hot spot nots so hot

that_1_guy

Reaction score
So I'm tryin to use my updated dinc as a hotspot for my psp but I am receiving messages, on my pap, that speak of monthly payment plans and such. I pay for unlimited data usages so I assumed using my phone as a hotspot would b covered in unlimited data. Amy I wrong? Did I set it up wrong? Any help would be well, helpful. Thanks, peace.

Reaction score
you have to pay for the hotspot feature,but if you root you can use it for free.

crspang

Reaction score
So I'm tryin to use my updated dinc as a hotspot for my psp but I am receiving messages, on my pap, that speak of monthly payment plans and such. I pay for unlimited data usages so I assumed using my phone as a hotspot would b covered in unlimited data. Amy I wrong? Did I set it up wrong? Any help would be well, helpful. Thanks, peace.

No, you didn't set anything up wrong. VZW just charges extra for tethering. And the extra charge is a capped data plan.

You may want to explore rooting your phone. That would give you a work around to enable wifi tethering for free.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It would affect future updates but it wouldn't prevent them. They wouldn't be installed automatically (or if they did you'd lose root) but an option would be a custom ROM. CyanogenMod has a ROM but it's not fully up to speed yet. It would be updated as the OTA updates rolled out and the source code was released. You wouldn't get them as fast, but what you got would probably be better for your needs.

Having said that, since the first update JUST rolled out, I wouldn't worry about a second one for a while. A standard root would probably do you fine.

OP
T

that_1_guy

Reaction score
Very cool dude. I'm guessing those links on your signature would b a good start to this venture

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The first one's not for an Incredible. That's geared more towards the Droid 1. The other two, yes, should work for the Inc. :)

There should be a whole subforum dedicated to rooting the Inc.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The discussion of Hacking the Stock VZW installed Mobile Hotspot Feature is not allowed as it hacks a feature that was set in place to make money and this is considered pirating -

windstrings

Reaction score
The discussion of Hacking the Stock VZW installed Mobile Hotspot Feature is not allowed as it hacks a feature that was set in place to make money and this is considered pirating -

Fair enough, I guess I assumed wrong that there are so many links about rooting and whole sections dedicated to doing so just to do that and many other things that thwart making money I didn't know it was an issue... sorry...

when I clicked on the above link and it didn't work, I should have got the hint. :icon_eek:

Seems they talk this stuff to death in the hacking and rooting sections of the forum and its allowed and ok.... I don't see a reason to root if you don't need to.

jaw4bama

Reaction score
Also remember that the Wireless tethering for Root will not work for the PSP because it is a ADHOC network and the PSP can not use this!

windstrings

Reaction score
anyway... no harm mean't, just trying to help.

There is exhaustive discussion on pirating CD's, tapes, record, DVD's, wifi etc etc.....
Many feel if you bought the item and don't sell it to others for profit and provide it to others that would have bought it, then your merely backing up your own product you bought.

My feelings are if I'm paying for the bandwidth, its really none of their business whether I tie up the bandwidth on my laptop or my phone.

At least when I pay for my wifi for use on my laptop, they don't try to charge me when I use it on my phone too!......

I see it as the same difference.
I guess they will charge anything they can get away with!

Just because they can, doesn't mean its right or correct morally or fair in a business sense.

Its all about money and what the market will bear.

The more people figure out how to "not" pay for it twice the less they will be able to do it.

Kind of like paying taxes on money I've already paid taxes on once!