Help with Rooting, Titanium Backup, and installation of Google Voice

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
So i just rooted my droid razr this morning and i verified that i have root access and i have super user. Done. Now i installed Titanium Back Up and I want to freeze apps. Can somebody point me in the direction of how exactly to do that and what apps would be good to freeze? I want to pretty much freeze all the Verizon bloatware and whatever else is not really needed or necessary. Also i followed a video on YouTube on installing Google now using root explorer and moving the file and renaming it and everything. I followed the video through every step. The next step after rebooting was to go to the play store and to download voice for google now app...i looked in the play store and could not find it and i need that in order to get the voice working on google now.

Some other questions i have are in regards to rooting. So i rooted and have SU...is installing the fast boot files the next step that i need to do? And is there anything else about rooting that i need to know or do?

Last edited:
OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
So i am a visual learner and decided to watch this youtube video on how to install Google Now on a razr running ICS. [video=youtube;RvSb8rZFuws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvSb8rZFuws[/video]

I followed the instructions in the video and did everything he said. I got to the end of the video and he said to go the Play Store and down the app called voice search for Google Now. I looked and looked and I couldnt find that app. So i went back to just see if the google now that i put on my device was working and it wasnt. So i was stuck. After reading and more researching i realized that i put the wrong file on my sd card...i put the m6 instead of the M7. So i plugged my phone into my cpu and found the googlesearchbox.apk that i had to rename and everything and deleted that and then i put the StockGoogleSeach.zip on there. I then rebooted into recovery and tried to flash it and it said it failed. So i rebooted anyways and went to see if the OG Google Search thing was working and it is not.I then click on it again and the google now app is still on there apparently but force closes. Im stuck and do not know what to do. Can i just redownload the correct M7 file and go through the same process in this video to get it working or what? Im really frustrated at myself and the whole situation. I rushed into this bc i was so excited to get it and now i screwed up. So i am turning to the smart folks on here for help which is greatly appreciated.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Ok, first lets address freezing apps. Open TB and select the Backup/Restore tab. That will give you a listing of all apps. Select the app you want to freeze, when a dialog box opens it gives you several options, select freeze. You defrost an app the same way. As far as what apps to freeze, that is totally up to you and how you use your phone. There are a number of threads in this and other forums with list of apps users have frozen...you can use that as a starting point. One work of caution...you may freeze an app that seems to be something you will never or want to use. Sometimes freezing that app will keep a seemingly unrelated app from working correctly. Example: I froze yahoo calendar app and discovered that my google calendar did not work correctly...so I had to defrost the yahoo app to get google calendar to work. Sometimes it's trial and error. I strongly recommend you do not freeze any thing that has a com.android or motorola (red in color) file name. Those are usually critical to proper system operations. Just remember that defrosting an app is just as easy as freezing one if something is not working correctly.

I don't use google now, but I will try to help. I noticed you didn't mention that you had ClockWorkMod installed. You have to have that to flash the googlenow zip file if I'm not mistaken. Here are two links that may help you: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...cs-ice-cream-sandwich-4-0-android-device.html and http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...available-ics-devices-via-flashable-zips.html

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Here is the list of bloatware that is safe for freezing with Titanium Backup, don't EVER remove or delete anything.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/200131-droid-razr-bloat-safe-removal.html

As far as this tutorial goes I am a little confused on it because the link he posts to in the video is the same post over at XDA I used to get it on my Razr. However that post shows a completely different method that you have to have a custom recovery installed such as Clockwork.

I would say if possible undo what you have done and leave it be for now, unless of course you want to install a custom recovery. Which I would advise against until a lot more research is done and you are sure it is something you understand and will need to have.

I see you said that you deleted the stock Googlesearchbox.apk and didn't keep a backup? If that is true then you will need someone to either post the stock one back on here so you can put it back in place.

If that won't work that leads into your next question about fastboot files. Those files will return your phones system files to a completely stock state, as in no root and no custom modifications like this Google Now. So if no one can put that stock APP on here you are going to need to use those fastboot files and get yourself back to stock, otherwise when it comes time to upgrade you are going to have problems.

The Razr Utility version 1.8 or 1.81 has the fastboot files you need, though I would recommend using RSD Lite and the actual fastboot file directly and bypass that utility for this process.

I did a write up that will help you with the RSD lite process, and a few other things.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/218746-all-eggs-one-basket.html

As always I recommend reading, reading, reading, and then proceeding before mistakes are made that can't be undone. As of yet I think you are still fine, honestly the fastboot files and going back to stock might be your best bet at the moment. Google Now is a nice gimmick but not something to brick a phone over.

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Here is the list of bloatware that is safe for freezing with Titanium Backup, don't EVER remove or delete anything.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/200131-droid-razr-bloat-safe-removal.html

As far as this tutorial goes I am a little confused on it because the link he posts to in the video is the same post over at XDA I used to get it on my Razr. However that post shows a completely different method that you have to have a custom recovery installed such as Clockwork.

I would say if possible undo what you have done and leave it be for now, unless of course you want to install a custom recovery. Which I would advise against until a lot more research is done and you are sure it is something you understand and will need to have.

I see you said that you deleted the stock Googlesearchbox.apk and didn't keep a backup? If that is true then you will need someone to either post the stock one back on here so you can put it back in place.

If that won't work that leads into your next question about fastboot files. Those files will return your phones system files to a completely stock state, as in no root and no custom modifications like this Google Now. So if no one can put that stock APP on here you are going to need to use those fastboot files and get yourself back to stock, otherwise when it comes time to upgrade you are going to have problems.

The Razr Utility version 1.8 or 1.81 has the fastboot files you need, though I would recommend using RSD Lite and the actual fastboot file directly and bypass that utility for this process.

I did a write up that will help you with the RSD lite process, and a few other things.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/218746-all-eggs-one-basket.html

As always I recommend reading, reading, reading, and then proceeding before mistakes are made that can't be undone. As of yet I think you are still fine, honestly the fastboot files and going back to stock might be your best bet at the moment. Google Now is a nice gimmick but not something to brick a phone over.

I really appreciate your response. I know yall probably get tired of person after person asking the same questions. I understand why you read first before posting and I did read but i guess there is SOO much info and its all over the place and different methods and whatnot that I just got lost. But again, thanks. I think what I would like to do is to return my phone to stock ( i was on .215, but i guess it will put me on .211 which is fine) and then re-root my phone again. I really wanted Google NOw and that is one of the main reasons i decided to root.

I think what I will do is just wait until and easier and more stable method for getting google now is released before attempting that again. I guess the next thing i would like to do like i said is return to stock and then re-root. So based off what you said I think I need to use just RSD Lite to get back to stock and i can get that and follow all the steps in the thread that you wrote up? Also, once I get back to stock and then Re-root, I have been looking at installing a Cynanogen rom...they look pretty appealing. What would be the step i would need to do to get that? I assume and think i would need to get Clockworkmod on my phone and then from there i could download the .zip for the cynanogen rom and flash it?

Again, I honestly appreciate all your help as i try to work myself out of this little mess and get to where i want to be.:)

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
OK

So after reading the thread on returning back to stock that you wrote....here is my conclusion. I dont know if this is right or if I am mixing things up but I am trying over here so work with me.

I went ahead and downloaded the RSD LIte V5.7 and the Fastboot Image Version 4.0.4, and i also downloaded the Moto Drivers.

Here is in order what I think has to be done...?

1) Extract Fastboot files ( Fastboot Image Version 4.0.4) onto my Computer
2) Set phone to USB Debugging & set my phone to MTP
3) Plug phone into computer via USB Cable
4) Power off phone
5) Press & hold the volume down & volume up at the same time & then press the power button.
6) Once at blank screen with white writing, use the volume down to move the cursor to AP Fastboot Mode & then volume up to select it.
7) Open up RSD LIte and it will then identify my phone
8) In RSD Lite, find the browse button, browse to the VRZ_XT912_6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31_1FF.xml file, select it & click start and sit back & watch.

I understand I may have royally screwed this up big time, but let me know what i have correct and what isnt correct.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Looks like you have the steps right.

Did you try it yet to get your phone back to stock?

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Really? I got all the steps right? Wow. Im going to do it tomorrow night when i get home from work. Hopefully it works. I will keep you posted... if it does then i think my plan is to reroot and then download tinanium backup and freeze all the bloatware.

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
waiting for phone to charge to 100 % then im going to try to get it back to stock....im sooooo nervous

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
before i do it.....you know the fastboot image version....well im confused if i put that on my sd card or do i transfer it over onto the phone when im in Ap fastboot or what

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
so i got all the way to the last step. i opened up rsd lite and clicked the .... folder and found the file and found it and chose it and it just opened up this on my browser

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<flashing> -<header> <phone_model model="SPYDER"/> <software_version version="6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31"/> -<interfaces> <interface name="AP"/> </interfaces> </header> -<steps interface="AP"> <step MD5="4c942656e653693c36450ce6b7b6342c" filename="allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm.bin" partition="mbm" operation="flash"/> <step operation="reboot-bootloader"/> <step MD5="2e1f59414c934e2aeb6bc8d36c00fdf3" filename="mbmloader.bin" partition="mbmloader" operation="flash"/> <step MD5="56bf2a9cebf3879d9376246834607a71" filename="mbm.bin" partition="mbm" operation="flash"/> <step operation="reboot-bootloader"/> <step MD5="bde8422d1be87151f0d999d116492cf5" filename="motoboot.img" partition="motoboot" operation="flash"/> <step operation="reboot-bootloader"/> <step partition="cache" operation="erase"/> <step MD5="06c07c2970460a4e656a3206859a3617" filename="logo.bin" partition="logo.bin" operation="flash"/> <step MD5="340563583905929423d53bb4f918b2b9" filename="device_tree.bin" partition="devtree" operation="flash"/> <step MD5="5ed1a76e3764fbbb32ec43a472f03681" filename="system.img" partition="system" operation="flash"/> <step MD5="1daa4606d98e1ba89c09274c41ad9bd0" filename="boot.img" partition="boot" operation="flash"/> <step MD5="42d9a7dd28ec8365adf84b6a5719ac11" filename="recovery.img" partition="recovery" operation="flash"/> <step MD5="fd1d40c2b40f0222eb8ef98aeb3aa87c" filename="cdrom" partition="cdrom" operation="flash"/> <step MD5="5fefa65357cb06fd453c2efff3639d76" filename="preinstall.img" partition="preinstall" operation="flash"/> <step MD5="83bcc0224d7d5ab5a38fc817d4328fa6" filename="radio.img" partition="radio" operation="flash"/> </steps> </flashing>

I have no clue what that means but nothing else really happened in the AP fastboot. so i just got out of it and turned my phone on. SO gay. i cant even figure this out. ARGGG

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well the Fastboot file is in a .XML format that is basically a set of instructions that calls the commands for flashing your phone. If you double click on an XML it will open in a web page like you have seen here.

When you downloaded the zip file did you extract it to it's own folder?

If you still have the zip file can you try just browsing to that and the program will ask you to uncompress it and it will do it for you.

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Well the Fastboot file is in a .XML format that is basically a set of instructions that calls the commands for flashing your phone. If you double click on an XML it will open in a web page like you have seen here.

When you downloaded the zip file did you extract it to it's own folder?

If you still have the zip file can you try just browsing to that and the program will ask you to uncompress it and it will do it for you.

YEs i did. I made a new folder on my desktop and labeled it "Extracted".

when i open up rsd lite, the top tabs are as follows , Add, Extract to, Test, View, Delete, Find, Wizard, Info, Repair...What i did was clicked the browse button...which is the folder with 3 dots and then found my folder "extracted" that i made and inside of it is the VRZ file, I clicked it and then it brought up that website with all that jargon. LOL. And thats it. Nothing else happened

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I am confused because I don't see anything like that on mine.

View attachment 55712

Can you give me a screen shot of what you are looking at? Is this for Windows?