Hi! I have some interesting ideas...

Reaction score
Hello!

Now I love my Droid... but I have some (cool?) ideas that maybe you will like if implemented in a future release of the Android OS so maybe we can all enjoy these features. Please tell me what you think about these ideas below:

System Usability Enhancements

I) Trash Can - Yes we know dragging a icon to the bottom to the handle, turning it red, displaying a trash can rids the area of the dragged item, but wouldn't it be cool if we had a Droid trash can? Deleted a program, song, picture, etc... on accident, or want it back quickly? It'd be cool if we had a trash basket we could go in, clean out, or restore items.

II) Non-continuous Screen Lock Patterns - Ever wanted to make a design pattern for your screen lock that has a minimum of 4 dots, but didn't have to be continuous? I think this will also increase security measures.

III) Delete Gallery Folder - Ever wanted to just wipe out a full folder of pictures, instead of individually? I think this would be a cool feature. I know it can be done alternatively through other apps, but it would be nice to have the feature ready from the native system.

GUI Enhancements

I) Up, and Down screens... - Now on your droid, you can scroll left, and right which unveils new screens for usage. I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if we also were able to scroll up and down @ our home screen? It would be a different take on the phone experience (I have yet to see a phone do this, maybe I shouldn't put this idea out there? lol) and will also enable larger wallpaper selections.

II) What Time Is It? Wallpapers - Would you like it if (of course with 2.1) there were certain wallpapers that changed according to the time of day? What about in real time? Could you imagine having a wallpaper of a farm, that gets darker and darker as the hours go by? Of course these wallpapers will be synced with your system clock. Or is this already an option in 2.1?

III) Landscape Anywhere - I think an option for turning your home screen into Landscape mode without needing the keyboard open would be cool. More coolness than usability, but the fit or holding it that way sometimes is just very comfortable. It would be nice to see your wallpapers in landscape anytime also.

User Experience Enhancements

I) Welcome Home - How about after launching up your Droid, and unlocking it, you have the option to have a song play at your home screen? This doesn't technically benefit the user, but boy, wouldn't that be awesome for some users? The users who love music, I think will enjoy this feature. A nice welcome. Of course options to turn this off will be of quick access. Also, songs wouldn't have to be only used, you can use any sound, regardless of length to welcome you to your phone.

Application Cooperation Enhancements

I) Copy Google Translation - Ever want to copy a translation from the Google Translator app and paste it in a text message to send to a loved one, or just sound cool? I think the option of copying the text from the translator would be cool, and usable.

P.S. If any of these are available via the native system, please let me know. If you don't like some of these ideas? Please be vocal about it, and maybe offer a suggestion, or a supporting reason for your disapproval? I won't get angry if you disagree, we are all humans... well sorta... :icon_ devil:

Last but not least, I want to hear you alls ideas!

iPirate

Reaction score
I think the wall paper is a great idea and I hope to see some like that. I know google themes for google.com/ig has this on the theme I use.

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
II) Non-continuous Screen Lock Patterns - Ever wanted to make a design pattern for your screen lock that has a minimum of 4 dots, but didn't have to be continuous? I think this will also increase security measures.

GUI Enhancements

I) Up, and Down screens... - Now on your droid, you can scroll left, and right which unveils new screens for usage. I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if we also were able to scroll up and down @ our home screen? It would be a different take on the phone experience (I have yet to see a phone do this, maybe I shouldn't put this idea out there? lol) and will also enable larger wallpaper selections.

II) What Time Is It? Wallpapers - Would you like it if (of course with 2.1) there were certain wallpapers that changed according to the time of day? What about in real time? Could you imagine having a wallpaper of a farm, that gets darker and darker as the hours go by? Of course these wallpapers will be synced with your system clock. Or is this already an option in 2.1?

I) Welcome Home - How about after launching up your Droid, and unlocking it, you have the option to have a song play at your home screen? This doesn't technically benefit the user, but boy, wouldn't that be awesome for some users? The users who love music, I think will enjoy this feature. A nice welcome. Of course options to turn this off will be of quick access. Also, songs wouldn't have to be only used, you can use any sound, regardless of length to welcome you to your phone.
Those are the ones I like... might like em all, but I wont actually have a droid for another 16 days... oh man its been hard counting down the days since october... but I really like the idea of up down screens, I wouldn't mind that to be the way to have 5 homes, or even 9, super sick

OP
W
Reaction score

GUI Enhancements

Those are the ones I like... might like em all, but I wont actually have a droid for another 16 days... oh man its been hard counting down the days since october... but I really like the idea of up down screens, I wouldn't mind that to be the way to have 5 homes, or even 9, super sick

Thank you a lot. You will love your Droid when you get it.

yeah I think the wallpaper idea is really cool.

Thank you a lot.

Hopefully Google can somehow come across this thread, and/or implement these features.

M

Matth3w

Did you know you spelled "coffee" wrong in your username?

More importantly, I highly doubt the developers of the OS are reading this forum and interested in your ideas. I know that sounds mean, but it's most likely 99% true.

OP
W
Reaction score
Did you know you spelled "coffee" wrong in your username?

More importantly, I highly doubt the developers of the OS are reading this forum and interested in your ideas. I know that sounds mean, but it's most likely 99% true.

I'm full aware on the wordplay on my username. I left it out on purpose. Thanks for reminding me though.

I'm a realist. I fully understand that it is very unlikely that they would be roaming this forum, and say "wow, we should use these ideas". Thats why I said "hopefully"... because nothing is impossible.

Now, would you mind commenting on the ideas, positive, negative, it doesn't matter. Thanks. :)

M

Matth3w

I) Trash Can - Yes we know dragging a icon to the bottom to the handle, turning it red, displaying a trash can rids the area of the dragged item, but wouldn't it be cool if we had a Droid trash can? Deleted a program, song, picture, etc... on accident, or want it back quickly? It'd be cool if we had a trash basket we could go in, clean out, or restore items.

Waste of space. Deleting something from the desktop doesn't delete it permanently so the time it would take to open a trash can and restore it I could re-create a widget or just re-drag the file onto the desktop.

You can download an app to do more secure lock screens if you really want to punch in a code or do something like this that is more complicated every time you get a text.

III) Delete Gallery Folder - Ever wanted to just wipe out a full folder of pictures, instead of individually? I think this would be a cool feature. I know it can be done alternatively through other apps, but it would be nice to have the feature ready from the native system.

Ok, I'll bite. Not important to me but not a horrible idea.

Personally, no. I'm sure some people would like this, but...There are home replacement apps that do this and it really isn't appealing. Seems to me like this kind of stuff requires more code, and there is no reason to bloat the operating system. A bunch of small things like this really lead to a much bigger footprint which is probably why most home replacement apps, the biggest complaint that I see is usually that it lags.

Another thing that bloats the operating system and lags the phone, consuming resources and battery. It would be neat for like one day, but then when you see it takes up like 1% of your battery or so (yeah, it only changes once per day, but to figure out what time it is, the process would have to stay on in the background, constantly checking to see what time it was) and really has ZERO to do with functionality of the phone, I think many people would delete it. Much like live wallpapers in 2.1. People will use them for awhile and then most likely they will lag the phone to even the smallest extent, and so people will most likely pick even a minor increase in speed over some stupid moving wall paper that is covered up by icons anyhow. Furthermore, what would that function really serve? Unless you are in a windowless prison cell it's not like you need to be reminded that it's getting dark out.

III) Landscape Anywhere - I think an option for turning your home screen into Landscape mode without needing the keyboard open would be cool. More coolness than usability, but the fit or holding it that way sometimes is just very comfortable. It would be nice to see your wallpapers in landscape anytime also.

Home replacement apps and rooted phones already do this.

There is probably already some way to do this. But honestly the little notification sound that plays already is annoying enough as it is. When I boot my phone up (rare unless I am working on rooting something) I want it to start up as quick as possible, not be lagged down an extra couple of seconds by an annoying song. Perhaps if people wanted this they could turn an option to select what ring when it starts up.

I) Copy Google Translation - Ever want to copy a translation from the Google Translator app and paste it in a text message to send to a loved one, or just sound cool? I think the option of copying the text from the translator would be cool, and usable.

Nope. And the Droid doesn't seem to support any Middle Eastern language natively so I can't use my second and third languages anyhow. Starting by installing font support for Arabic and Persian-Farsi would be a good start.
You asked for it, so my comments are in red bold italic. Sorry if they seem pessemistic but I really don't care for all that show off stuff. I want my phone to operate as quick as possible with the least amount of bull**** possible. I hate little frilly things that take up too much space and operating power.

OP
W
Reaction score
Oooh! A challenge! You will have to excuse me, I kind of feed off of these things...

Ok, first and foremost, let me make clear if it wasn't. I know some apps do some of these ideas, and some hacks, but that is totally different from the the native system executing these functions. Ok... lets proceed...

Waste of space. Deleting something from the desktop doesn't delete it permanently so the time it would take to open a trash can and restore it I could re-create a widget or just re-drag the file onto the desktop.

You think that, as Operating Systems like Windows OS, all of Apple Mac OSs trash can devices are... a "waste of space"? Really now? Mind you, I said "Yes we know..." indicating that the trashcan wouldn't be for the desktop icons, because if you own the phone, you know that all the app icons on the home screen are just file aliases. I'm talking about deleted songs, files, pictures, etc... as I clearly stated. Please reread.

You can download an app to do more secure lock screens if you really want to punch in a code or do something like this that is more complicated every time you get a text.

Once again, something the Native System can do. We aren't talking about alternative code measures, we are talking about enhancements on the security accessibility that is currently active, the pattern system. Also, it would of course be a design, so all the users who like the simple square pattern, can keep that simple pattern so they can hurry to their text messages.

Ok, I'll bite. Not important to me but not a horrible idea.

I think he likes it Mikey... :icon_ banana:

Personally, no. I'm sure some people would like this, but...There are home replacement apps that do this and it really isn't appealing. Seems to me like this kind of stuff requires more code, and there is no reason to bloat the operating system. A bunch of small things like this really lead to a much bigger footprint which is probably why most home replacement apps, the biggest complaint that I see is usually that it lags.

Once again, Native System features, not third-party. This kind of stuff would require more code, as in every update, download, new feature, etc.. does. I have experience in coding in a multitude of languages ranging from C# from in-between to Java and so on... this would be a simple adjustment. Simple allow support for a higher resolution image, and invert the code options for the left and right panels. Nothing would be bloated, you wouldn't even know its there. Trust me.

Another thing that bloats the operating system and lags the phone, consuming resources and battery. It would be neat for like one day, but then when you see it takes up like 1% of your battery or so (yeah, it only changes once per day, but to figure out what time it is, the process would have to stay on in the background, constantly checking to see what time it was) and really has ZERO to do with functionality of the phone, I think many people would delete it. Much like live wallpapers in 2.1. People will use them for awhile and then most likely they will lag the phone to even the smallest extent, and so people will most likely pick even a minor increase in speed over some stupid moving wall paper that is covered up by icons anyhow. Furthermore, what would that function really serve? Unless you are in a windowless prison cell it's not like you need to be reminded that it's getting dark out.

Another thing that wouldn't bloat the system. We aren't talking about Flash encoded wallpapers, we are talking about simple wallpapers that change with the systems internal clock. You ever had a clock widget on your home screen? Well essentially, that clock is doing exactly what the wallpaper would be doing... actually more, especially looking at the factors of the clock is actually adding to the wallpaper that is always have to be there, constantly rotating graphics, and sync with the internal clock. But as you say, who needs a clock on there desktop, essentially when they could just look up on the notification bar and see the time? I know this has no enhancement to the functionality of the phone, which should be clearly indicated by the big label "GUI Enhancement" in 5 size font, coated in blue bolded color. :)

Home replacement apps and rooted phones already do this.

Once again, does Native System do this?

There is probably already some way to do this. But honestly the little notification sound that plays already is annoying enough as it is. When I boot my phone up (rare unless I am working on rooting something) I want it to start up as quick as possible, not be lagged down an extra couple of seconds by an annoying song. Perhaps if people wanted this they could turn an option to select what ring when it starts up.

I doubt it would lag, but who knows. Let me check something. Ok I just played a song from a unopened music player. Ran smoothly. I doubt it would cause lag. But once again, something I would deeply enjoy, and would also be a option. Aesthetics is something to be admired.

Nope. And the Droid doesn't seem to support any Middle Eastern language natively so I can't use my second and third languages anyhow. Starting by installing font support for Arabic and Persian-Farsi would be a good start.

I sure have. No offense, but the app not supporting your native language, or secondary, etc... has nothing to do with its ability to allow copy and pasting features. I'm going to Japan this September... I will meet friends there... I will be over there texting my family back home in the states, I would want to say "Good Morning" to them in Japanese, and it would be nice to translate it from Google Translate, copy it, and paste it in a text message. :)
You asked for it, so my comments are in red bold italic. Sorry if they seem pessemistic but I really don't care for all that show off stuff. I want my phone to operate as quick as possible with the least amount of bull**** possible. I hate little frilly things that take up too much space and operating power.

Ok! Done. I didn't come to this site to be a debating, debunking, dork (triple d's?) cause that usually leads people to calling you another "d" name that isn't so kind. LOL I'm going back to my happy state! lol

Its been fun!

M

Matth3w

My big point is that the phone is designed to be just above bare minimum...so rather than, for example, buying a Dell or something with 43057982430985 programs on it that 75% or more people don't need, they provided a somewhat basic shell that you can customize.

If they implemented every change out there as an optional piece, they wouldn't need the Market.

If you think these things, as they add up, won't bloat and slow down the OS, I would tend to say that you are wrong. Hell people on this forum already wanted to root their phone JUST to get rid of the Amazon and Corporate Calendar applications...

Now imagine if you take all your ideas and other ideas and start adding all that crap...

Reaction score
Mathew got *Cough* Owned. lmao. i Love good mature conversations. Damned marines get hot headed every time they get pwnd. I think all your idea's are bad ass and i like the "out of the box" thought. Maybe People would like to better customize their devices and some people want them quicker..Theres no reason to call any idea useless. Keep 'em comin "coffe" man!

M

Matth3w

Uh, how did I get "owned"? If you think these things don't increase the size and decrease the performance of the OS after awhile, you clearly have never bought a pre-built computer with ZERO apps installed compared to something like an HP with 34507945 apps pre-installed.

One app or two apps by themselves don't do much. But when you start adding this and that here and there, after awhile, it accumulates. Just look through the "What can I do with my rooted droid" thread.

People practically started rooting their droids here JUST to rename/get rid of Amazon and Corporate Calendar apps.