Hi! I have some interesting ideas...

OP
W
Reaction score
changing critical phone using things like implmenting flash

i'm sorry bro. But this is just so contradictorily perfect. You say you don't want features to bloat and bog down the system, yet you mention flash implementation? Really? Really? Flash is a standard, but talk about bloat and bogging... I'm trying real hard not to... Never mind... Lol

matth3w, this is the phone for you:

brick.jpg

not jokingly speaking, but i'm basing this off of your posted reasoning, logics, and theoretical stand points.

You could have your own "make me better" app store, that makes your phone better, without the native developers doing any work after the initial release. Hell, even apps can fix bugs. Why would the developers need to do it?

You have to understand. When you buy a dell computer, samsung, hp, etc... They are sponsored and are in joint-ventures with other companies, that ask them to include norton, spyware apps, etc... Etc... Etc... That may (back in the past specifically) slow down the system. These aren't features, these are extra third party... Software... Also called applications, which you really seem to be fond of. You ever said... "man this windows paint just slows the computer down" or "boy, this apple text edit really slows the computer down..."? These are embedded native features/softwares.

No offense, but if you were of a mastermind position over the world, we'd be still using sticks for fire, feet for transportation, one native language (advancement), and we wouldn't even have room for invention of slice bread, nor would we even have interest of finding other cultures due to our lack of native advancement.

I ask seriously... Why would you buy a smart phone, to only take advantage of its simplicity?

Your theoretical position is like bmw saying... "ahh heck who needs navigation" "ahhh hech who needs ipod connection", "ahhh heck who needs great metal", "ahhh man who needs great tires", "ahhh heckman who needs idrive", "ahh manheck... Etc..." when the car shops will just give the customers these parts?

Your logics are very anti-progressive. Although it goes against the very fibers of technological advancement, i due respect it, as all opinions and ideas should never be shot down, like the remnants of this thread will show. :) "lets not make this product better, lets let others make it better, while company a brings all the great features you may or not may find in third-party apps to their native os". You really have to understand coding and processor speeds before you say "bloat" and "bog" when it comes to tech load without the said features even being implemented.

:)

hey!

Give me my phone back!

*Peter Griffin voice* NO! My phone...

Ok, back on topic, please post some ideas you all would like to see in the future on this phone natively.

loop4zil

Reaction score
..... It was my choice what to bloat my phone with...someone didn't choose some worthless feel good feature for me that I would never use....othing pisses me off more than having specific things FORCED on me by a company.....Most people got the Droid because they DON'T like how Apple forces everything down their customers' throats...why would I buy a fully customizable phone and then request that the manufacturer of the phone stuff a bunch of **** on there and make it mandatory?

?

The blank-canvas-aspect of Android is very cool...but...the TCO of an Android phone can be in the 2500 dollar range...BEFORE you pay for any apps (Two year everything plan plus phone). With that 2500 dollar commitment it would be nice to have some bells and whistles...AND have the phone spin like a top with crystal clear calls that never drop plus the ability to call from the top of Everest.

So I think it is good to have features built in...and balance it out with the ability to mod them out of your phone if you are sweating it....

Also I would bet that Rooters make up a tiny tiny portion of the android customer base....so for Android to be succesful (we all want that right) it will have to be a feature rich platform to attract all of the folks migrating to Smartphones and tablets over the next few years.

I wonder how Symbian being opened up will impact Android.

OP
W
Reaction score
The blank-canvas-aspect of Android is very cool...but...the TCO of an Android phone can be in the 2500 dollar range...BEFORE you pay for any apps (Two year everything plan plus phone). With that 2500 dollar commitment it would be nice to have some bells and whistles...AND have the phone spin like a top with crystal clear calls that never drop plus the ability to call from the top of Everest.

So I think it is good to have features built in...and balance it out with the ability to mod them out of your phone if you are sweating it....

Also I would bet that Rooters make up a tiny tiny portion of the android customer base....so for Android to be succesful (we all want that right) it will have to be a feature rich platform to attract all of the folks migrating to Smartphones and tablets over the next few years.

I wonder how Symbian being opened up will impact Android.

This post is a win... but...

loop, but some people... don't understand what "option" is, and doesn't understand simple binary... on, offs... they assume that because something exists, they MUST use it. LOL

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Ohhhhh... ok sport... you win... ;)

Several times, in fact over and over, you seem to dismiss the point that a lot of the things you requested/wished for could be accomplished with market place apps by saying that it wasn't "native". Why would it matter where the feature came from? It seems that your logic would mean that I should not be pleased that I was able to download and use a fantastic browser like xScope because it wasn't "native". The ability and functionality is what's important. Not how it got on the phone.

And btw, in any discussion/argument the first person to start "calling the party names" loses. That would be you.

OP
W
Reaction score

Several times, in fact over and over, you seem to dismiss the point that a lot of the things you requested/wished for could be accomplished with market place apps by saying that it wasn't "native". Why would it matter where the feature came from? It seems that your logic would mean that I should not be pleased that I was able to download and use a fantastic browser like xScope because it wasn't "native". The ability and functionality is what's important. Not how it got on the phone.

And btw, in any discussion/argument the first person to start "calling the party names" loses. That would be you.

*giggles*

You seem a bit emotional. Dance it off... :icon_ banana: Thiz iz the internetz!

"Why would it matter where the feature came from?"

Educate yourself:

A History of Apple's Operating Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/WinHistoryProGraphic.mspx

Operating system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you think there should be no more updates right? Let all the third-parties do it? That makes a lot of sense buddy... oh wait... excuse me... I said "buddy"... I lose again? :icon_ devil:

Someone please tell me this forum is not full of uptight members like BayouFlyFisher, Matth3w, etc... I'm new here, and there was a warm introduction in the introduction forum, but if this forum is full of sour tarts... eh...

BostonBill

Reaction score
I'm not a techy. Just a guy who needed a phone. My contract was up and I didn't think I could afford an Iphone. Since getting my droid, I've spent a little more time looking at other google projects such as chrome. It seems like the two big things they are pushing is speed and cloud computing. Make it fast, cheap and cooperatively better, by putting a lot things out open source and beta. Seems to be their vision of the future. As for me, if they come out with a chrome powered tablet, it might be time for me to jump onto the cloud.
Being able to index within files? absolutely
Being able to watch the sunset on my phone? make it an app.

loop4zil

Reaction score

My guess is that either manufacturers or service providers will begin adding feature to Android in an effort to differentiate thier products from the competion. Look at what HTC did with SenseUI. When I first began looking into Smartphones almost ALL of the sales reps pointed to HTC phones as the ultimate option for Android because of their 'proprietary' spin on UI. I did my own reasearch and chose the droid becuase of its superior hardware and it was running 2.0. I figured that it being a linux based OS there would be some slick mods available that could do everything I wanted and i would not have to sacrifice speeds and feeds...but I am not a typical user...probably neither are you. Most people will not go to the 'trouble' that we have gone too to make the phone rock and roll. When I sit down with an average user and tell them all the crud I have done with the phone to make it superior they glaze over. And these people make up the bulk of the market.

So...I think that Android will have to continually improve...by addition...in order to appeal to a wider audience.

OP
W
Reaction score
I'm not a techy. Just a guy who needed a phone. My contract was up and I didn't think I could afford an Iphone. Since getting my droid, I've spent a little more time looking at other google projects such as chrome. It seems like the two big things they are pushing is speed and cloud computing. Make it fast, cheap and cooperatively better, by putting a lot things out open source and beta. Seems to be their vision of the future. As for me, if they come out with a chrome powered tablet, it might be time for me to jump onto the cloud.
Being able to index within files? absolutely
Being able to watch the sunset on my phone? make it an app.

Why can't we (the ones who would like to) watch the sunset on the phone natively as an option? Option as meaning, you can disable it, or perhaps enable it. You don't like it/don't need it... disable, or enable! Its out your hair!

Chain of advancement in technology:

a innovates, b follows, c innovates, b innovates, a innovates, d follows, e follows

If Google, or Apple, or Microsoft, took great functionality and eye candy ideas and added features as native accessibility FIRST (a), the others will follow for a while. Functionality, in reality (rhymes lol), isn't everything. Design, looks, aesthetics, etc... mean a lot too. Apple, has a "look", Microsoft has a "look", Google has a "look". So I don't think people should put down visual enhancements or eye candy, especially when they are bundled with performance enhancers.

If Google, for example, does bring the time synced wallpaper to a phone OS, mind you that is already on their E-Mail system... Gmail, natively, this will push the third-part app developers to be more innovative. Its a chain. One pushes, the supporters push from being pushed, and some pull (followers).

Multi-touch, a feature... many regard as eye-candy... is a stamp for the iPhone OS. To praise Apple, they were very open minded in that feature, they didn't say "nah... we got double tap... lets stop here... let third-party do it", they went for it, made it native... and look at all the press/mess about it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Most people will not go to the 'trouble' that we have gone too to make the phone rock and roll. When I sit down with an average user and tell them all the crud I have done with the phone to make it superior they glaze over. And these people make up the bulk of the market.

So...I think that Android will have to continually improve...by addition...in order to appeal to a wider audience.

loop, would you mind if I just copy and paste this quote to defend any of the ones downing native improvement? Its very tiring defending suggestions. lol This sums up a professional answer that any developer with a good head on their shoulders, developing product for a mass, would tell you.

BostonBill

Reaction score
"Why can't we (the ones who would like to) watch the sunset on the phone natively as an option? Option as meaning, you can disable it, or perhaps enable it. You don't like it/don't need it... disable, or enable! Its out your hair!"

Because, IMO, it would add cost and slow things down.

OP
W
Reaction score
"Why can't we (the ones who would like to) watch the sunset on the phone natively as an option? Option as meaning, you can disable it, or perhaps enable it. You don't like it/don't need it... disable, or enable! Its out your hair!"

Because, IMO, it would add cost and slow things down.

I respect your opinion. I would expect that every update, costs. But you think a animated .gif file would slow down the phone?

loop4zil

Reaction score
Most people will not go to the 'trouble' that we have gone too to make the phone rock and roll. When I sit down with an average user and tell them all the crud I have done with the phone to make it superior they glaze over. And these people make up the bulk of the market.

loop, would you mind if I just copy and paste this quote to defend any of the ones downing native improvement? Its very tiring defending suggestions. lol This sums up a professional answer that any developer with a good head on their shoulders, developing product for a mass, would tell you.

Feel free.

Android is in its infancy. I heard rumors of 3.0 around the corner. If it is going to continue to compete it is going to have to be more...I am POSITIVE that they will continue to add to its native capability. We already see 2.1 adobt capabilities that were app or mod addons when the latest was 2.01 (voice to text, multi-touch, improved UI for native music apps etc.)

I see non-technicaly-interested people get nothing out of an android phone. There is a person in my office who can barley operate a windows pc...this person has a Droid...it KILLS me...I showed this person Shazam...that and calling people is all this person uses it for. GOSH ALMIGHTY...People like this they will leave the platform for easier to use..even if it is more restrictive...mobile os if they see their friends getting more out of the phone...even if they are being led down a path.

Google/cell manufacturers/service providers will continue to have to strike a balance between addons/native capabilities/raw power/flexibilty

OP
W
Reaction score

Feel free.

Android is in its infancy. I heard rumors of 3.0 around the corner. If it is going to continue to compete it is going to have to be more...I am POSITIVE that they will continue to add to its native capability. We already see 2.1 adobt capabilities that were app or mod addons when the latest was 2.01 (voice to text, multi-touch, improved UI for native music apps etc.)

I see non-technicaly-interested people get nothing out of an android phone. There is a person in my office who can barley operate a windows pc...this person has a Droid...it KILLS me...I showed this person Shazam...that and calling people is all this person uses it for. GOSH ALMIGHTY...People like this they will leave the platform for easier to use..even if it is more restrictive...mobile os if they see their friends getting more out of the phone...even if they are being led down a path.

Google/cell manufacturers/service providers will continue to have to strike a balance between addons/native capabilities/raw power/flexibilty

Why didn't you come into this thread earlier? lol