Hi. New and couple of ?'s

Hi. =)

Reaction score
Hey y'all(Hannah Montana Voice)Just got a few questions, I currently got the BB storm(1) and I hate it. I signed a 2 year contract Sept of 09 and for me to get the Motorola Droid the guy at the verizon store told me I would have to get a family plan use the 2nd phone as a dummy phone and Pay 300 dollars plus tax around 322. Does that sound about right for a person in my situation. Friday is looking like the day Ill have the Droid. Any insight is apprecited. =)

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't think that you would have to keep the storm on a plan at all. you might have to pay retail for the droid, but you could then use that current plan and phone number (of course switching the BB data plan to a "smartphone data plan" at the same price) for the droid and just have to get rid of the storm.. or keep it as a paperweight. but at least you wouldn't be paying two smartphone plans per month and only using one...

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never had a BB but I did have an iPhone. I made the switch to Droid the week between Christmas and New Year. I sold my iPhone so I was able to recover some of the expense. Perhaps you could sell the Storm. Prior to selling the iPhone I was able to use many apps via wifi. I believe the first Storm was not wifi capable not sure about the Storm2. What model do you have?

I really like the Droid and its flexibility.

Mike

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Pretty sure what's happening here is...

In order to get the Droid at a discount [retails without contract for around $600], he's suggesting that the Original Poster starts a new line, and therefore gets the discount. Either the $100 rebate is over, or he failed to mention that too.

Anyway, towards the end of November, My 2 cousins/roommates and I decided they'd join my plan since we all already share bills anyway, and then we could all pay a little bit less each month.

I was gonna stick with my old Alltel phone, because I'd just started the account thing past summer [I moved], but when I found out the Droid runs Android, I was willing to pay FULL price for it.

My portion of the bill when all was said and done was just over $700. [Officially the most I've paid for a phone, unless you count the one that I ordered from ebay and got scammed on, and then ordered the same phone from a more respectable seller...]

So...I would go for $300...Haha!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've never had a BB but I did have an iPhone. I made the switch to Droid the week between Christmas and New Year. I sold my iPhone so I was able to recover some of the expense. Perhaps you could sell the Storm. Prior to selling the iPhone I was able to use many apps via wifi. I believe the first Storm was not wifi capable not sure about the Storm2. What model do you have?

I really like the Droid and its flexibility.

Mike

I was told by the VZW rep when we were looking at phones [One of my cousin's got the Droid at the discounted price for a new line btw, and the other ended up with the Storm 1] that the MAJOR difference between the two was that 2 had WiFi. I'm sure there was more to it than that, but to solidify your thinking, yes, Storm 2 has WiFi.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it seems like to me that it would be cheaper to pay retail i am sure you can find it for 500 range on line. than it would be to pay for 2 smartphone bills over the period of the next 2 year. the early termination fee went up to i think 275.. the phone is well worth the 500

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
it seems like to me that it would be cheaper to pay retail i am sure you can find it for 500 range on line. than it would be to pay for 2 smartphone bills over the period of the next 2 year. the early termination fee went up to i think 275.. the phone is well worth the 500

Agreed. You'll have to wait longer, but you might even be able to buy one off eBay for even less than $500. I haven't checked on Droids, but I've found other phones that way. Just make sure you confirm with the seller that it's brand new.

Not sure if you can still do it, but when I was on Verizon back in the day before switching to t-mobile, you could even activate a phone via VZW's website, so you wouldn't even have to go into the store. You would, however need to call customer service to change your plan to a Droid plan.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Agreed. You'll have to wait longer, but you might even be able to buy one off eBay for even less than $500. I haven't checked on Droids, but I've found other phones that way. Just make sure you confirm with the seller that it's brand new.

Not sure if you can still do it, but when I was on Verizon back in the day before switching to t-mobile, you could even activate a phone via VZW's website, so you wouldn't even have to go into the store. You would, however need to call customer service to change your plan to a Droid plan.

it is even free to switch phones while you are online... if you go into a store some of them will charge you too hook it up.. easy and simple to do.. go online log in under your account and see how much they want for the droid i was able to upgrade for the 200.00 when the droid first came out and i would not normally be eligible for upgrade till april if i remeber right..Something about verizon i have been with them for several years now they are willing to work with you.. when i first signed on with them 6 or 7 years ago i had a problem with a certain brand of phone 5 phones in a year (all under warrenty) and they asked me about the 5th phone if i would like to choose another phone and they gave me 5 or 6 options i could do it with for free. no uping contract or anything been a fan ever sense then..

OP
H

Hi. =)

Reaction score
I'm sorry y'all if I made it seem like I was going to have pay for 2 smart phone bills my bad. :) What I was trying to say I would get the Droid for 300 and keep my same number if I get it on a family plan and pay 105 a month. About 15 dollars more than what I pay now. The only other way is paying full retail. Which sounds like a better plan? Thanks again guys.