Help with desc.txt for boot animation.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've read through this thread and had a hard time figuring out what was being questioned and what was figured out.
Anyone care to give me a summary if everything was figured out or not?
I am sort of an authority when it comes to boot animations as I've made well over 50 of them already. Some complex, some simple, various file sizes and for various phones.
Just want to help out with my experiences so far :)

I've switched the questions up a couple times since I just started making them. And I couldn't tell you for the life of me what was started on this thread, sorry.

But I will most likely have more questions for you. I just posted a new one I put together on the thread I started. Check it out if you get a chance.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

djakrse

Reaction score
What's the longest animation any of you has made? I made a new one today from 10.5 s of video, 252 frames at 24 fps. I don't know how long bootup took, but I could easily count the frame changes as it went. The animation seemed to stop about 3 seconds early at lockscreen.

Next, I tried 126 frames at 12 fps. The results were about the same, it finished about 2-3 seconds too soon. I thought it might have been playing a little faster, but I just timed it at 28 seconds before lockscreen. That should be 4.5 fps. WTH? Anyone see this kind of horrible performance?

I was really hoping to get this animation playing well. I'm tempted to set up some numbered frames to see if I can't get this better optimized already.

edit: Okay, I am aware I have a D1, but my previous animation was 15 fps and smooth as butter; lockscreen in maybe 7 seconds. I'm starting to think the limit of acceptable frames for my phone is somewhere around 100 frames. Hmm, might try breaking it up into 2 parts to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

djakrse

Reaction score
Okay, just tested it by breaking it up in half, 63 frames in part0, 63 frames in part1. This time it played the entire animation in 30 s exactly... though still a dismal 4.2 fps. This cannot be. I'm gonna try more parts, what can it hurt?

BTW, the boot logo lasted 20 seconds. I think I timed more earlier. Is this a bit long?

edit: Hmm, it played identically with all frames in part0 with 15 fps in desc.txt.

edit2: Ok, 120 frames broken up into 4 parts evenly at 15 fps still took 26 sec; 4.6 fps. That must be close to this phone's limit? I had no idea. Going to go back to some of my earlier animations I dloaded and see what they run at.

Last edited:

djakrse

Reaction score
Well, just tried my previous one. 13-4 sec for 83 frames. Was just thinking it ran faster I guess. It does look smooth, but that's still only 6-6.5 fps. bleh. What's the friggin point of setting it to run at 15?

I'm curious if any of these play at configured speed on DX. Anybody test their own to see if they keep up with the desc.txt?

Also, I'm pretty sure I remember someone with a D1 changing some configuration somewhere and allowing their phone to run fully O/C'd during bootup, effectively speeding up their boot time (and presumedly their boot animation) -- anyone know about this?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
What do you use to change fps? Is it just editing desc.txt? I just started doing this. I have a couple pretty decent animations out, but all I've done is kept the setup from a prior BA. Just replacing the images and keeping it around the same amount in part0 and part1.

djakrse

Reaction score
What do you use to change fps? Is it just editing desc.txt? I just started doing this. I have a couple pretty decent animations out, but all I've done is kept the setup from a prior BA. Just replacing the images and keeping it around the same amount in part0 and part1.

Yes, the first line in the desc.txt sets up the dimensions of images included and fps. The D2R2D2 boot animation's desc.txt was fully commented, detailing the meaning of the parameters. Daali quoted it on pg5, but I usually link to this thread, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/79531-trouble-understanding-coding-bootanimation-zip.html for details.

# 480 wide, 854 high, 15 frames a second
480 854 15

# p means we're defining a part
# first number is repeat count, 0 means infinite
# second number is delay in frames before performing the next part
# so if you are playing 15 frames a second 15 would be... one second
# string defines the directory to load files from
# files will be loaded in order but names don't matter

# s defines a sound for a part
# sounds will be loaded from /data/local
# oggs with loop points will loop automatically
# only one sound will play at a time
# timing is driven by the part, not the sounds
# if you want no sound, declare 'none'

# stars for 30 frames
p 1 30 part0
s none

# R2D2 rises
p 1 0 part1
s none

# Looping R2D2
p 0 0 part2
s d2_r2d2_pu.ogg

# must have newline after each part

djakrse

Reaction score
update:

I reduced the image size to the original frame dimensions, 480x288. I started with 24 fps and 252 frames. My phone played the animation in full, 26 seconds to lockscreen. The difference was the screen refresh seemed much sharper. Where before I was thinking maybe some frames were being skipped (there's no way when I could literally count 3-5 fps, that my 252 frame animation was finishing in 30s), now I am getting smoother, cleaner looking frame changes, though not much faster in average framerate.

Before I was scaling down to 480, then adding canvas to the full 854 in height. I read in at least one tutorial that D1 animations had to be 480x854. Hmm, I knew it wasn't absolutely necessary since I heard some of the animations were other dimensions. They probably meant, given the droid's screen res that your animations had to conform to those dimensions. I thought other animations were smaller to fit other phones like the G1. *shrug*

Oh well, off to try 12 fps and half the total frames.

Btw, anyone want to test this on their DX? If so, could you literally time it from the moment your boot logo changes to boot animation until you see your lock screen? From what I hear, it sounds like it should play quite a bit faster. The animation is 252 frames at 24 fps; should be 10.5 s optimally.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tried it out:)

From the time my boot logo went away and my lock screen came up, was only about 15-16 seconds.

I love Marvel if you couldn't tell by my sig. I made a Spider Man smoke logo bootani. Would you mind if I added it to this?

djakrse

Reaction score
Tried it out:)

From the time my boot logo went away and my lock screen came up, was only about 15-16 seconds.

I love Marvel if you couldn't tell by my sig. I made a Spider Man smoke logo bootani. Would you mind if I added it to this?

Not at all. I'm planning on posting this in my thread later today after I get one playing a little faster on my phone. I'm happy to share though. Also, I can pass over the original frames if you want to resize them and save with your own apps for consistency.

P.S. I did see your sig and figured you might like that one ;)

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can you mix image sizes? Cause I use 480x845, not 854. And I can't figure out how to change image sizes in batch. I have a program, with the option, but when I do it it does nothing. It changes batch from png to jpeg with no issue. I'll write more on this when I get to my comp.

djakrse

Reaction score
Can you mix image sizes? Cause I use 480x845, not 854.
Well, I kind of assume no, but then until just a few hours ago I didn't "know" that you could have animations not at least the same ratio of resolution as your display. I would have to wonder why the desc.txt doesn't follow the first line if you can mix and match. I say it's worth a shot even, but I'll send you the frames if you need to reformat them.

And I can't figure out how to change image sizes in batch. I have a program, with the option, but when I do it it does nothing. It changes batch from png to jpeg with no issue. I'll write more on this when I get to my comp.
Do you use Photoshop? I use the batch mode (file>automate>batch) in Photoshop to resize multiple images and save as BMP. From there I re-encode to JPG with another app. Batch requires you use Actions in Photoshop though. Open one of your files, then create a new action. It will automatically start recording. Each action that would be saved in your history will be saved by the recorded action. Once you have an action with your file resize/re-canvas (and saved as target file type) you can then start a batch. It should preselect your new action and you can check the option to override where the files will be saved if you wish.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can you mix image sizes? Cause I use 480x845, not 854.
Well, I kind of assume no, but then until just a few hours ago I didn't "know" that you could have animations not at least the same ratio of resolution as your display. I would have to wonder why the desc.txt doesn't follow the first line if you can mix and match. I say it's worth a shot even, but I'll send you the frames if you need to reformat them.

And I can't figure out how to change image sizes in batch. I have a program, with the option, but when I do it it does nothing. It changes batch from png to jpeg with no issue. I'll write more on this when I get to my comp.
Do you use Photoshop? I use the batch mode (file>automate>batch) in Photoshop to resize multiple images and save as BMP. From there I re-encode to JPG with another app. Batch requires you use Actions in Photoshop though. Open one of your files, then create a new action. It will automatically start recording. Each action that would be saved in your history will be saved by the recorded action. Once you have an action with your file resize/re-canvas (and saved as target file type) you can then start a batch. It should preselect your new action and you can check the option to override where the files will be saved if you wish.

I use Photoshop to make, edit and animate my images. I use FastStone Image Viewer to change batch PNG to JPEG. And it has a option to change batch size, but of course I can't get it to work. I also can't figure out how to batch change the numbering of images.

Unfortunately I have tons of ideas and the skills to do whatever with the images. Just need to figure how to set the fps and stuff. The instructions still don't make much since to me as far as the desc.txt goes.

djakrse

Reaction score
I use Photoshop to make, edit and animate my images. I use FastStone Image Viewer to change batch PNG to JPEG. And it has a option to change batch size, but of course I can't get it to work. I also can't figure out how to batch change the numbering of images.

Unfortunately I have tons of ideas and the skills to do whatever with the images. Just need to figure how to set the fps and stuff. The instructions still don't make much since to me as far as the desc.txt goes.

If you use Photoshop to animate, then can't you just resize before outputting frames? I ask but then what format do you output your animation from Photoshop?

So far, I batch resize everything in Photoshop. I batch convert and rename in IrfanView.

What part of the desc.txt do you need better explanation about?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

If you use Photoshop to animate, then can't you just resize before outputting frames? I ask but then what format do you output your animation from Photoshop?

So far, I batch resize everything in Photoshop. I batch convert and rename in IrfanView.

What part of the desc.txt do you need better explanation about?

Well, because I have hundreds of frames in order already made up in different folders. This way I can mess around in splicing them together to make different animations. So if I start from scratch on a new one then I make my image the size I'm gonna use through the whole thing and obviously it will save that size after every change and save I do.

And I don't know why I'm having issues with the desc. Say I'm looking at part1 and I want to slow down the repeat rate or fps of it. I know the 0 means its infinite in the cycle. But how do I slow down the cycle?

And do you mean I can open a full folder of images in Photoshop and change the size of all of them in one shot?

djakrse

Reaction score

If you look at the D2R2D2 animation's desc.txt, the 3 numbers on the top line, 480 854 15, indicate the width and height dimensions of your frames (I can only assume you should stay consistent but I know it doesn't have to match your phone's display resolution), and the fps your WISH your phone to play it at. LOL I have concluded it will RESTRICT your phone to that framerate, but at least for my D1, I can literally count the frames at about 4-6+ fps. It looks smooth, but even one of my shorter animations was within this range.

In the next group of lines,
Code:
# stars for 30 frames 
p 1 30 part0
s none
the comment indicates the only image in part0, a starfield, is static for 2 seconds. The 1 says, "play it once," and the "30 frames" says it will be played for 30 frames at 15 fps (specified in line 1), therefore 2 seconds. Really, the 30 means there will be a 30 frame delay at the end of part0 before part1 begins. This translates into a 2 second pause on frame 1 before frame 2 begins the animation in part1. There is a sound with the animation, but it doesn't start yet, therefore, "s none".

The next section is where the words start moving and R2's animation takes place.
Code:
# R2D2 rises
p 1 0 part1
s none
Similar to the previous part, but there is no delay between part1 and part2. Still no sound.
Code:
# Looping R2D2
p 0 0 part2
s d2_r2d2_pu.ogg
Now we have a looping animation... I think it plays at least once and continues if the phone needs more time to boot up. '0' on the first line indicates the loop, 1 or anything (x) higher should play x number of times. Finally in part2, the sound plays along with the animation. Questions?