How To: Root your Motorola DROID Bionic

mr_bungle

Reaction score
so just a quick question "thread hijacked sorry if in the wrong place " i need to know before i buy another bionic . does rooting solve the 3g 4g connection issues ?

BIrONIC

Reaction score
so just a quick question "thread hijacked sorry if in the wrong place " i need to know before i buy another bionic . does rooting solve the 3g 4g connection issues ?

No. Rooting only refers to the process of gaining a certain level of access to a *nix OS.
It basically gives you the ability to act as the master-administrator (a user account named 'root') for the entire, underlying Android operating system.

It's kind of like, if you have some kind of mechanical problem on your fishing boat, and you go to a hardware store to try ti find a fix.....rooting your phone is simply like someone unlocking the door for you to enter the hardware store. Whether or not you find what you need (or whether or not it even exists) is up to you and/or anyone else in the store (or here on the forum) that's willing to help in your troubleshooting process.

As for the data drops issues in particular, I can say that, once I got updated to 5.9.901, they have pretty much disappeared (YMMV).

oldguy

Reaction score
No. I was on 886 43V3R rooted manually via P3droids text line edits. (Wouldn't take the 893 OTA because of missing two Moto apps I accidentally deleted.) R3L3AS3DRoot brought me back to stock 886 43V3r Rooted with all bloatware. Then downloaded OTA 893. Then applied the .901 leak. I found a link for the file from someone who captured the OTA .902 to upgrade from .901. Maintained root through the whole process.

I had a similar experience. I was rooted on 886 then took the OTA to 893 and lost root. The forever root method did not work on the 893 OTA. So, I had to use one of the options in the script to flash back to 886 and get forever root. Then I took the 893 OTA again and kept root. Since then, I have taken the OTA for 902 (with fingers crossed) and also kept root. So now I am on 5.9.902 with root.

Last edited:
Reaction score
so i got my droid bionic today and tryed this method but has yet to work it says congrats your droid is rooted but yet i see no user permissions nor can i run any root programs wtf?

JustineSophia

Reaction score
Hi. I tried to root my Bionic, but I'm not sure if it's successfully rooted. The Superuser app appeared on my app list. But when I tried to install the Bionic Bootstrap, it won't install. Should I try to root my phone again?

NorthGuard

Reaction score
Hi. I tried to root my Bionic, but I'm not sure if it's successfully rooted. The Superuser app appeared on my app list. But when I tried to install the Bionic Bootstrap, it won't install. Should I try to root my phone again?

Download Root Checker Basic (free app in the play store). It will tell you if you have root access or not.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

JustineSophia

Reaction score
Thanks for responding.

I downloaded it, and it said my phone is rooted. What do you think might be the reason why I can't install the Bootstrapper? I mean when I open it and tap "Install" nothing happens.

NorthGuard

Reaction score
Not really sure. Did you download it from the market? If so, did you make sure you got the correct one, bionic bootstrap?

Edit: For the record, I prefer safestrap :)

Last edited:

JustineSophia

Reaction score
I did not get it from the market. I followed instructions from a website and downloaded it, and then copied it to my phone. Is that the reason it won't install?

NorthGuard

Reaction score
I doubt it, that is how I got safestrap. Have you tried safestrap? There is a pretty useful guide on how to use it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-hacks/202176-detailed-safestrap-instructions.html

JustineSophia

Reaction score
Okay, so before I was following instructions from another website and downloaded the bootstrapper there. That was probably the reason I can't install it. I just bought the bootstrapper app from the market and it's now working fine. Thank you!

NorthGuard

Reaction score
Safestrap allows you to have a "safe" and "unsafe" system. Unsafe being your stock system that you don't mess with and your safe system being where you can play with different roms etc. Both bootstrap and safestrap are excellent, just keep in mind if you install one, you need to make sure that the other is uninstalled. Bootstrap worked great for me for several weeks, I just recently switched to safestrap.

Use what you feel comfortable using, I felt comfortable with bootstrap and just recently thought to try something new. That's when I switched to safestrap.

Last edited: