How to ask a question on a tech site

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
At one time this forum literally had 24/7 tech support but now that we have evolved from just forum to forum and social media (as well as life) we are not always going to see your question when you ask it. So to better help with getting your question answered when someone finally do see it here are a series of information that needs to be in your post.

1) Phone type: we need to know whether it's Android or Apple and what kind of phone (ie note 7, HTC 10, etc). Because your issue could be a known manufacturing flaw or the solution steps may be different from one phone to another.

2) Stock/rooted (and if rooted what mod): some apps are designed to detect if your device has a modified software or is rooted. And there are some ROMs that may have an issue as a result of improper coding.

3) Android build: Even the pure untouched software from Google may have bugs. And some builds are known for a particular bug as well as a few workarounds.

4) App: If your issue is with video or media let us know the app. I actually uncovered an issue with HBO now yesterday that tech support had no answer for. I eventually figured it out.

Help us better help you. The more information we have the better we are able to provide a possible solution. Because just asking the question will likely be followed up by one of those questions above if it is not provided within the post. Which means you could go even longer before getting a solution.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
At one time this forum literally had 24/7 tech support but now that we have evolved from just forum to forum and social media (as well as life) we are not always going to see your question when you ask it. So to better help with getting your question answered when someone finally do see it here are a series of information that needs to be in your post.

1) Phone type: we need to know whether it's Android or Apple and what kind of phone (ie note 7, HTC 10, etc). Because your issue could be a known manufacturing flaw or the solution steps may be different from one phone to another.

2) Stock/rooted (and if rooted what mod): some apps are designed to detect if your device has a modified software or is rooted. And there are some ROMs that may have an issue as a result of improper coding.

3) Android build: Even the pure untouched software from Google may have bugs. And some builds are known for a particular bug as well as a few workarounds.

4) App: If your issue is with video or media let us know the app. I actually uncovered an issue with HBO now yesterday that tech support had no answer for. I eventually figured it out.

Help us better help you. The more information we have the better we are able to provide a possible solution. Because just asking the question will likely be followed up by one of those questions above if it is not provided within the post. Which means you could go even longer before getting a solution.

Excellent write up! I am in the service/repair industry working in CNC machinery. There is nothing worst than going in blind and trying to T/S an issue. Especially when after a couple of hours the customer gives you the missing piece of the puzzle which if you had that info up front it would have been a quick diagnosis.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Excellent write up! I am in the service/repair industry working in CNC machinery. There is nothing worst than going in blind and trying to T/S an issue. Especially when after a couple of hours the customer gives you the missing piece of the puzzle which if you had that info up front it would have been a quick diagnosis.

That's why hourly is great. Burn their $300 an hour up for their mistake.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I had a Mexican woman working for me once as a machine operator. She spoke very little English. The best she could tell me when the trim saw acted up was "my macheen no work" . It made doing a trouble shoot interesting at best.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I had a Mexican woman working for me once as a machine operator. She spoke very little English. The best she could tell me when the trim saw acted up was "my macheen no work" . It made doing a trouble shoot interesting at best.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
That's almost identical to what I run into weekly.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agreed. As an IT guy, get get so tired of "something's wrong with this" or "this isn't working".

What is it doing that you think it shouldn't or what isn't it doing that you think it should is the number one thing I say on a given day.

Makes it easier to figure out the issue if you give even the smallest info.

Great write-up PC.