How do i root my droid 2.2.1 frg83d

OP
steve.messer84
Reaction score
RSD Lite wont list the phone. Am i missing something? i have the phone attatched to the usb, in bootloader, and it says transfer mode usb

warrior21

Reaction score
What version of windows are you running? Are you sure the drivers are installed?

OP
steve.messer84
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks again. Any suggestions on what to get first after going thru this?

adsfa34

Reaction score
First, once you root your phone successfully and flash SPRecovery, make sure to make a full nandroid backup of your stock, rooted state. You will thank yourself for this later!

After that, here is a great link to follow for post-root fun: So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root on the Droid 1.)

I would personally recommend a stable ROM to start out with, such as Bugless Beast. The latest BB v0.6.2.1 is very stable, and is fast and easy to learn. (Every ROM is different, and there is a LOT of personal opinion involved, so you will be the only one who will be able to say what is "best"...) There are lots of options in BB, but they don't overwhelm you and most don't have the potential to do MUCH damage if you experiment.

A couple words of advice: always make a nandroid backup before a flash, either of a kernel or of a ROM. That way, you'll always have a stable state to revert to just in case you break something.

Happy rooting :)

OP
steve.messer84
Reaction score
wtf, i did an SPRecovery, and now my phone just keeps rebooting. what the hell did i do?

adsfa34

Reaction score
wtf, i did an SPRecovery, and now my phone just keeps rebooting. what the hell did i do?

Do you mean that you flashed the recovery-only sbf? Did you "catch the boot"? Or do you mean that you flashed the stock, rooted ROM using SPRecovery?

Once your screen goes black preparing for another reboot, hold X immediately, and you should boot into recovery. If you boot into stock recovery, SPRecovery didn't stick, possibly because you missed the boot the first time. If you boot into SPRecovery, you're golden to flash a stock, rooted ROM.

Good luck

OP
steve.messer84
Reaction score
SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf is the recovery i flashed. It is now stuck in a continuous reboot and the battery symbol is drained with a red indicator.

adsfa34

Reaction score
Where did you get that file? (Not important, just curious because that needs to be FIXED ASAP)

You need to flash this file: http://bit.ly/RO_SPR_SBF

See if you can boot into recovery BEFORE you flash anything else, and do a factory reset if possible. **If you're not connected to RSDLite**... remove your battery immediately. Put it back in and try to boot into recovery (hold down power + X while booting up, until you see the moto M)...

Try to get your phone to boot normally by any means to allow your phone to charge. ***You MUST not try to flash anything with a drained battery.***

adsfa34

Reaction score
I've referred this thread to a RescueSquad member ... you might need it if you're unable to get your phone to charge properly.

OP
steve.messer84
Reaction score
yeah, i did a factory reset and it is still stuck. it brings me to the welcome to droid screen, but still no battery. thinking that i have killed my phone!

adsfa34

Reaction score
Even though it looks bad...can you keep your Droid booted long enough to charge it? The light at the end of the tunnel here is a full / charged battery... that would allow you to boot back into your bootloader and flash the CORRECT file this time. You may even need to flash a full sbf, but we'll worry about that if the recovery-only sbf fails...

Don't give up! I sent this thread to furbearingmammal, so hopefully he will be able to weigh in shortly... you might want to also contact an administrator to request this thread be moved into the rescue squad section altogether. Cerealkiller is gold to DF: Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum - View Profile: cereal killer (and he's also online now)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You used the incorrect file to flash recovery.

That was for 2.01 I believe.

You will have to sbf the frg22d full sbf onto your phone and start over.

Sent from my A855 using Tapatalk