Droid Does turning 7

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I was a little late joining the Droid / Android / smart phone crowd. We didn't get the first Droid until the Droid 2 was released (or almost released) and they went on sale for "Buy 1 For $99 And Get The Second Free". Sometime in late 2010...I think. I wasn't sure if i would like it or not, & ended up liking it a lot. The wife has had a mixture of different HTC and Motorola devices and I have stuck with the Droid lineup; Droid 1, Droid 3, Bionic, Razr M, Maxx, Turbo and Turbo 2.

My favorite commercial was the Droid Stealth commercial; where they dropped the Droid orbs out of stealth bomber jets. I remember thinking that was an awesome commercial.

Picking a favorite is difficult; they have all been awesome phones in some regards. What's not to love about the original...it started it all. I love my Turbo 2...shatter shield technology is pretty awesome! But one of my favorites has to be the 2013 Droid Ultra / Maxx & Mini. The main reason I say that is because they, along with the original Moto X, ushered in a new era for Droid phones & Android that we still see in today's Turbo 2 and many other Android phones. The Maxx continued the massive "all day" battery from the Razr HD Maxx, but then included Active Display, Touchless Controls, Always Listening Voice (OK Google Now commands with out ever touching your phone), Moto Skip - NFC Unlock (which grew into the current Smart Lock features), and the Moto Assist App with Driving Mode, Sleeping/Meeting/Home Modes which grew into the current Do Not Disturb, and almost no more Motoblur...a close to vanilla Android experience. :cool:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was a little late joining the Droid / Android / smart phone crowd. We didn't get the first Droid until the Droid 2 was released (or almost released) and they went on sale for "Buy 1 For $99 And Get The Second Free". Sometime in late 2010...I think. I wasn't sure if i would like it or not, & ended up liking it a lot. The wife has had a mixture of different HTC and Motorola devices and I have stuck with the Droid lineup; Droid 1, Droid 3, Bionic, Razr M, Maxx, Turbo and Turbo 2.

My favorite commercial was the Droid Stealth commercial; where they dropped the Droid orbs out of stealth bomber jets. I remember thinking that was an awesome commercial.

Picking a favorite is difficult; they have all been awesome phones in some regards. What's not to love about the original...it started it all. I love my Turbo 2...shatter shield technology is pretty awesome! But one of my favorites has to be the 2013 Droid Ultra / Maxx & Mini. The main reason I say that is because they, along with the original Moto X, ushered in a new era for Droid phones & Android that we still see in today's Turbo 2 and many other Android phones. The Maxx continued the massive "all day" battery from the Razr HD Maxx, but then included Active Display, Touchless Controls, Always Listening Voice (OK Google Now commands with out ever touching your phone), Moto Skip - NFC Unlock (which grew into the current Smart Lock features), and the Moto Assist App with Driving Mode, Sleeping/Meeting/Home Modes which grew into the current Do Not Disturb, and almost no more Motoblur...a close to vanilla Android experience. :cool:
My favorite Droid phone was my Incredible 1

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I picked up a droid in 2009 as a result of a bad iphone 3gs on at&t and AT&T giving me the run around. I loved the iPhone and when I went to Verizon a rep recommended the Droid. The first week I did everything I could to get rid of it because it did not do anything the iPhone 3gs did as well as not having the Sunday ticket app. I stuck with it and some of my favorite iPhone apps began to make its way in the Android Market weeks after.

What finally pushed my love for android into overdrive was when I rooted. The droid literally became a toy where we could not wait to try the latest Rom or tweak (ie overclock kernels, themes, etc). Despite early roms breaking stuff, it was fun just finding new Rom after new rom. And I loved how being rooted allowed us to play with the latest software before it was released to phones (think Google Beta Program before Google Beta Program).

As phone gotten better we saw more and more restrictions. Though the Droid 2 had a faster processor, better keyboard, and fixes for issues that plagued the Droid, it was hard to truly embrace it because of Blur and pre-installed apps. Sadly the Droid 2 was my last Droid device. Though I was really wanting the Droid Razr Maxx, Verizon and Motorola waited and released it next to the Note 2. The closest I have gotten to being back on a Droid device was the Motorola Nexus 6, which we know is not a Droid. For me I don't know if I will ever go back to the Droid-line being that it is a Verizon exclusive and I love the Nexus line devices.

Ranking: 1) Droid 1

2) Droid 2: I really felt like the Droid 2 had the potential to be heads and tales better than the original Droid. Motorola being set on their software really hurt where they could have been trajectory wise, ironically when Motorola finally embraced a cleaner (more stock like) software they would lose to Samsung who's software is more taxing than what blur was.

Could a multi carrier Droid-Nexus (yeah I know that is an oxymoron) be what takes the Droid back to being the number one device?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Isn't it already the number 1 device? Turbo 2 is number 1!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wow, I can't believe it's been that long. There was nothing like the old days when custom roms were released every other day and you would spend hours to tweak the phone to get it just right!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea...and then find out the camcorder didn't work. Those were the days....

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yea...and then find out the camcorder didn't work. Those were the days....

I had to chuckle at that because I remember feeling pride with this new rom :D and I saw 3 osprys flying overhead. SO here I am trying to take a picture only to have the camera keep f/cing.:mad: And I could not restore my backup in time to get the pictures. :(

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was never into the whole root/rom craze because other than a screen shot app on my Inc I never found anything that couldn't be done with an aftermarket app , most of them freebies and bloatware has always been easy enough to ignore.
With Windows Mobile I was very tempted on several occasions but I never found one vanilla that didn't break something I depended on.
Clocking on my Inc was never an issue because it was blazing fast and back then I could update multiple apps at the same time without the phone even noticing I was updating 6+ apps as I was surfing TT or taking a video.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
My original Droid still is plugged in and is my desk clock (which it is very good at and updates to time changes by itself still. But better yet is the fact that all phones I've used since, including my current Note 4, great me with the deep voice 'DROID' when I get a message :)
2016-07-18 18.33.33.jpg

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My original Droid still is plugged in and is my desk clock (which it is very good at and updates to time changes by itself still. But better yet is the fact that all phones I've used since, including my current Note 4, great me with the deep voice 'DROID' when I get a message :)View attachment 76741

I see you even have the old screen protector.

Claps1775

Reaction score
My top 3 are the Droid 1, Droid HD MAXX, and Droid Turbo 1. I really do miss the Droid 1. What a phone. The Droid devour was extremely bad hehe.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Claps1775

Reaction score
wow, I can't believe it's been that long. There was nothing like the old days when custom roms were released every other day and you would spend hours to tweak the phone to get it just right!
Same here. Ultimate Droid rom for the Droid 1 was really good.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Same here. Ultimate Droid rom for the Droid 1 was really good.

That's what made the Droid so awesome. At the time there was only one main (android) phone for those of us in the US (on Verizon) and that was the Droid, yeah there were others but Droid stood up top. Because the Droid was the main focus we had so many talented developers developing for (the) one device. We had so many great ROMS for the Droid that people went to war over what Rom they liked best. The Rom wars were more fierce than the Droid v iPhone wars. Everything from how a rom looked, performed, and even the swag was all enough to cause a debate. You could not name said Rom or developer without having the rival rom fans come in and represent for their community.

As crazy and taxing as that was I kind of miss those days. Sadly we will never have that moment again as the Droid happened to be the perfect phone released at the perfect time with the right carrier. There are just too many great phones now that are succeeding despite of the developer community. Android has become as common as the calculator, its rare to stumble upon someone who don't know how to use it or have access to a friend or family member who could teach them.

I thought at one time that maybe the Kodi community could spark up a similar excitement as found during the droid days. But the reality is that there will never be another Droid. And by Droid I am referring to the experience (as well) that came with the device at that time.

Claps1775

Reaction score
Now, is it very difficult for a developer to root or unlock a bootloader. Also to make a ROM. Verizon has it down on what to do. I have found developers walking away ad it takes more o then they have to put into it. I would love to go back to the Droid and use it. But I would loose my unlimited 4g if I go back to a 3g phone.