How To Stop Verizon From Throttling Your Phone

idk5

Reaction score
In order to do this you will need SQlite Editor you can get it here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor and phone needs to be rooted if you are on 902 you can get that here: View attachment 47927

Only do this if you are comfortable about messing with system files

sargentmajord and I have tried this on our Bionic and the Droid 4, the Droid 4 method it a little different, and should work on other phones but may use different Lines.

1. open up SQlite and select Settings Storage (com.android.provides.settings)

2. Tap on settings.db

3. Tap on secure

4. Change the value of Line 16 throttle_polling_sec to 0

5. Change the value of Line 18 throttle_value_kbitsps to at least 9999999999999

the original values are just in case you need them

Line 16 throttle_polling_sec | 600

Line 18 throttle_value_kbitsps | 300

If you have any questions or need clarification feel free to ask me here or PM me i will help you the best I can.

Last edited:

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, I'll have to try it after work, I'll report back then and tell you if it seems to work on the D1

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
In order to do this you will need SQlite Editor you can get it here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor and phone needs to be rooted if you are on 902 you can get that here: View attachment 47927

sargentmajord and I have tried this on our Bionic and the Droid 4, the Droid 4 method it a little different, and should work on other phones but may use different Lines.

2. Tap on settings.db

3. Tap on secure

6. Change the value of Line 32 throttle_reset_day to 0 (on the Droid 4 its on line 34 I believe)

Line 32 throttle_reset_day | the day after your current billing cycle is over like mine is on the 7th so mine would be 8

If you have any questions or need clarification feel free to ask me here or PM me i will help you the best I can.
you need to edit the op the throttle reset day keeps coming back regardless of the the value being at zero it recreates itself at the bottom of the value table i set it to 0 3 times an it still came back an its currently sitting at value number 77 now besides if the reset day isnt disabled by putting the 0 value there it still works because of the [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]throttle_value_kbitsps was set to 999999999999. so if Verizon some how manages to set up a network that has speeds of over 999 gbsps then we dont have to worry about being throttled i have update the D4 post to reflect what i found out[/FONT]

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
In order to do this you will need SQlite Editor you can get it here: https://market.android.com/details?i...ware.sqleditor and phone needs to be rooted if you are on 902 you can get that here: motofail.zip

idk5 and I have tried this on our Bionic and the Droid 4, the Droid 4 method it a little different, and should work on other phones too but may use different Lines.

2. Tap on settings.db

3. Tap on secure

if you have any questions or need clarification feel free to ask me here or PM me i will help you the best I can.

mb68

Reaction score
I'm not sure what u mean by throttling please explain

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what u mean by throttling please explain

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Ok throttling means to significantly slow down data speeds after a certain amount of data usage has been met meaning ur phone has a data cap i am not sure what the cap is but for example lets say ur data cap is 10 gigs of usage (does not pertain to data plan) ur phone then sees u have hit ur cap an throttles ur download speeds from 5 mbs to 1 mbs untill ur throttle reset day comes which is the day ur bill is populated so its like a governor on a car after a certain speed the governor kicks in to slow the engine down

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Unless this applies to the new tiered data plans, I have never seen an instance of 'unthrottling' benefit any user. Verizon has said that they have a throttling procedure, but continue to say that it has yet to ever be used.

ex0rcist

Reaction score

2. Tap on settings.db

3. Tap on secure

6. Change the value of Line 32 throttle_reset_day to 0 (on the Droid 4 its on line 34 I believe)

Line 32 throttle_reset_day | the day after your current billing cycle is over like mine is on the 7th so mine would be 8

Hmmmm

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

oDECREEx

Reaction score
Verizon doesn't throttle 4g phones... its on their site. They only throttle 3g

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score

Not entirely true. They won't throttle 4G phones when they are using 4G. If they are using 3G and the tower is congested (and you are over the 2GB "limit"), you can expect to be throttled.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score

That is true but the phone has a throttle on its self so verizon can throttle you 2 ways from there end or by the phone

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

B-Unit

Reaction score
Verizon's throttling has noting to do with software on the phones. If your device is in the top 5% of a congested tower, you will be throttled ON THEIR END!

oDECREEx

Reaction score
Not entirely true. They won't throttle 4G phones when they are using 4G. If they are using 3G and the tower is congested (and you are over the 2GB "limit"), you can expect to be throttled.

I suppose that is true. I came across this issue a few days ago and it posted a link and I read it on their site.