Nexus 4 Review Compilation

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Nov 8, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Here's a handy-dandy review compilation for you guys to check out on the Google Nexus 4. Overall, the feedback on the device is very positive. It's hard not to be tempted by an unlocked high-end device with a slew of cool features. For the most part the biggest complaint about the device was the lack of LTE, although this is less of an issue throughout the international markets. The other obvious complaint was the lack of a microSD slot, but again, this depends on the needs of the user. For specifics, here is a list of summations on the device with links to their respective articles:

Engadget - Engadget had their typical solid and thorough writeup which included benchmarks, pics and video.
    The Verge - The Verge offered up an engaging and enjoyable to read review. It was just the right length and includes some very detailed statistics at the end.
    TechRadar - TechRadar's was extremely long, clocking in at 12 pages! Of course, with this amount of length you would expect enormous detail and thoroughness, and they do not disappoint. If you want to read the most detailed report on the Nexus 4, then this is the place to start.
    TechCrunch - The folks over at Techcrunch understand the value of brevity and get straight to the point on their Nexus 4 article. This is a shorter one, and probably doesn't pack as much detail as some of the others, yet their writeup still includes very meaty content and valuable insights.
    ComputerWorld - Computerworld's review was a solid three pages, and had some useful perspectives. We especially liked how detailed they were with their discussion of Android 4.2.
    Sound off in the forums if any of this info influences your views on the next Nexus smartphone.

Source: Nexus4Forum
    1 person likes this.
  2. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

The fact that it starts at $299 unsubsidized is amazing. I wish more phones with those specs could be priced like that or even at $399.
    1 person likes this.
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I really want my wife to come over to ATT if she cancels her verizon account early. I'd be happy to either give her that phone or give her my S3 and get one of those for myself if she does. The cost is great, the phone is more than enough for her and being I like tweaking my phone, I am sure I'd be happy with it too after some dev work is on it. All in all, the price point is what makes the phone a winner. The reviews nearly all talk about lack of LTE. But come on, how many of you have an LTE phone but no LTE service? I do actually have LTE service on AT&T where I live and its great of course, but the HSPA+ network here too is very fast. For places with no LTE, HSPA+ is a life saver. Until LTE is available to 50%+ of the userbase, I don't consider it a drawback. Especially since TMobile doesn't have LTE.
  4. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

I really hadn't even factored in the lack of LTE being such an issue, but if you don't have HSPA+ speeds using the Dropbox, Google Drive, etc, ,for everything will be more than annoying. Shame VZ and Sprint screwed up the CDMA side, though of course it seems this is more to make it so that one variant works most everywhere.
  5. npro1464

npro1464 Member

Dont understand how people can cry about there not being any LTE when this phone is meant to be used on GSM prepaid carriers and there is currently no option that I know of for LTE on GSM networks.
  6. Krennel

Krennel New Member

On the prepaid GSM networks no, but AT&T is a GSM carrier that has LTE, although it is still in very few markets.

I for one am excited about this phone. If I didn't get an awesome price on a VZW dealer line I might have picked it up for a no contract AT&T/T-Mobile phone.
  7. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I have never seen over 30Mbps down on Verizon on 3 different LTE phones in good to great reception areas. Most I may have seen is 25-27Mbps. I average 10Mbps down most of the time in my area, which is a bad reception area. Out n about....I dont really know but whatever I get it is always fast.

HSPA+42 should be fine for most ppl that wanted LTE.

Now that I think about it...I always wanted to try AT&T....and this might be the perfect time with the price of this phone..
  8. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

I live in D.C. and used AT&T 3 years ago. I drank the iPhone kool-aid. Big mistake. It was so bad that I paid the ETF and went to Verizon. The two services are night and day. You might think it can't be that bad, but after using Verizon and going to AT&T you'll be suffering from buyers remorse like a MoFo. There is no part of my being that can recommend AT&T in the Washington D.C. area, especially if you use the metro. You can then say "well, I travel and AT&T is good in other cities." Nope. Your milage may vary but compared to VZW it suuuuuuuucks and your reception in between cities is so spotty it's ridiculous. My wife uses AT&T and when she drops a call and is standing there repeating, "Hello?", I peep over her shoulder and use my James Earl Jones voice to say, "This call was bought to you by... AT&T."I'm in a bad position, because The only way I'm staying with Android is by using Nexus phones ONLY. Unless I get some PROOF (like my wife's phone actually making and holding calls) that AT&T has improved there's no way in hell I'm going back to their network. If Google and Verizon can't get their junk together I may have to find a new platform to use and I'm not ashamed to admit that WP8 is on the table. A phone is only as good as the network it's on.
    1 person likes this.
Search tags for this page

should i buy the nexus 4