in your area, etc. etc. I read a post where one of us has only used 1.4 GB and thinks he's being throttled, I assure you you're not and its in your head....trust me.

Just my (rant) 2 cents....I don't like people wasting their time for pretty much no positive benefit.

Then explain how when I did this my data speeds doubled, I am not claiming that you will get 5Mb down speeds, I am getting 2.5Mb on average, I believe that verizon does throttle le you on 3G when you are using 12+ GB but all this hack does is prevent throttling on the phone side not their side. This seems to work for some people and not so much for others.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
idk5

idk5

Reaction score
Thats what I want to know :3

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

I want to say that it does work... Most of the time, until they tower throttle you

OP
idk5

idk5

Reaction score
I tried going on settings.db and secure but I dont see anything that says throttle on line 16 or 18. :p

-Droid 1

Your using an OG DROID? That is different. Idk what it is for to OG DROID

TC_Mits

Reaction score
I will have to assume that is the post you are referring to.

What you stated is incorrect. Flat out. The only capped plan less than $30 was the $20 for 150MB that was a limited time offer. Otherwise there was the first double data deal for 4G phones that gave 4GB for $30.

I remember a choice other than unlimited for less $. Maybe the rep mis-spoke, maybe I misunderstood, maybe your facts aren't as cut and dried as you state them. Or maybe I am simply "incorrect". Not sure that it's all that important to the point being made...

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

vatothe0

Reaction score
I remember a choice other than unlimited for less $. Maybe the rep mis-spoke, maybe I misunderstood, maybe your facts aren't as cut and dried as you state them. Or maybe I am simply "incorrect". Not sure that it's all that important to the point being made...
The choice other than unlimited for less was $20 for 150MB like I stated.
I'd say it's very important to the entitlement mindset you have in this post:

I'm paying extra for supposedly "unlimited" 4G LTE data. But in reality, if I try to utilize the superior performance of my vzw phone, I will be deprived of the very features I am paying extra money for well before others who are not paying that higher rate. And others in my position will also be penalized at a rate far higher than 5% for simply using the extra performance they paid vzw to get.

Since you are paying less, getting more and complaining about it. If you want to pay a higher rate and not be throttled, get on one of the metered plans. There is no reason Verizon would ever slow those customers down.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Yes its different for every "family" of phones....for the D2G the throttle settings are a set of files in /system that auto-generate themselves to report usage statistics back to the tower, which also cannot be deleted (they always spawn on boot and even using CyanogenMod, these files are still present tho in a different location) as well as risky radio firmware edits using Radiocomm

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried going on settings.db and secure but I dont see anything that says throttle on line 16 or 18. :p

-Droid 1

There is a throttle reset day line but its value is rewritten after each reboot... Also there are throttle files somewhere that regenerate every reboot, you can't do anything with either part...
The throttle files are in /data/system/throttle

TC_Mits

Reaction score
The choice other than unlimited for less was $20 for 150MB like I stated.
I'd say it's very important to the entitlement mindset you have in this post:

Since you are paying less, getting more and complaining about it. If you want to pay a higher rate and not be throttled, get on one of the metered plans. There is no reason Verizon would ever slow those customers down.

Disagree. The hypothetical "entitlement" is that -- despite the now circular nature of (our) argument -- I still believe that I'm -- morally and ethically, if not also legally -- entitled to get what I was given to believe I had paid for -- regardless of the amount paid. I understand that you (are entitled to) disagree.

But that's old news.
Maybe I'll watch the Black Knight again and laugh it off...

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

SunsNut

Reaction score
Within a couple of weeks of getting my first smartphone Verizon did come out with a 150mb plan for $15 which I took advantage of since, in spite of having a great time in the Amazon Market I hadn't even come close to using 150mb and it saved me $15 a month. When it was announced that vzw was discontinuing the unlimited data plan I switched back to it since I wanted to buy an iPhone and didn't want its functionality limited by my data plan. Bought the iPhone (I own every other i-whatever that Apple makes), used it for 4 days and sent it back. Hated that virtual keyboard, hated having to jump through hoops to get to Google Talk, hated several other things as well. Went back to my LG Ally and waited for something good to come out and now have the Droid 4 and love it.

There was a report on the news the other night about AT&T throttling users who went over a certain amount of data per day. Basically if they were in the top 5% of users they were throttled and people were having a hissy fit. The report stated that the company has now stopped doing that. Me thinks they may have been worried about getting in to trouble with regulatory bodies. Even so, I believe (and this is just my personal opinion) if you're paying for unlimited data you should get unlimited data but not be penalized because you use more than the next guy.

Vickie

concepttheman

Reaction score
data

I don't have any pics but I was trying to stream cable after 1.4 gigs and no go, but after this mod it asks me if I want to basically share my bandwidth because I guess it was so strong. I definetly think this mod works. I can pull stream anywhere with no skips or buffering whether on 3g or 4g.:byepalm:

silverfang77

Reaction score
The only way to stop throttling is through a class action lawsuit or appeal to the FTC and hope they would listen to us.

Androidatic

Reaction score
I hope Verizon throttles my data. That is a direct violation of my contract and I'll break it immediately. I'll either get new phones or maybe even leave all together.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Did you read your contract or use policies?

They can throttle you whenever, wherever, for whatever reason. You're just licensing a chunk of what they have to offer.