Help with desc.txt for boot animation.

Daali

Reaction score
So, you have tried other fps other than 15 and 30? I have not yet attempted anything other than what I've seen in other animations.
Yes sir. lol I did one at 7 at one point, actually it is the Damn Small Linux boot that I am using now.

Also, I've assumed the zip decompression is too much for the phone to handle along with the image decoding, but do you have any experience with high vs low compression of PNG or JPGs?

Tough question for me as I always use png's converted via fotosizer. I just pulled one up and it is 24bit, 28px per cm.

I've tried to maintain image quality in all of mine, while using JPGs for the better compression. I've worried that the phone may struggle with higher compression though and may prefer higher quality/lower compression images. Any idea if it's worth considering?

At this point if I were you I would punt and make a real simple one at the resolution/compression you want. I am like you, I still think there is something going on with the jpeg compression that is making it black screen.
That being said, I have always sequenced my filenames from filename000.png to filename[xxx].png; that maybe something to look at, see if you have a number missing/etc.

The only time I have ever had a black screen was with the 7zip compression set to Normal instead of Store.

djakrse

Reaction score
I'm afraid people are gonna start asking how to do it. All I did was unzip previous and made new images the same size.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

Yeah, I haven't found anything very comprehensive on how to make animations, other than the explanation of the desc.txt, which I think I have covered. I figure ppl will ask as I've seen all over until the real "comprehensive, everything about boot animations" tutorial is posted. Installation is one thing, but many talented people want to make their own.

I HAVE found details on how to make sound work on the D1 and DX, which may or may not yet be complete.

It's the total package "specifications" that eludes me, though I know JPG and PNG work. I have managed to make my phone play animations endlessly without fully booting into OS after 5 minutes, so that tells me I've crossed the threshold of either total frames, frames per second, or some combination, that my phone can handle.

djakrse

Reaction score
At this point if I were you I would punt and make a real simple one at the resolution/compression you want.
I've made a few good ones now, but i think there's room for improvement.

I am like you, I still think there is something going on with the jpeg compression that is making it black screen.
That being said, I have always sequenced my filenames from filename000.png to filename[xxx].png; that maybe something to look at, see if you have a number missing/etc.

The only time I have ever had a black screen was with the 7zip compression set to Normal instead of Store.
This is where I'm trying to focus my understanding about the process. I've learned you CA name the files pretty much what you want; they play in alphanumerical order. The archival process is not what's made mine blackscreen, though I'm not exactly sure why. Fixing it is either lowering framerate via line 1, something to do with file encoding (amount of compression?), or cutting total frames down.

I have never had one freeze at a specific frame like some. I use batch processes always, so I don't have renaming issues.

I guess I just need a bit more experimentation. :)

OP
D

Dark_Forge99

Reaction score
Just tried it with the "Store" method. I previously left it as "Normal" before.

Still doesn't work. Black screen. And I'm sad to see no one else has really replied to help.

A couple things.

Missed the part where I got it to work (kinda), broski.

Here's a link to yours fully working 480 X 854.

You're welcome. :)

MegaUpload 480X854

I don't know what you did, but it finally worked, BUT not entirely.

It seems to stop at a particular frame. Right at boot_0120_108 in the second folder. It still takes a while after it freezes for the phone to boot up, unlike shown in the video in my first post.

And I figured out how to get it to generally work. I was using WinRAR to make the zip file, and I needed 7zip instead. Thanks for that.

Casen

Reaction score
Look up my posts. I have made about 8 different boot animations from youtube videos, and other sources, including sound. I have used framerates varying from 9 to 60.
My thread even has a “how to" to make your own.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
So approximately how many images can you fit in each part folders? And what's the max size the zip can be after compressed?

I'll head over to your post also Casen to see what I can find. Cause I know my question is off topic for this thread:)

Casen

Reaction score
I've had 15 mb files after they were zipped, not compressed. But the larger you get, you may get problems, like the video freezing on a certain frame

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I just made a new one I'm gonna post in a few. Its really good but I have one issue. If your willing to check it out let me know.

Thanks.

Daali

Reaction score
So approximately how many images can you fit in each part folders? And what's the max size the zip can be after compressed?

I'll head over to your post also Casen to see what I can find. Cause I know my question is off topic for this thread:)

I made one that was well over 19mbs and it ran fine, it was in 3 folders(parts)

djakrse

Reaction score
I made one that was well over 19mbs and it ran fine, it was in 3 folders(parts)
oh.em.gee. I need to shell out for that class6 SD now that they've come down in price. You guys have no idea how lucky you are to not have to worry about space if you haven't owned the d1 or similar. ;p

I just went through my second or third reevaluation of what apps i consider "necessary" due to running out of usable space from updates alone. Ugh.

I keep my animation on /system/ and that limits me to about 12 mb right now. Now that I've made a few of my own at least I use jpgs and that helps.

your friendly neighborhood jackass

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why can't I upload my new animation??? Size is 8.41 MB. I have upload 2 prior files, larger or the same size. Any suggestions guys? Sorry it's off subject. And thanks for answering the size of files questions.

Thank you!

Last edited:

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's a taste of that animation>>>[video=youtube;Nk3lspVxdSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk3lspVxdSc]YouTube - SpunDXbootani[/video]

OP
D

Dark_Forge99

Reaction score
@chkmate

How do you get your blue droid eye to animate all the way until the screen lock shows? Mine stops at a specific frame.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
@chkmate

How do you get your blue droid eye to animate all the way until the screen lock shows? Mine stops at a specific frame.

I initially broke down a previous bootanimation.zip that was a blue shatter type animation. I try to keep the same amount of images in each folder because I don't know how to edit the desc.text. I also switched the PNG's to JPEG's. When I did go over in images it allowed me to do so but had a weird switch back on the animation. It would start into the Blue Eye then go back and grab a couple frame. It would then return to the Blue Eye. I finally got it to go after taking out more images and having a 7.40MB file.

I know this doesn't help much. But if you want to grab the file and unzip to look at it go ahead.

Here>>>http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/99821-boot-animation-chkmate-beginning.html

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've read through this thread and had a hard time figuring out what was being questioned and what was figured out.
Anyone care to give me a summary if everything was figured out or not?
I am sort of an authority when it comes to boot animations as I've made well over 50 of them already. Some complex, some simple, various file sizes and for various phones.
Just want to help out with my experiences so far :)