verizion wants permission to snoop

papapena25

Reaction score
I recieved this letter in the mail yesterday. I don't know what to think of it. Any ideas?

Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) for Wireless Consumers
Your privacy is important to us.

Verizon Wireless provides service to you. In doing so, we may collect certain information that is made available to us solely by virtue of our relationship with you, such as details regarding the telecommunications services you purchase, including the type, destination, technical configuration, location and amount of use of such services. This information and related billing information is known as Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI). Verizon Wireless has a long-standing policy of guarding personal customer information, and the Federal Communications Commission and other regulators require Verizon Wireless to protect your CPNI.

In order to better serve your communications needs and to identify, offer and provide products and services to meet your requirements, we need your permission to share this information among our affiliates, agents and parent companies (including Vodafone) and their subsidiaries. The protection of your information is important to us, and we acknowledge that you have a right, and we have a duty, under federal and state law, to protect the confidentiality of your CPNI.

You have a right to keep your CPNI private by "opting out." Unless you provide us with notice that you wish to opt out within 30 days of us providing notice to you in your bill or through the mail, we will assume that you give us the right to share your CPNI with the authorized companies as described above. CPNI will not be shared with unrelated third parties. You may opt out by calling us at 1-800-333-9956 and following the recorded directions. Alternatively, you may call 1-800-922-0204 from 6am to 11pm to reach a Customer Service Representative who can process your opt out for you. Finally, you can also visit iPhone, Cell Phones, Smartphones, Refurb/CPO Phones with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless, register for My Verizon, and opt out by updating your profile.

TTY users can opt out by first dialing a telecommunications relay service (TRS) center via 711 in order to contact a TRS Communications Assistant. Then, ask the Communications Assistant to dial 1-800-333-9956 and notify us that you wish to opt out.

Please be advised that if you do not opt out, your consent will remain valid until we receive your notice withdrawing it. You may withdraw your consent at any time through one of the methods outlined above.

Furthermore, note that opting out will not affect the status of the services you currently have with us. In addition, we can disclose your CPNI to comply with any laws, court order or subpoena, or to provide services to you pursuant to your Customer Agreement.

Customer Proprietary Network Information Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. What is CPNI?

A. Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) is information created by virtue of your relationship with Verizon Wireless. This information includes: services purchased (including specific calls you make and receive), related local and toll billing information, the type, destination, technical configuration, location and amount of use of purchased services.

Q2. Why does Verizon Wireless need my consent?

A. Verizon Wireless wishes to share your CPNI with our parent companies, affiliates, and agents in order to develop better products and services and offer you the full range of the communications-related products and services offered by them. The Federal Communications Commission requires that we obtain your consent to do so.

Q3. If I give my consent, what can Verizon Wireless do with my information?

A. With your consent, Verizon Wireless will be able to share your CPNI with our affiliates, agents and parent companies. CPNI will not be shared with unrelated third parties. Sharing such information will enable us to collaborate on how to better serve your telecommunications needs.

Q4. How do I give my consent to share CPNI?

A. Unless you provide us with notice that you wish to opt out within 45 days of receiving this letter, we will assume that you give us the right to share your CPNI with the authorized companies described above.

Q5. Can I change my mind about giving consent?

A. Yes, you can withdraw your previously-given permission to share CPNI by notifying Verizon Wireless at 1-800-333-9956 and following the recorded directions. You can also call 1-800-922-0204 from 6am to 11pm to reach a Customer Service Representative who can process your request for you. Finally, you can also visit iPhone, Cell Phones, Smartphones, Refurb/CPO Phones with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless, register for My Verizon, and opt out by updating your profile.

Q6. How am I affected if I decide to not provide my consent?

A. The decision to disallow the sharing of CPNI will not affect the services that you currently obtain from us. However, the inability to share your CPNI may make it more difficult for Verizon Wireless to work with our affiliates to offer you new communications-related products and services in the future.

Q7. How can I opt out of CPNI sharing?

A. 1. Call us at 1-800-333-9956 and follow the recorded directions. You will be asked to provide either your account password, the last four digits of your social security number or your tax ID for validation purposes.
2. Call 1-800-922-0204 from 6am to 11pm to reach a Customer Service Representative who can process your opt out for you.
3. Visit iPhone, Cell Phones, Smartphones, Refurb/CPO Phones with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless, register for My Verizon, and opt out by updating your profile.

Natey2

Reaction score
I opted out too. Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

lexxon

Reaction score
I didn't see the option on the website, but I opted out via the account owner's number on the automated line. They give you the option to opt out on only the line you're calling from or the entire account, I did the entire account (my line is not the primary).

Shady stuff...although not nearly as bad as DirecTV calling their customers out of the blue about special "offers" and such...that was pretty damn shady.

silver04v

Reaction score
Im a bit confused. What is it that they are trying to get permission of? I read it but kinda lost. I havent gotten the letter yet.

OP
P

papapena25

Reaction score
I really don't get exaclty what they are looking for. This may or may not be they're way of keeping track of rooted phones and or wireless tethering.
I know i'm not gonna any thing to do with it.

silver04v

Reaction score
Im going to make a stop to my Verizon store next to my work tomorrow and see what this is all about.

Canadroid

Reaction score
I didn't see the option on the website, but I opted out via the account owner's number on the automated line. They give you the option to opt out on only the line you're calling from or the entire account, I did the entire account (my line is not the primary).

On your account page, look under Acnt Profile>Alerts & Preferences>Privacy Settings

:pint:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you OP.

Changed my settings and told all my VZW buddies!

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
most companies are doing this

most companies have very similair discolsures and the government lets them share your info without your knowledge but forces them to give you this opt out. almost any comapnay you deal with will send you a similair thing. i have recieved them from drirect tv,qwest,verizon,att by the time they send it to you they already shared the info so opting out is really a waste of time.

Reaction score
wow they do not make this easy. for a 19 year old who has been around computers all of his life that was a breeze, but for the average user they'll never figure that out. i work at best buy and around computers at the public library in my town, and 95% of people are dumb as bricks

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
thanks op just opted out.