Ud frg83d??

droidemere

Reaction score
I've heard the FRG83D OTA update will unroot your phone if you accept it. I saw someone post that it did so even with Clockwork recovery installed.. If I'm understanding correctly..If you flash a custom ROM with FRG83D, you will keep root? And if this is true, does anyone know if there will be a UD ROM with FRG83D? OR....... What can I do to keep root and my current rom?

Thanks in advance.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Is 2.4's build FRG22D?

DroidForums junkie!!

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
i believe the last 3? versions of ud have been based off of 2.2.1 which is frblahblahblah

and where are you reading that a software update of a few mb somehow flashes your phone back to stock....wherever it is you should probably stop frequenting that site/thread.

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
Nope it won't work. 2.4 is based off of FRG22D. So by flashing FRG83D, then going BACK to UD 2.4, you're flashing back to FRG22D again.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's where I was heading! Still running UD2.1 myself :)

Nope it won't work. 2.4 is based off of FRG22D. So by flashing FRG83D, then going BACK to UD 2.4, you're flashing back to FRG22D again.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
droidemere

droidemere

Reaction score
If I install metiCkOne's FRG83D deodexed.... can I still flash UD 2.4 after and will it work?

why would you want to flash a rom to flash another on top of it? what would be the point?

I thought the point of going to the FRG83D deodexed build by manually updating, was to avoid the OTA Update from verizon which will unroot your phone...I don't want to lose root..and this is the only method i've seen that will help you keep it...unless you accept the ota update..and then go thru the whole process of rooting your phone again..the long way. The rooting apps wont work for FRG83D anymore.

mcjonesy

Reaction score
If I install metiCkOne's FRG83D deodexed.... can I still flash UD 2.4 after and will it work?

why would you want to flash a rom to flash another on top of it? what would be the point?

I thought the point of going to the FRG83D deodexed build by manually updating, was to avoid the OTA Update from verizon which will unroot your phone...I don't want to lose root..and this is the only method i've seen that will help you keep it...unless you accept the ota update..and then go thru the whole process of rooting your phone again..the long way. The rooting apps wont work for FRG83D anymore.

It's not like it takes that long...

comk4ver

Reaction score
I don't that it's true about fr83d being only for incredible, x etc because other droid 1 users non-rooted phones have received the push for the update. Besides, this update is not a major update (eg ginderbread) it's just tweaking gmail, corporate exchange, etc. So no biggie. If you're rooted most of these updates are already or about to be incorporated into existing roms.
Besides most roms already have a blocking mechanism in place to stop verizon from bugging about ota. I don't think clockwork has anything to do with it.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

v941726

Reaction score
I don't that it's true about fr83d being only for incredible, x etc because other droid 1 users non-rooted phones have received the push for the update. Besides, this update is not a major update (eg ginderbread) it's just tweaking gmail, corporate exchange, etc. So no biggie. If you're rooted most of these updates are already or about to be incorporated into existing roms.
Besides most roms already have a blocking mechanism in place to stop verizon from bugging about ota. I don't think clockwork has anything to do with it.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

you can google it. and i dont think CW has anything to do with it either. i think its the wrong file