Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

jagnth

Reaction score
It seems to have something to do with VirtualBox and/or the Linux OS and detecting USB ports.
I had to run a factory reset on my phone recently and when I used a new laptop with USB 3.0 ports it would not work. After trying a different cable and port as suggested in the thread with no success, I decided to go back to the PC I had previously used (with USB 2.0) when I rooted my phone the first time following this method.
After doing this my phone was detected over USB on the first launch.
If you have the option, I would suggest using another PC until whatever is causing the USB detection to fail is fixed.
Has anyone seen this with USB 2.0?
Possibly its related to USB 3.0 only?

jimbo11596

Reaction score
It seems to have something to do with VirtualBox and/or the Linux OS and detecting USB ports.
I had to run a factory reset on my phone recently and when I used a new laptop with USB 3.0 ports it would not work. After trying a different cable and port as suggested in the thread with no success, I decided to go back to the PC I had previously used (with USB 2.0) when I rooted my phone the first time following this method.
If you have the option, I would suggest using another PC until whatever is causing the USB detection to fail is fixed.

I don't have the option at this time to use another PC, so I guess for now I'm screwed. Hopefully someone can come up with something. I do believe it's related only to USB 3.0.

tuwood

Reaction score

In my case the USB 3.0 port wouldn't work and the 2.0 one did. I also agree that it's likely a VirtualBox USB thing.

tyseft163

Reaction score
I guess I'll have to go through this again. FDR today lost my root privileges. I didn't expect that.

jimbo11596

Reaction score
In my case the USB 3.0 port wouldn't work and the 2.0 one did. I also agree that it's likely a VirtualBox USB thing.
Indeed It was a problem with VB. The newest version (4.3) works with USB 3.0. But now I'm having trouble actually getting root. The whole process seems to run pretty flawlessly but after it reboots I check for root and it doesn't have it. I can't tell where its going wrong.

uoficowboy

Reaction score
I am getting networking issues every time I start up VirtualBox. I tried adjusting my network settings but nothing seems to work. Am I simply SOL?

Also - did I read this right that I need both devices (computer and Bionic) to be on the same network? That's tricky for me, unfortunately. I can't get my Bionic to go on my wifi network so I just leave it on 4G all the time...

Thanks!

CaliEskimo

Reaction score
IM a noob to Linux and Virtual Machines but not Windows XP/Vista/7/8/....Reguardless, Despite what I do I cannot get VB to open this JB.ova file to import properly. Heres a couple shots to show where I'm stuck at. What am I missing?
The 3rd download URL is corrupted and fails to download.
Has this root method been patched since this thread started?
All I want to do is flash this new 4.4.1 Kit Kat Rom to my Bionic, then unlock it and with JB being so new still, I would think that there would be a possible way to root this Motorola!
I can follow directive just fine but there are many steps missing in order to use VMware/player and VB!!!! I would also think that a moderator in DF would be a little more apt to help rather than chastise people who honestly want to root their Bionic. A lot of people here have everyday regular jobs and not source-code developers or Master's devs certified in Windows/Linux/Unbuntu/iOS/etc.,etc. You know?
Capture.PNGCapture3.PNG

Hope these snapshots help...
What am I missing here?? Please help!

Capture.PNG
ok (11/23/13)
Now VB doesn't recognize and gets stuck at *daemon successfully started*, no vibrating, just tick-tock. I've double checked USB data cables, reinstalled VB, re downloaded the correct OVA. file, Made sure my bionic is on USB debugging in MTP mode and still nothing. I fixed my last problem but now am led to another.
Why is it stalling/ timing out???
Now what am I missing?

chive

Reaction score
4th Update 5/2/2013 - Found a bug... Nothing that would affect the overall functionality, but it could cause some users to think that their phone is successfully connected via USB debugging, when it really isn't.

Update: 5/2/2013 - Per user requests, adding link to VirtualBox download site on the original post.

3rd Update 5/1/2013 - I changed the code that 'finds' the exploit file to make sure it get executed successfully. It's now using the "PATH" environment to do this. This is more reliable than the actual Linux 'find' command I was using before. Also added some additional instructions to clarify some steps based on feedback from users. Finally, added code to detect if the network adapter is not configured correctly. It will alert the user to configure the network adapter properly in the VirtualBox application.

2nd Update 5/1/2013 - I added some lines to the script to stress the importance of pressing one of the three hardware buttons on the phone (Volume up, Volume Down, or Power) once the exploit has been executed. After discussing this with the author of the exploit, this is an important step to obtaining root.

UPDATE 5/1/2013 - New and improved .ova file. Contains improved logic in the exploit script to help with some of the problems that have been encountered by users.
If you've had trouble rooting, please download the new version and try again!

Hey folks, I'm a UNIX admin by profession, so I took the challenge over the weekend to come up with an easy root process for Bionic stock Jelly Bean, specifically for those who aren't familiar with Linux.

I decided to build a Linux VM under Oracle VirtualBox on my Windows PC. This seemed like the logical choice since VirtualBox is free, a relatively small download, is easy to install and it's easy to import VMs.

My first attempt was using CentOS Linux. It worked, but the file required for users to download was over 450MB... Back to the drawing board!

Started looking for very small Linux distros and found Tiny Core Linux. This worked well. The file required for download is 46MB.

Everything you need to root the Bionic is here and it is automatic. The process will walk you through connecting to the Samba file share, connecting the phone in USB debugging mode, and OF COURSE, it will run the process to root the phone.

Here are the steps:

1) Install Sun VirtualBox on your Windows PC.
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.12/VirtualBox-4.2.12-84980-Win.exe

Note: We've had one report that this file also works with VMWare Workstation and VMWare Player. If you don't want to install VirtualBox feel free try the file with VMWare.

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file containing the Linux VM from one of the following links:
http://www.knite.net/Bionic/Root_Bionic_JB_20130501-4.ova

Root_Bionic_JB_20130501-4.ova

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s...fhiAIiSwc0jD1AdVFNY27QdoeKP9ot_7IdDetSvw&dl=1

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

5) Follow the instructions on the Linux console.

That should do it. If you need help I will be monitoring this thread.

Awesome man! I switched from Verizon (had a Droid Bionic the last 2 years) to T-Mobile last week, got a new LG G2, but my screen cracked today and no longer works. Waiting for insurance to replace my phone, but now that it's unlocked I can at least use my old Bionic with T-Mobile (hopefully, according to the store rep I met with today). But anyways, Thanks! I've tried to root this phone in the past and was unsuccessful.

Note: I had to do the process twice, first time I hit volume up and root checker said no root access. Second time I hit the power button quickly at the prompt and viola! Root access. Awesome work! Thanks for making it easy!

CaliEskimo

Reaction score
Seriously? No help whatsoever??? Lame!
Im over here getting forced boot dump and the Blue Screen of Death over here
and this is the kind of assistance that is available??
We'll, I guess some other forum like AndroidCentral will have the
appropriate tools and people intelligent enough to help or at least throw their
two cents in.....typical

deduct

Reaction score
Sorry Cali but I don't think hardly anyone is using bionic anymore. Have you tried to fxz using rsd lite on your computer?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

CaliEskimo

Reaction score
No Deduct, I have tried rsd...about a year ago, it didn't pan out to a root success.
Also, there are plenty of folks still wanting hacks with the Moto Droid Bionic...Mine still rivals friend's Samsung Galaxy 4s and definitely destroys 5c/5s phones!!
I actually believe there MIGHT be two phones that outperform my Bionic to this day...

All I ask is a known root process that doesn't utilize a wasteful boot/safestrap and works without giving my PC's the infamous Blue Screen of Death!!!

arana

Reaction score
No Deduct, I have tried rsd...about a year ago, it didn't pan out to a root success.
Also, there are plenty of folks still wanting hacks with the Moto Droid Bionic...Mine still rivals friend's Samsung Galaxy 4s and definitely destroys 5c/5s phones!!
I actually believe there MIGHT be two phones that outperform my Bionic to this day...

All I ask is a known root process that doesn't utilize a wasteful boot/safestrap and works without giving my PC's the infamous Blue Screen of Death!!!

many have rooted it with the VM method or you can forget the VM and do it on a real linux machine, the fact that you have a BSD has nothing to do with the method not working. try another PC.

Elltee56

Reaction score
Proof ... I have a bionic 2!

the comment that assumes that the bionic is no longer used by any human is ridiculous