Help with desc.txt for boot animation.

djakrse

Reaction score
Well, because I have hundreds of frames in order already made up in different folders. This way I can mess around in splicing them together to make different animations. So if I start from scratch on a new one then I make my image the size I'm gonna use through the whole thing and obviously it will save that size after every change and save I do.
Okay, makes perfect sense.

And I don't know why I'm having issues with the desc. Say I'm looking at part1 and I want to slow down the repeat rate or fps of it. I know the 0 means its infinite in the cycle. But how do I slow down the cycle?
Well, I don't know if the animation's framerate can be changed during the animation. The 3rd number on line 1 is the expected fps.

And do you mean I can open a full folder of images in Photoshop and change the size of all of them in one shot?
Yup, exactly. Read my earlier post a few back about creating an Action, where you modify one image as you expect them all. I sometimes save these actions for later. Once you create the action, you go to menu file>automate>batch and then choose your action if it isn't already selected. You have to save your edited image in your action, but don't worry too much about where it's gonna go. You can override the output directory from that saved in action and then press start.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty good explanation, thanks. Why is it so hard to add the sound in? I haven't attempted it yet but I don't notice a whole lot of them out there w/sound.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

djakrse

Reaction score
Only the D2 plays sound out of the box. The D1 has capability after some line in some configuration is uncommented. I think. The DX is capable of sound but I think it's slightly more complicated yet.

It's been a little while since I read about that. I've got some links bookmarked at work. Maybe I can find something though.

djakrse

Reaction score
How about just posting an animated gif of it?

How do I do that? Do i have to convert it? I just recorded it with my brothers digital.

Yeah, sorry my way is a little time consuming, loading each frame into photoshop/imageready and adding frames a layer each, in which you hide the top layers as the frames go on.

I think there are programs that do that faster, but I don't know which ones off hand, image sequence to animated gif - Google Search.

Hey chkmate.... Duh, I knew there was a faster way. I haven't played with animated gifs in maybe 6-7 years. I'm using PhotoShop/ImageReady CS2:
From within ImageReady, File > Import > Folder as Frames...

It loads a sequence of images from within a folder and loads the entire thing as an animation. Just change your optimization if you want and save.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier Photoshop can rename your files during the batch.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
How do I do that? Do i have to convert it? I just recorded it with my brothers digital.

Yeah, sorry my way is a little time consuming, loading each frame into photoshop/imageready and adding frames a layer each, in which you hide the top layers as the frames go on.

I think there are programs that do that faster, but I don't know which ones off hand, image sequence to animated gif - Google Search.

Hey chkmate.... Duh, I knew there was a faster way. I haven't played with animated gifs in maybe 6-7 years. I'm using PhotoShop/ImageReady CS2:

It loads a sequence of images from within a folder and loads the entire thing as an animation. Just change your optimization if you want and save.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier Photoshop can rename your files during the batch.

LOL! That's funny. That's the same version PS I use. You know I've never used the animation option on it? I just save image, edit, save image and edit. Then I open the outside folder and scroll using the arrow and it animates by moving fast. I'll give that a try:)

djakrse

Reaction score
Only the D2 plays sound out of the box. The D1 has capability after some line in some configuration is uncommented. I think. The DX is capable of sound but I think it's slightly more complicated yet.

It's been a little while since I read about that. I've got some links bookmarked at work. Maybe I can find something though.
Here's the links I had at work regarding boot animations with sound:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/59199-boot-up-sound-droid-x-info-build-prop.html
CM6 - Startup and Shutdown Sound - CyanogenMod Forum
[Flashable Zip] Bootanimations Audio - CyanogenMod Forum

djakrse

Reaction score
Holy crap! WTH, I just added sound to my Marvel boot animation and the damn thing not only plays but it plays in f'n sync with the sound!

I made a quick 13.5s clip of the audio for testing purposes and it was clipped off right at the 10.5s mark... I was like what the...? I tried it on the 24fps and it seems to be exactly the right length. The animation was perfect on my D1.

While it seems the 12 fps animation played exactly as configured in the desc.txt, I'm wondering if the 24 fps animation is still running a hair slow being as the animation and audio clip ended ended in sync at the lockscreen.

Talk about confused! Why in the world was my damn phone playing animations at anywhere between 4-7 fps before I added audio?!?

Edit: I just did it again, timing everything and from the beginning to end of the animation was exactly the length of the audio, so it seemed to stretch the animation to match the audio on my 24fps animation. I actually had about 3-4 seconds of blank screen/silence before the lockscreen this time. OMG it looks/sounds awesome.

Last edited:

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Holy crap! WTH, I just added sound to my Marvel boot animation and the damn thing not only plays but it plays in f'n sync with the sound!

I made a quick 13.5s clip of the audio for testing purposes and it was clipped off right at the 10.5s mark... I was like what the...? I tried it on the 24fps and it seems to be exactly the right length. The animation was perfect on my D1.

While it seems the 12 fps animation played exactly as configured in the desc.txt, I'm wondering if the 24 fps animation is still running a hair slow being as the animation and audio clip ended ended in sync at the lockscreen.

Talk about confused! Why in the world was my damn phone playing animations at anywhere between 4-7 fps before I added audio?!?

Edit: I just did it again, timing everything and from the beginning to end of the animation was exactly the length of the audio, so it seemed to stretch the animation to match the audio on my 24fps animation. I actually had about 3-4 seconds of blank screen/silence before the lockscreen this time. OMG it looks/sounds awesome.

Nice! And I have no clue. Does that only work on the D1 as far as you know?

Oh! And where do you install your animations? I always install through system/media.

djakrse

Reaction score
Funny you should ask. Follow the link in my sig and let me know. :)

It should work on dx too. You'll have to replace your /system/bin/bootanimation file as instructed, but I'd like to know if it clips the audio on yours.

Thanks!

djakrse

Reaction score

Damn, don't know what version of PS you using, but this is not good news - Adobe Forums: Image Sequence to Animated GIF?. This feature was available up until CS2, what I have at home and work. Later versions it may have been removed or left to the extended version. I cannot stand these suites where it's all or nothing. This software is far too expensive to even own if you aren't professional. They figure the pros will have to buy the whole suite to be able to accomplish any project. Of course, I guess that's why GIMP and Open Office exist!

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

Damn, don't know what version of PS you using, but this is not good news - Adobe Forums: Image Sequence to Animated GIF?. This feature was available up until CS2, what I have at home and work. Later versions it may have been removed or left to the extended version. I cannot stand these suites where it's all or nothing. This software is far too expensive to even own if you aren't professional. They figure the pros will have to buy the whole suite to be able to accomplish any project. Of course, I guess that's why GIMP and Open Office exist!

My Image Ready Version is 9.0. I got this off a buddy that uses one of those sites to get programs. LOL, you know the ones. Still not sure how to use it yet since today was the first time I opened Image Viewer.