Help with desc.txt for boot animation.

ArmyDude

Reaction score
I use Fotosizer to resize, rename, and change extension of files. It's easy and works great. You can even change the orientation of the images. Play with it...

OP
D

Dark_Forge99

Reaction score
Here's a link to yours fully working 480 X 854.

You're welcome. :)

MegaUpload 480X854

I don't know what you did, but it finally worked, BUT not entirely.

It seems to stop at a particular frame. Right at boot_0120_108 in the second folder. It still takes a while after it freezes for the phone to boot up, unlike shown in the video in my first post.

And I figured out how to get it to generally work. I was using WinRAR to make the zip file, and I needed 7zip instead. Thanks for that.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to follow here. This is what I did, haven't ran it cause I'm scared.

-Took a boot animation that already existed, unzipped and opened to see how many frames were in each.

-Made my own animations with the exact same frames in part0 and part1.

-Zipped it in winRAR (don't know if this is a no-no but it came out roughly the same size as other bootani's).

Do I need to do it in 7zip? And do I even need to edit desc.txt?

Any suggestion's, thank you!?!

If anyone would be willing to look at it let me know:)

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Use 7zip. I don't believe that the amount of pictures makes the frame rate... the original movie would be the frame rate. If the images do not have smooth transitions... it will show in the frame rate. Its a matter of just playing with it. If you mess up the bootanimation... don't worry about it... the phone will still boot.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Use 7zip. I don't believe that the amount of pictures makes the frame rate... the original movie would be the frame rate. If the images do not have smooth transitions... it will show in the frame rate. Its a matter of just playing with it. If you mess up the bootanimation... don't worry about it... the phone will still boot.

Thanks man! I will try not to be as annoying as the boot logo's. But I think I will have something to offer as far as these go:)

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the love of god! If anyone looks at this is there anyway to upload videos on You Tube in under an hour? I made a boot ani that I want to share and I've been waiting a half hour and it's only at 30% on You Tube.

Any suggestions? Thanks all I know this is off subject:)

And if not it will be coming soon anyway. FYI it's MP4 format.

djakrse

Reaction score
How about just posting an animated gif of it?

edit: sorry, maybe even more time consuming? There's other sites too... 4shared etc

djakrse

Reaction score

How do I do that? Do i have to convert it? I just recorded it with my brothers digital.

Yeah, sorry my way is a little time consuming, loading each frame into photoshop/imageready and adding frames a layer each, in which you hide the top layers as the frames go on.

I think there are programs that do that faster, but I don't know which ones off hand, image sequence to animated gif - Google Search.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

How do I do that? Do i have to convert it? I just recorded it with my brothers digital.

Yeah, sorry my way is a little time consuming, loading each frame into photoshop/imageready and adding frames a layer each, in which you hide the top layers as the frames go on.

I think there are programs that do that faster, but I don't know which ones off hand, image sequence to animated gif - Google Search.

Thank you! Think I will let it run on You Tube, it's over 50% now, lol. But yea in the future I will find something with your method. This is just ridiculous.

djakrse

Reaction score
It looks like SUPER, which I've been using to convert video to a sequence of PNGs will also output a video to animated gif, as in to make an avatar. I think you can even specify the fps, which is difficult I think with ImageReady. IR wants to have a delay per frame set and that gets into decimals if you are trying to make it play at a set speed. I usually set delay to 0 and it plays close enough to the actual animation.

I'm trying now to see if it can take my alphanumerically ordered image sequence and output it to an animated gif.

Daali

Reaction score
Just tried it with the "Store" method. I previously left it as "Normal" before.

Still doesn't work. Black screen. And I'm sad to see no one else has really replied to help.

A couple things.

• the zip files have to be in STORE mode within 7zip.
  • newline in this context only means a carriage return, not a whole, empty line
Here is the R2D2 desc.txt which give us the most insight on the code:
# 480 wide, 854 high, 15 frames a second
480 854 15

# p means we're defining a part
# first number is repeat count, 0 means infinite
# second number is delay in frames before performing the next part
# so if you are playing 15 frames a second 15 would be... one second
# string defines the directory to load files from
# files will be loaded in order but names don't matter

# s defines a sound for a part
# sounds will be loaded from /data/local
# oggs with loop points will loop automatically
# only one sound will play at a time
# timing is driven by the part, not the sounds
# if you want no sound, declare 'none'

# stars for 30 frames
p 1 30 part0
s none

# R2D2 rises
p 1 0 part1
s none

# Looping R2D2
p 0 0 part2
s d2_r2d2_pu.ogg

# must have newline after each part
Your download above has this:
320 480 30
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1

This looks fine, albiet I've never gone over 23 fps. part0 is going to play through 1x, then part1 is going to loop until boot complete.

If you are zipping the files correctly(STORE), I would imagine it is the compression of the image files causing the issue.

Daali

Reaction score
I use virtualDub to image sequence export from avi, batchfilename(if needed) to rename, and fotosizer to convert to png and resize

djakrse

Reaction score
  • newline in this context only means a carriage return, not a whole, empty line
I came to that conclusion before but was reaching for ideas at the time I posted that

This looks fine, albiet I've never gone over 23 fps. part0 is going to play through 1x, then part1 is going to loop until boot complete.

If you are zipping the files correctly(STORE), I would imagine it is the compression of the image files causing the issue.

So, you have tried other fps other than 15 and 30? I have not yet attempted anything other than what I've seen in other animations. Also, I've assumed the zip decompression is too much for the phone to handle along with the image decoding, but do you have any experience with high vs low compression of PNG or JPGs?

I've tried to maintain image quality in all of mine, while using JPGs for the better compression. I've worried that the phone may struggle with higher compression though and may prefer higher quality/lower compression images. Any idea if it's worth considering?

Last edited:

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
It looks like SUPER, which I've been using to convert video to a sequence of PNGs will also output a video to animated gif, as in to make an avatar. I think you can even specify the fps, which is difficult I think with ImageReady. IR wants to have a delay per frame set and that gets into decimals if you are trying to make it play at a set speed. I usually set delay to 0 and it plays close enough to the actual animation.

I'm trying now to see if it can take my alphanumerically ordered image sequence and output it to an animated gif.

Thank you if that was meant for me. And some thank went to you in there. I'm afraid people are gonna start asking how to do it. All I did was unzip previous and made new images the same size.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk