How much data do you use per cycle?

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
My cycle started jan 18, as of today I have one more day to go before my cycle ends. Some one adviced me to keep track of my data usage to see which 4G plan might be the best for me once they release the prices. Idk if this is normal or I'm just data burning machine but being near the end of my cycle I have used 28.73GB of data on my Droid2. Is any one else burning such an amount of data? More? Or Less?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Thats unlikely. I think maybe you're using 2.8 GB???

I have crappy speeds and didnt use 3G 24/7 but in my first month i had 4 GB at the end of the cycle...anyways with 4G speeds being what they are i would go with the unlimited data plan for smartphones....apparently its the same cost as a unl. 3G plan

I am on home wifi now for most of the time and i still hit 2GB+ last cycle. Browsing, forum apps, and the occasional youtube or other streamed video really racks up fast.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

OP
Palazuelosva

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
I'm using the verizon data widget and that's what it says 28GB I am a heavy data user I download about 8 movies per day, plus the tethering. That's not even my max I use wifi during the day and 3G during the night I sleep about 4 hour a day so my phone is active day and night . I have owned this device for about 6 months already and in those six months I have never turned it off exept to load roms and such which is only momentarely. I dnt own a home phone so my device is active 24/7. However I assure you I am not mistaken and 28G is correct.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
My mistake indeed, sorry lol. If youre already using 28 GB a cycle, jesus christ man!

Unlimited whatever plan is a must for you, lest you wind up with a huge overage fee. Think of how much higher that'll go with the jump in speeds lol :dancedroid::dancedroid::dancedroid:

OP
Palazuelosva

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
I'm sorry if my reply sounded defensive in any way, that was not my intention, no need for you to apologize. Well yes I know for sure unlimited is my first option but the main reason why some one in this forum adviced me to keep track of my data is to be hable to choose a plane just in case 4G does not offer unlimited like they did with 3G or incase 4G unlimited costs more. After finding out how much data I use, I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars for 4G hence you are right coming with the 4G LTE faster speeds my data usage might increase. Choosing a caped plan isn't an option for me. How much data do you use in ur cycle?

Edit:sorry for the spelling swype isn't working with me today! Lol

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I dont keep track of how much i use on wifi or in total, but over the network it will rise above 2 GB even though I do (what i consider) light browsing when off wifi.

On the subject of the 'new contract' data cap, if 95% of users use less than 2 GB a month then they must have these nice expensive phones just to look elitist. On 3G I watch maayyyybbeee 5 youtube videos a month, facebook every few days if that, update my apps every now and again, and browse this forum through the app. Syncing is off and most or all motobloat is gone.

OP
Palazuelosva

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
I work all night from 8pm to 8am 6 days a week so I stay watching movies. That's where most of my data burns, besides the social networking, facebook, myspace, email, droid forums app, honda tech forums, socalhondatuner forums, movie app, tethering to my lap top, youtube and web. I go through every single one of these every day just jumping from one to another lol I'm like that at&t commercial where the kid and dad r playing catch and the dad is stuck on his phone so the kid throws the ball @ his dads head lol

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Well i would be using 3G a LOT more if my speeds werent less than 50 Kb/s in my area. If i moved back to my old area i wouldnt need home wireless, 3G is the same speed as what i have over there :/

OP
Palazuelosva

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
When I call and ask "do you guys have unlimited 4G?" They will say "yes we do but we were told not to let you get a hold of an unlimited plan" lol

dAi

Reaction score
Hey I have a droid x, how would I switch it to 2G so it can up eat less data? Also, does wireless tethering eats up off your data plan?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Palazuelosva

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Idk bout the 2G.

Yes the wireless or usb tethering burns up your data plan faster than normal.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Hey I have a droid x, how would I switch it to 2G so it can up eat less data? Also, does wireless tethering eats up off your data plan?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

You wouldn't use less on 2g it'd just load slower. And yes and no on the tethering. If you are rooted then yes it goes off your data plan, if not rooted there is a tethering plan that has a 5gb limit.

Sent from somewhere...

Reaction score
28 gigabytes per month?? That's crazy. I remember when I had a netgear router at my house that logged how much traffic was used. We were averaging about 3 gigs of data a day (excluding large file downloads, movies, etc.) which would be about 90 on normal usage, but over a 100 if you count big file downloads. That's a little off topic.

Anyways, I have this app called "Network traffic counter" by Cyril Jaquier. It's been logging my network usage since i got my phone. I've got 8.4gb on 3g so far, and 3.6gigs on wifi. 12 gigs total. i've had the phone for 6 months. So I'd be using about 2 gigs a month in total. Or about 1.4gigs on 3g per month on average.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Its interesting to note that in my area (where speeds are beyond terrible IMO) i used about 50 MB yesterday, light browsing, in a 3 hour period.

If i were inclined to stream videos in an area i know gives me much greater speed it would have been 50 MB in less than a half hour lol!