How do i root my droid 2.2.1 frg83d

OP
steve.messer84
Reaction score
I think its working! I don't know how you guys come up with all of this, but you 4 have been more than a lifesaver. vuarnet warrior ck and fb. I bet i-phone doesn't have users and forums like this. android is an incredible group. i need to let it charge a bit, but i will have to make a test call and text. i cannot thank you enough.

adsfa34

Reaction score
I think its working! I don't know how you guys come up with all of this, but you 4 have been more than a lifesaver. vuarnet warrior ck and fb. I bet i-phone doesn't have users and forums like this. android is an incredible group. i need to let it charge a bit, but i will have to make a test call and text. i cannot thank you enough.

Great news! You're more than welcome. Let us know if it doesn't run stable and we can help with that too.

So, now that you've rooted and installed your first custom ROM, check out this post-root guide for some tips: So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root on the Droid 1.)

PE is a top-top-top-notch ROM (it's my fave after trying practically everything). If it runs stable, you should stay on it for awhile and get a feel for it. Make sure to make a full nandroid backup of your stable state once you know it runs OK, that way you'll have something to fall back on in another sticky situation.

Happy rooting! :)

OP
steve.messer84
Reaction score
one question, is the phone still rooted with the rom i just loaded? and what is the easiest way to make a full backup? I guess that turned into two questions.

adsfa34

Reaction score
Short answer: yes, you're rooted. You can't install a custom rom without root access.

- Scroll down in your app drawer and you should see a little gray icon with crossbones named "Superuser". That is your superuser permissions app -- it manages which apps are allowed superuser privileges.

- I would recommend using ClockworkMod Recovery to flash from now on -- it's just personal preference, but you can flash both from ROM Manager. Just download it from the market, and when the app downloads, open it and click (at the top) "Flash clockworkmod recovery" and it will ask for superuser permissions, click "allow". Now when you boot into recovery, clockworkmod recovery will show up. Most people just call it "clockwork" or "cw" for shorthand.

- Once your apps are finished downloading onto your "new" phone, do a search in the market for "titanium backup" and download it. As soon as it starts up, it will ask for superuser permissions. Click "allow". It's a program for backing up apps and all app DATA to your sdcard. That means it backs up your angry birds levels, your logins for DroidForums.net app (hint hint) and all kinds of stuff.

Perform your backup by using the "batch" tool. Tap the menu button, select "batch" and run "Backup all apps". If you need to restore your apps, the most stable option is to "restore all apps + app data". Don't restore system data unless you know what you're doing, because it can cause bootloops and all kinds of funky stuff if you do it haphazardly. The pro version of this app is like $6, but it's well worth it if you ask people who have it.

Once it finishes, exit out of the program.

Then, hold down the power button for a second until the power-down menu pops up. Click "reboot" and then "recovery" and your phone will boot into recovery. In the cw options, click "nandroid" then "backup". Your phone will begin a backup process that can take anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes on average. Once it finishes, just click "reboot" at the top. (you use your volume up/down and camera button to navigate/select in cw just like sprecovery).

And that's it! :)

(read that link I provided, there's lots of good info in there)

OP
steve.messer84
Reaction score
Ok, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for sticking with me Vuarnet! I know i'm new at this, and a giant pain, but i appreciate everything you and the rest of the forum did for me.

adsfa34

Reaction score
You're very welcome! We all had to start somewhere and learn somehow, and these forums are a great resource.

A few tips to help you get the most out of DF:

1) Search to see if your topic has been addressed before posting a new thread;
2) If you're making a thread for support, the more details you provide the more we can help;
3) Feel free to offer support to other members once you feel comfortable doing so. Most users are very appreciative and it's part of what makes our "community" a community.
4) Google is your friend -- sometimes if you can't find it using the DF search, try a google search and then append "droidforums.net" to the end of the query.

Good luck! :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
one question, is the phone still rooted with the rom i just loaded? and what is the easiest way to make a full backup? I guess that turned into two questions.
All custom ROMs are rooted. Also, you make a backup from recovery before doing any flashes. I think that was covered a couple posts back, though. ;) Some smart guy I've never seen before seems to have helped you out.

adsfa34

Reaction score
All custom ROMs are rooted. Also, you make a backup from recovery before doing any flashes. I think that was covered a couple posts back, though. ;) Some smart guy I've never seen before seems to have helped you out.

Thanks fb! I do what I can :)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
N00b. Haha.

Nice job vuarnet!

Sent from my A855 using Tapatalk

pdizzle

Reaction score
I followed everything in this thread to get my completely stock D1 to a D1 running PE with ClockworkMod. I'd like to thank the OP for having problems. :) And all the folks that helped him out.

OP
steve.messer84
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you! Thanks to these guys, and the rest of the forum, I have been successfully tweaking my phone in every way! Hint to a new user like myself .... use the search bar, everyone here has "been there and fixed that." I haven't found one subject that hasn't already been handled. Gotta say after everything I have tried PE 4.2 is by far my favorite! Good Luckdancedroid