Hi! I have some interesting ideas...

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
The wallpapers changing over time is already in 2.1 for some of the live ones, if not already mentioned.

loop4zil

Reaction score
I like the Idea of 5 screens...home in the middle and then 4 others up, down, left to right. That way one swipe gets me to what ever area I need.

Would be nice if deleting data files were a bit easier...but it is not a big deal to me.

The lock screen is an area that needs improvement in my opinion. Would be nice to be able to display more info on the lock screen if you wanted too. For example if the lock screen gave you the option of displaying the certain size widget of your choice (I would choose Pure Grid Calender or Pure messenger). I see lots of apps out there that replace lock screens...nice and all... but I see benefit to it being native. I am hoping that one of the ROMS out there takes this on.

I think there are widgets that force landscape mode out there....but yes would be cool to have it native to OS.

good thoughts....

OP
W
Reaction score
I like the Idea of 5 screens...home in the middle and then 4 others up, down, left to right. That way one swipe gets me to what ever area I need.

Would be nice if deleting data files were a bit easier...but it is not a big deal to me.

The lock screen is an area that needs improvement in my opinion. Would be nice to be able to display more info on the lock screen if you wanted too. For example if the lock screen gave you the option of displaying the certain size widget of your choice (I would choose Pure Grid Calender or Pure messenger). I see lots of apps out there that replace lock screens...nice and all... but I see benefit to it being native. I am hoping that one of the ROMS out there takes this on.

I think there are widgets that force landscape mode out there....but yes would be cool to have it native to OS.

good thoughts....

Thanks! Good ideas also!

So, your saying at the lock screen, they would allow a widget of choice? That makes perfect sense. Maybe a current news widget would help that busy news edge business man that doesn't have that much time to doodle on his phone, but wants to quickly see whats new on the news. It makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your contribution.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I'm still hoping for the ability to do an alphabetical sort within a folder, eventually. Seems like a fairly basic function that wouldn't be tough to include in a future Android release.

M

Matth3w

I think that perhaps we should have them include every app from the market in future releases.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I think that perhaps we should have them include every app from the market in future releases.

Better yet, why should future releases improve or change anything at all? They should all be the same. That'll show 'em.

M

Matth3w

Changing critical phone using things like implmenting flash and fixing bugs is one thing. Incorporating things thagt you can do for free if you so desire from the market is pointless and needlessly adds to the operating system...which is already stuffed onto a miniscule internal memory

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Changing critical phone using things like implmenting flash and fixing bugs is one thing. Incorporating things thagt you can do for free if you so desire from the market is pointless and needlessly adds to the operating system...which is already stuffed onto a miniscule internal memory

I'm certainly not in favor of cruft-laden bloatware a la Windows, but Android is a fairly new OS, and as such, seems to be short on some fairly basic standard features of an OS. When was the last time you used an OS which wouldn't list the files in a directory in alphabetical order?

I agree that most things are better left as optional apps, especially when memory is an issue. But for Android to continue to be a viable OS, improvements (and not just bug fixes) must be made. Unfortunately, this will probably mean bloat as well.

M

Matth3w

Your idea is an example of something I have no problem with, though. Basic file structure is something core to the os. A frilly wallaper that changes with time or the home screens doing something different is not

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Your idea is an example of something I have no problem with, though. Basic file structure is something core to the os. A frilly wallaper that changes with time or the home screens doing something different is not

Then we seem to be in agreement. I had thought your #35 post was a direct response to my #34. My mistake.

OP
W
Reaction score
Changing critical phone using things like implmenting flash

I'm sorry bro. But this is just so contradictorily perfect. You say you don't want features to bloat and bog down the system, yet you mention Flash implementation? Really? REALLY? Flash is a standard, but talk about bloat and bogging... I'm trying real hard not to... never mind... lol

Matth3w, this is the phone for you:

Brick.jpg

Not jokingly speaking, but I'm basing this off of your posted reasoning, logics, and theoretical stand points.

You could have your own "Make Me Better" app store, that makes your phone better, without the native developers doing any work after the initial release. Hell, even apps can fix bugs. Why would the developers need to do it?

You have to understand. When you buy a Dell computer, Samsung, HP, etc... they are sponsored and are in joint-ventures with other companies, that ask them to include Norton, Spyware Apps, etc... etc... etc... that may (back in the past specifically) slow down the system. These aren't features, these are extra third party... software... also called applications, which you really seem to be fond of. You ever said... "man this Windows Paint just slows the computer down" or "boy, this Apple text edit really slows the computer down..."? These are embedded native features/softwares.

No offense, but if you were of a mastermind position over the world, we'd be still using sticks for fire, feet for transportation, one native language (advancement), and we wouldn't even have room for invention of slice bread, nor would we even have interest of finding other cultures due to our lack of native advancement.

I ask seriously... why would you buy a smart phone, to only take advantage of its simplicity?

Your theoretical position is like BMW saying... "ahh heck who needs navigation" "ahhh hech who needs iPod connection", "ahhh heck who needs great metal", "ahhh man who needs great tires", "ahhh heckman who needs iDrive", "ahh manheck... etc..." when the car shops will just give the customers these parts?

Your logics are very anti-progressive. Although it goes against the very fibers of technological advancement, I due respect it, as all opinions and ideas should never be shot down, like the remnants of this thread will show. :) "Lets not make this product better, lets let others make it better, while Company A brings all the great features you may or not may find in third-party apps to their native OS". You really have to understand coding and processor speeds before you say "bloat" and "bog" when it comes to tech load without the said features even being implemented.

:)

OP
W
Reaction score
I'm certainly not in favor of cruft-laden bloatware a la Windows, but Android is a fairly new OS, and as such, seems to be short on some fairly basic standard features of an OS. When was the last time you used an OS which wouldn't list the files in a directory in alphabetical order?

I agree that most things are better left as optional apps, especially when memory is an issue. But for Android to continue to be a viable OS, improvements (and not just bug fixes) must be made. Unfortunately, this will probably mean bloat as well.

I like your thinking ghost.

And when Google does improve Android to use more of a resource load, it will push the hardware manufactures to step their size, processor, virtual memory resources through the roof to support the changes. Its technology pushing technology. Its a perfect Ouroboros.

M

Matth3w

Flash I only want because some web pages are ESSENTIAL to view with Flash. You can't visit the full content of 99% of news or sports websites without Flash. You MUST have it. Flash sucks, but until Silverlight or something else overtakes it, it's still the industry standard on like 85% of the top webpages.

I don't NOT take advantage of a smartphone. I have a TON of apps...but they are apps that I WANT and I had the OPTION of installing. It was my choice what to bloat my phone with...someone didn't choose some worthless feel good feature for me that I would never use.

Your suggestions don't make the Droid any better than, say, adding the stupid flower to the dashboard in a Volkswagon Beetle. They serve no real technological purpose.

And your logic is horribly flawed. You basically relate me shooting down your ideas to the dislike of technology but that is COMPLETELY WRONG. For two reasons:

1) You fail to realize this technology already exists, it just doesn't come native on the phone, which you are sticking to like a fat person with cake.

2) I never said they were horrible ideas. I said they were horrible ideas to force on users by making them native to the operating system.

It's not like I'm saying "don't develop anything for the Droid" - I am just saying, don't FORCE people to accept your ideas by putting them into the OS natively.

If your ideas are so wonderful (frankly I think they're mediocre anyhow) and breathtaking, they will be the top apps or downloads available on the market.

Nothing pisses me off more than having specific things FORCED on me by a company. Perhaps Apple is a better company for you. They spoonfeed you everything, you don't have to do anything. They will tell you exactly what you want and how you will use and buy it. Perhaps that would be a better avenue for you.

You said you wanted comments, good or bad, so then not everyone agrees with you and you start acting like butt hurt nancy.

Most people got the Droid because they DON'T like how Apple forces everything down their customers' throats...why would I buy a fully customizable phone and then request that the manufacturer of the phone stuff a bunch of **** on there and make it mandatory?

You still have yet to address why, if it is so good to keep adding non-essential features to the phone, people are willing to hack their phones JUST to remove programs they don't use that were already bloating the system like Corporate Calendar and Amazon. You think if your ideas were implemented people wouldn't do the same exact thing?

loop4zil

Reaction score
changing critical phone using things like implmenting flash

i'm sorry bro. But this is just so contradictorily perfect. You say you don't want features to bloat and bog down the system, yet you mention flash implementation? Really? Really? Flash is a standard, but talk about bloat and bogging... I'm trying real hard not to... Never mind... Lol

matth3w, this is the phone for you:

brick.jpg

not jokingly speaking, but i'm basing this off of your posted reasoning, logics, and theoretical stand points.

You could have your own "make me better" app store, that makes your phone better, without the native developers doing any work after the initial release. Hell, even apps can fix bugs. Why would the developers need to do it?

You have to understand. When you buy a dell computer, samsung, hp, etc... They are sponsored and are in joint-ventures with other companies, that ask them to include norton, spyware apps, etc... Etc... Etc... That may (back in the past specifically) slow down the system. These aren't features, these are extra third party... Software... Also called applications, which you really seem to be fond of. You ever said... "man this windows paint just slows the computer down" or "boy, this apple text edit really slows the computer down..."? These are embedded native features/softwares.

No offense, but if you were of a mastermind position over the world, we'd be still using sticks for fire, feet for transportation, one native language (advancement), and we wouldn't even have room for invention of slice bread, nor would we even have interest of finding other cultures due to our lack of native advancement.

I ask seriously... Why would you buy a smart phone, to only take advantage of its simplicity?

Your theoretical position is like bmw saying... "ahh heck who needs navigation" "ahhh hech who needs ipod connection", "ahhh heck who needs great metal", "ahhh man who needs great tires", "ahhh heckman who needs idrive", "ahh manheck... Etc..." when the car shops will just give the customers these parts?

Your logics are very anti-progressive. Although it goes against the very fibers of technological advancement, i due respect it, as all opinions and ideas should never be shot down, like the remnants of this thread will show. :) "lets not make this product better, lets let others make it better, while company a brings all the great features you may or not may find in third-party apps to their native os". You really have to understand coding and processor speeds before you say "bloat" and "bog" when it comes to tech load without the said features even being implemented.

:)

hey!

Give me my phone back!