2.2.1 FRG83D Question

cbroussard99

Reaction score
I am not tech savy so please bare with me. I recently got a replacement phone because my old droid 1 lost all its data and continues to boot loop to the motorola m. When I did a power off and x hold I could find only one back up dated 1970?

Come to find out the new droid 1 i was sent is 2.2.1 with FRG83D and I can't use Easy Root or any of the other one touch methods. I did see a very well and detailed procedure for rooting using RSD. That to did not workout for me on the new droid. So I actually have a two part question.

1. Is it possible to replace the update zip on my old droid and get it operational again or do I just send it back to Verizon and take my licking?

2. Or is there away to change the 2.2.1 FRG83D to an older version that is idiot proof for someone like myself. YES I called myself an idiot. I have tried putting several other update zip on the root of my SD Card but when I try to install them all I get is abort errors.

This forum has helped me out on several occassions and I visit the site daily. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated and I admire all your knowledge and wisdom on these phones.

Happy New Year to you all

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am not tech savy so please bare with me. I recently got a replacement phone because my old droid 1 lost all its data and continues to boot loop to the motorola m. When I did a power off and x hold I could find only one back up dated 1970?

Did you install a rom, theme, or kernel and not wipe the data and cache?

Come to find out the new droid 1 i was sent is 2.2.1 with FRG83D and I can't use Easy Root or any of the other one touch methods. I did see a very well and detailed procedure for rooting using RSD. That to did not workout for me on the new droid. So I actually have a two part question.

1. Is it possible to replace the update zip on my old droid and get it operational again or do I just send it back to Verizon and take my licking?

What recovery system are you using? Have you done a factory reset, wipe data and cache and try to reinstall a new rom? If so, what was the outcome?
2. Or is there away to change the 2.2.1 FRG83D to an older version that is idiot proof for someone like myself. YES I called myself an idiot. I have tried putting several other update zip on the root of my SD Card but when I try to install them all I get is abort errors.

You can have only one update.zip on your SD card at a time. If you have multiple either remane or delete all be the one you want to instal
l.

This forum has helped me out on several occassions and I visit the site daily. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated and I admire all your knowledge and wisdom on these phones.

Hope this is helpful

Mike

Trofn8er

Reaction score

Did you save a copy of your backup on your pc from the original droid? If so you can copy that over to your Phone and install that from recovery. If you are getting the M bootloop you should be able to save your old phone.

Yes this is me dancedroid

OP
cbroussard99

cbroussard99

Reaction score

What recovery system are you using? Have you done a factory reset, wipe data and cache and try to reinstall a new rom? If so, what was the outcome?

You can have only one update.zip on your SD card at a time. If you have multiple either remane or delete all be the one you want to install.

Hope this is helpful

Mike

On my old phone I have clockwork recovery. I have done the factory reset and the wipe. I tried to use my wife's SD card to restore the broken phone but it too didn't work.

On the new phone I have deleted each update zip I have installed and it is not working on a stock droid 2.2.1 with the FRG83D.

I did back up my SD Card about a month ago and for some damb reason I can't get my external drive to open on the computer. I am thinking my USB cable is the problem but I have yet to find another cable to try it out.

Trofn8er

Reaction score

You can have only one update.zip on your SD card at a time. If you have multiple either remane or delete all be the one you want to install.

Hope this is helpful

Mike

On my old phone I have clockwork recovery. I have done the factory reset and the wipe. I tried to use my wife's SD card to restore the broken phone but it too didn't work.

On the new phone I have deleted each update zip I have installed and it is not working on a stock droid 2.2.1 with the FRG83D.

I did back up my SD Card about a month ago and for some damb reason I can't get my external drive to open on the computer. I am thinking my USB cable is the problem but I have yet to find another cable to try it out.

If the new phone is not rooted or doesn't have sprecovery then putting update.zip files on it won't do a thing. If you plug your old phone into your pc and mount the sd card can you open the removable disk F drive in windows explorer? ( right click start go to explorer)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree with Trofn8r. If the new phone is no rooted then you can not install a new rom or restore a backup. Additionally, if the phone is not rooted using your wife's SD card will not have any impact.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can root 2.2.1 with superoneclick.

Give it a search.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why didn't the rsd lite version (the best way) work for you?

OP
cbroussard99

cbroussard99

Reaction score
Why didn't the rsd lite version (the best way) work for you?

I went through all the steps. Made sure my phone was in USB transfer mode on the boot loader, checked the first come first serve box and made sure I was system administrator too, but my phone was not showing up in the RSD grid. I even went through the trouble shooting area from the info given off of one of the forums here. I believe it was the one that was to root all OS versions. That had the brief and step by step instructions. My phoone was never recognized.

OP
cbroussard99

cbroussard99

Reaction score
Hope this is helpful

Mike

If the new phone is not rooted or doesn't have sprecovery then putting update.zip files on it won't do a thing. If you plug your old phone into your pc and mount the sd card can you open the removable disk F drive in windows explorer? ( right click start go to explorer)

I will have to try this tonight at home to let you know for sure.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is the USB cable plugged into the pc directly? It wont work through a usb port expansion device.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I don't know if this got answered, but...

If something screws up, SPRecovery (and probably Clockwork, too) will save a backup with a date code of approximately 1970. Why this is I do not know, but I had it happen to me when I made a backup immediately after doing a cache wipe.

Trofn8er

Reaction score
I don't know if this got answered, but...

If something screws up, SPRecovery (and probably Clockwork, too) will save a backup with a date code of approximately 1970. Why this is I do not know, but I had it happen to me when I made a backup immediately after doing a cache wipe.

So does it just name your backup 1970? or is it something totally different?

If it is your backup just named 1970 did it flash ok?