How is your Battery Life?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used it a lot when I first got it. Found it by accident as well. Haven't been using it as much lately, but I am now. It's come a long way from the old Palm Pilot days. I write pretty sloppy & it does a pretty amazing job. You used to have to write exactly like their examples & wait between letters & not pick the stylus up for t's & etc.

Sent from my Note 4
That's why I am not really thinking my battery life is what it'll be in a few weeks. Lots of moving data right now, extra screen time on, spending my free moments on this and the Notes sister site to get as much info as I can drink in as fast as I can gulp it down. It took about a month with the Note2, this one might be longer so I'm thinking the awesome time between charges in getting now will only get better as I use the data less and camera and productivity stuff more. Dark themes make a world of difference on amoled though is my only suggestion to others to see a discernible improvement in battery life. I leave Wi-Fi, Bluetooth on always and the data network when away from home and the AT&T Wi-Fi finder thing is working quite well to automatically switch to Wi-Fi when I get near hotspots. Turning those radios off would probably help battery life as well.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
One of the reasons I'm not a big fan of lollipop and their white backgrounds for everything. That's going to drain your battery much more than a black background would. I even invert many of my apps like Tapatalk, messaging etc so they have a black background. Unless Lollipop gives you the option to choose black or white, I won't be updating anytime soon.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I'm not a big fan of lollipop and their white backgrounds for everything. That's going to drain your battery much more than a black background would. I even invert many of my apps like Tapatalk, messaging etc so they have a black background. Unless Lollipop gives you the option to choose black or white, I won't be updating anytime soon.

S5 tap'n
The only Google bloatware I use is Gmail and Play store so hopefully it won't affect me that much.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
49719c6cc1d7447a7730ab63c19c13f7.jpg

c4ff44724d415cdf5c6d1accbeca2c70.jpg

A little different usage today but still quite a bit of cpu usage and screen time. Watched the Seahawks beat the Cardinals on the Dish app while listening on Bluetooth headphones (LG 730) since my little girl stole my man cave so she could watch a marathon of My Little Pony
Added a bunch more of my music collection to it as well as Bluetooth sending all the photos on the G2 over to this one.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
f38cce3d00b07b0c9c15007b2d2f69b7.jpg

A more normal day. I took a screen of the page with the s pen, sent it to s note, took a crop of the screen on time and sent it to scrapbook, pasted the latter onto the former make the above .

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm on my third charge with my Note Edge and will be approaching 6 hours of on screen time. I was worried since I see a lot of people were only getting 3.5 hours of OST when the phone launched.

I'm hoping to get 7 hours once I root.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Given the streaming with Pandora, seems pretty normal to me.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk
I did forget to mention that the screen had been on the last hour setting up home screens and the battery dropped 30% in that hour. Prior to that was at 75% with 1 hour screen and the pandora. The drastic drop with the last hour of screen worries me. Brightness is around 15% or so

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It takes processing power to show icons & widgets moving around with your finger, the screen uses battery, the touch drivers use battery & processing power to know where your finger is as you move things.

Streaming burns battery quite well too. If your wallpaper, icons, & widgets don't have a lot of black, the screen will burn more battery as well.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Use dark themes where possible to dramatically increase your screen battery savings. I use dark just about everything and keep my screen on auto.
For What you describe and your screen shots it looks pretty normal.
Our phones have about a gazillion pixels that each use battery power. With the amoled screens we have each pixel gets its own juice with black using 0 juice, white the most juice, and varying in between. The more dark, the less overall power being used by each pixel, thus the screen.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Well this is the wallpaper I was using and after changing it it seems better.... Can't really believe that is the full cause as I also found a game I play that seems to be hanging on until I shut the screen off or kill it in manager.
192625b51a2bd762cae1cb117a681644.jpg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You said you spent a bunch of time setting things up. I'll use Chrome as an example here. If you spend a bunch of time setting bookmarks and such, the very white background will be a battery vampire. Any app that has a dark, sometimes called night, theme will help with your screen battery usage. Tapatalk, Kindle, Gsam, are a few that offer darker alternatives to their blinding white, battery sucking theme.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4