[How To:] Root Your Droid 3

Tepes

Reaction score
Can't wait to try this tonight! HUZZAH!

Sent from my Hitchhiker's Guide mark 2

dracos

Reaction score
I dont think 4g has been bad on every device just very taxing on some of the devices. My area will have 4g next month but I'm fine with 3g. I may replace my work BB with a Nexus or Bionic depending on what VZW will be carrying.

ACalcutt

Reaction score
Just wondering... Did su and superuser files get forgotten on the instructions (it says they are attached)....or am I missing them

EDIT: still waiting on ADB to finish installing...damn throttled work internet

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I posted separate so it would be the first message any way you can rearrange so that that is closer to the top, the main reason I made the thread is because he talks you through how to get TEMP ROOT so after that there is no more instruction which is why I made the thread to provide more instruction so the average person knows what to do next in order to get a permanant root

Just aiming to keep things uncluttered was all.
Ill merge your post with mine in the op. The issues is we were seeing threads pop up back to back about the same thing. Being the methods are based on the same method I will keep the conversation merged. I expect by beginning of next week we will see a one click root method released to the masses.

mrailing

Reaction score
Quite an easy root, I have mine rooted now. Removing my bloatware with Titanium Backup now...

spillner

Reaction score
Is their any chance we can get a youtube video on how to do this? I've rooted my D1 but never did it through ADB, a little nervous here.

Mungo Baobab

Reaction score
not sure what I am missing, but I get a device not found when I run the adb shell. Should the D3 be in a special USB mode, ie PC mode or USB etc. I never had trouble using the ADB shell command with my OG droid or the xoom.

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
not sure what I am missing, but I get a device not found when I run the adb shell. Should the D3 be in a special USB mode, ie PC mode or USB etc. I never had trouble using the ADB shell command with my OG droid or the xoom.

Did you install the drivers for the Droid 3 from motorola? It requires newer drivers than your Droid.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Is their any chance we can get a youtube video on how to do this? I've rooted my D1 but never did it through ADB, a little nervous here.

It's really simple though you have to have the Android SDK installed and setup on your PC to use ADB. You follow the instructions just like they are posted and you have root.
The written steps should be much easier than trying to follow a video.

It's as simple as reading and cut & paste.

Mungo Baobab

Reaction score
No I didn't. Probably a good safety tip. Like don't cross the streams, or were going to need a bigger boat.
Downloading now. Thanks
Mungo

Mungo Baobab

Reaction score
nope. didnt help. Will reload the SDK. Maybe I have a older version and missing some drivers for it.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Man it feels nice to have this bloatware disabled :D :D :D.

I just renamed all of these files by adding a .bak at the end of them so I can get them back if needed:

Blockbuster.apk
CitrixReceiver.apk
CityID.apk
DLNA.apk - This app never stops, upon renaming it continually FC'd until a battery pull and reboot
gotomeeting-stub-1.0.74.apk
GuidedTours.apk
HelpCenter.apk
Kindle.apk
MyVerizon.apk
NewBayVault_4.2.99.36.Market.apk
NFLMobile.apk
SkypeBourbon.apk
Slackerradio.apk
Vcast.apk
VCAST_TONES_4_5_7.apk
VCASTMusic.apk
VCASTVideo.apk
Vvm.apk
vzw_vnav_DROID3_rel_PROD_signed.apk
YahooContacts.apk
ZumoCast_1.0.17.apk

Tepes

Reaction score
So now that this can be achieved, what is required to create a recovery? Will something like RZ or CWM be easy to just pop on here or does somebody have to code from the ground up?

Sent from my Hitchhiker's Guide mark 2