[HOW TO] Access HBOOT/FASTBOOT/RECOVERY Menu

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dfnewsig.png

This must be done after pulling the battery! If you do not pull the battery, you will boot up normally.
-Hold down Volume Down Button + Power Button long enough to boot to HBOOT.​
-If you booted up normally right away, you did not pull the battery or are probably connected via USB.

Use the volume buttons to scroll and the power selects your option.

If selected stock recovery:
-Wait for stock recovery to boot (wait for red triangle with explanation point), once loaded, volume up button + power button will bring up stock recovery menu
-Use volume buttons to scroll, power button to select option.​

OR, if you wish to accomplish this the nerdy way and you have already set up the Android SDK, you can use these adb and fasboot commands:​

For Recovery (even with custom recovery flashed):
Code:
adb reboot recovery

For Bootloader:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

To simply reboot from bootloader/fastboot modes:
Code:
fastboot reboot

To simply reboot from powered on state:
Code:
adb reboot

HBOOT.jpg
Recovery.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

willywonkaisrsh

Reaction score
I still dont understand how to get to the black scr4een with the red exclamation point?

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still dont understand how to get to the black scr4een with the red exclamation point?

From HBOOT mode, scroll down to recovery, and select the power button, phone will act like its rebooting, but will boot to stock recovery.

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Updated OP with more ways using adb/fastboot.

avbeast

Reaction score
Recovery

hey can you please help me i jst unlock my phone and rooted it but it gets suck on the htc logo every time i want to run it please help anyone

trizzypballr

Reaction score
were you able to fix this bc it just happened to me?

Happened to me also. I believe its because of the update HTC pushed... Deleted an image file on my phone. Still havent been able to get it fixed yet

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Happened to me also. I believe its because of the update HTC pushed... Deleted an image file on my phone. Still havent been able to get it fixed yet

You can try a factory reset or run the latest ICS RUU(which will factory reset your phone anyway)

tm1618

Reaction score
Ehh you don't have to do a battery pull for this....just make sure fastboot isn't checked in the power options. If it is checked the phone doesn't shut down all the way.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

jcmommy

Reaction score
factory reset

Question. on the white screen there is a setting that says factory reset. If this was choosen would this bring the phone back to verizon settings and unroot the phone because that is what I am trying to do. I am trying to wipe the phone clean and bring it back to factory settings because I bought it rooted online and I am not a fan of it at all.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Question. on the white screen there is a setting that says factory reset. If this was choosen would this bring the phone back to verizon settings and unroot the phone because that is what I am trying to do. I am trying to wipe the phone clean and bring it back to factory settings because I bought it rooted online and I am not a fan of it at all.

Factory reset only removes your info, it doesn't indeed reset it back to factory. If you're rooted or altered the phone in any way, find the latest RUU and run it in fastboot. You'll reset the phone back to the way it was before you ever turned it on.

jcmommy

Reaction score
Factory reset only removes your info, it doesn't indeed reset it back to factory. If you're rooted or altered the phone in any way, find the latest RUU and run it in fastboot. You'll reset the phone back to the way it was before you ever turned it on.

Can you give me a step by step method to do this. I don't want to mess up the phone. I didn't alter the phone. Unfortunately I bought it altered and need help with this. I have seen forums about flashing ruus and stuff I have no idea what any of that is... :-(

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
NOTE*** I lifted this from my post on another board...

Since I'm sure plenty of people aren't taking the "missed" OTA news well and are turning to the leaked RUU's ... I wanted to give a quick how to and some of the things to expect, kind of a mini FAQ I guess...Here goes.

Foreword: Backup any data you don't want to lose. If you are unlocked, you will need to lock your phone before running this. You must also use an unencrypted SD Card

Disclaimer: If you follow these steps you are flashing unsupported code on your phone. Understand that the expectations are you understand what you're doing. There are only a few paths back from this and they're all harder than what you're about to read.

Step 1) Download the leaked RUU. There are several outlets for this but start at the top I guess
http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/-Support_Files-/RUU/Vigor/RUU_Vigor_3.14.605.10_PH98IMG.zip
*Updated Link to 6/12/12 leak.
**This can be used for ANY RUU not just a leak.

****If you want to do this all from your PC, skip to step Z

Step 2) Transfer to your phone's SD card
If you downloaded it on your phone, use a file manager to move it to /sdcard2/
If you downloaded it on a PC, connect to your phone and drop is on the external SD(/sdcard/ext_sd)

Step 3) Rename to PH98IMG.zip
This can be done during step 2 but it's important enough to know that this HAS TO BE DONE
Using a file manager, rename your recently downloaded zip file "PH98IMG.zip"

Step 4) Reboot into HBOOT
If you're rooted, you can use an app like quickboot
For everyone else, make sure that fastboot is turned off. Power down your phone. Power up holding Volume down and Power.
Your phone will start updating...
Wait about 15 minutes, if it hasn't rebooted do a battery pull.
Repeat Step 4
Usually the RUU needs to be flashed twice in order to work.

Step Z) Download my mini SDK

Step Y) Unzip the above into the same directory as your RUU

Step X) Reboot into the bootloader
If you're rooted, you can use an app like quickboot
For everyone else, make sure that fastboot is turned off. Power down your phone. Power up holding Volume down and Power.

Step W) Open a command prompt

Code:
 cd \temp   **this directory should be where you downloaded the RUU as well as the extracted mini sdk
fastboot flash zip PH98IMG.zip **replace PH98IMG.zip with your downloaded RUU

Step V) Flash a second time and reboot

Mini-FAQ:
Q: Will running this void my warranty?
A: No

Q: Will I be able to get the OTA if I do this?
A: Nobody knows yet. We don't have any real information on the OTA so it's hard to say. However assume the answer is no.

Q: Will I lose all my pictures?
A: See the note above that says BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE

Q: Will I lose my music?
A: See above

Q: Will I lose XYZ?
A: Really...see above.

Q: Ok, fine... How do I backup my data?
A: Titanium backup, Mybackup Pro, and a good few other applications can do this. Most require root to do a thorough job. Sorry, not much way around it.

Q: Can I go back to the Gingerbread stock ROM after this?
A: Not unless you unlock and use a ROM or S-Off.

Q: I've done the leak and get horrible XYZ.
A: That's not really a question but you should understand that this is not an official update and anything that comes as part of it is by and large unsupported.

Q: I've followed your guide to the letter but when I get into HBOOT nothing happens
A: If your SD Card is encrypted, use a non-encrypted card.