Help Friends And Family Understand Why Android is Better than iOS with This Video

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;NMiY1kSTHZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NMiY1kSTHZw[/video]​

Do you have friends or family members that are operating under the misconception that Android is harder to use than iOS? Are you tired of hearing them say, "My iPhone just works"?

Now you can shatter the myth that the iOS UI is easier to use, and help them make an informed decision. The above video is the first part in a series, and was put together by an astute Android fan. It clearly establishes that Ice Cream Sandwich does almost everything with less steps and less hassle than iOS does, and in fact, it "just works" better than iOS in almost all instances.

And, to be clear, the creator of this video is not an Android fanatic, nor does he hate Apple. In fact, he owns and still uses several different Apple products, including the new iPad.

We wanted to share this, not because we just wanted to bash on iOS, but to help dispel the false perception that iOS is objectively superior to Android. Only by sharing several viewpoints can we make educated choices with our eyes open. The next time you have a friend or family member that is slavishly devoted to iOS, point them to this article so they can at least see more of the whole picture.

Kudos to this videographer for creating this valuable teaching tool!

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
ironically i watched this on my android tablet but when i tried to go to the actual youtube page from the emedded video i ran into several issues. tapping and holding didnt offer any options like a right click of a mouse would. clicking share provided me the link but tapping and hilding the link didnt give me the option to copy it. it also seems that the droidforums website doesnt play well with the ics default browser. while i love this video because it offer a fair comparision and not a biased unfounded opinion and i prefer android to ios as well i just found it teribly ironic that after watching that video i couldnt go directly to the video page on youtube. android is great but still has room for improvment.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I found several of the talking points to be very exaggerated. A few were spot on though. Also, if you have an address open like the one for In-N-out in the video, he just has to touch the little google map above the address and it'll open in google maps. Copying the text isn't necessary.

Talking about the back button is kind of bad too since it is new in Android 4 (I know it was also in Honeycomb, but since that was tablet only and not on phones, I'm ignoring it). So few phones have it on screen like that. However, most phones (if not all) have physical buttons or capacitive touch buttons. i think the back button works much better in Android4 though too.

I didn't like how he was saying he could get the full custom feel of Android without root but his phone (black/white icons and what not) was rooted. Superuser got permissions on a few things at boot and even showed the superuser app. The examples however were on stock.

I consider them to be valid points as a whole though.

Whats the widget he is using for the clock widget that displays as text ( threeFORTYtwo )

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I found several of the talking points to be very exaggerated. A few were spot on though. Also, if you have an address open like the one for In-N-out in the video, he just has to touch the little google map above the address and it'll open in google maps. Copying the text isn't necessary.

Talking about the back button is kind of bad too since it is new in Android 4 (I know it was also in Honeycomb, but since that was tablet only and not on phones, I'm ignoring it). So few phones have it on screen like that. However, most phones (if not all) have physical buttons or capacitive touch buttons. i think the back button works much better in Android4 though too.

I didn't like how he was saying he could get the full custom feel of Android without root but his phone (black/white icons and what not) was rooted. Superuser got permissions on a few things at boot and even showed the superuser app. The examples however were on stock.

I consider them to be valid points as a whole though.

Whats the widget he is using for the clock widget that displays as text ( threeFORTYtwo )

yes its VERY obvious he rooted it right at the beginning of the video...that is most certainly NOT the stock bootanimation lol

one point he missed though was he was talking about how the back button was sometimes hard to find in ios since it can be different places, yet he neglected to mention the same is somewhat true in ICS android with the menu button, sometimes its on the bottom nav bar, sometimes the top right (could it be elsewhere too?)

ExodusC

Reaction score
one point he missed though was he was talking about how the back button was sometimes hard to find in ios since it can be different places, yet he neglected to mention the same is somewhat true in ICS android with the menu button, sometimes its on the bottom nav bar, sometimes the top right (could it be elsewhere too?)
That is very true- though it obviously wasn't like that until ICS, as we always had hardware menu buttons (am I the only one that MUCH preferred this). Now we have the same inconsistency he complains about.

Anyways, he makes a couple valid points, but doesn't give iOS quite enough credit in my opinion.

Maybe I prefer Android for different reasons than he does.

djspy

Reaction score
That is very true- though it obviously wasn't like that until ICS, as we always had hardware menu buttons (am I the only one that MUCH preferred this). Now we have the same inconsistency he complains about.

Anyways, he makes a couple valid points, but doesn't give iOS quite enough credit in my opinion.

I also preffer actual buttons. I think one of the biggest WTF? moves on ICS was the exclusion of the search button. It makes no sense to me.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

I'm going to miss the hardware buttons on my DX when I upgrade. There is no accidently pressing them by just barely brushing my finger on them. I do it all the time on my wife's TBolt. Kind of annoying. I put the ICS screen buttons on my DX to get me ready so I don't end up throwing a brand new phone against the wall when I hit the home button over and over when I don't mean to.

tekjunkie28

Reaction score
LOL at this video.. I have sold my nexus and bought an iPhone4s. Let my say that im not going hate on android here but its so very true that iPhone just works. Almost everyone I know that had an android phone switched to iOS and 2 even went back to dumb phones bc of the problems they had with them. and it doesnt help that Larry Page said Android is not esscential to the future of google finacially is just dumb.

AZClimber

Reaction score
ICS - WTF! Verizon has only one phone with ICS, all the latest greatest phones they have still run Gingerbread and we are now going on 5 months (feels like 12) now since the Nexus came out with it.

pyro6128

Reaction score
LOL at this video.. I have sold my nexus and bought an iPhone4s. Let my say that im not going hate on android here but its so very true that iPhone just works. Almost everyone I know that had an android phone switched to iOS and 2 even went back to dumb phones bc of the problems they had with them. and it doesnt help that Larry Page said Android is not esscential to the future of google finacially is just dumb.

I think everyone has examples of friends that have switched one way or the other. A lot of mine jumped ship from ios when they were let down by the 4s and saw my galaxy nexus. 4 of them got the gnex, others razr & rezound (I'm not a fan of those). To each his own though. One thing I find weird though is that a lot of people buy budget android phones, then complain about performance, then go and spend a couple of hundred dollars on an iphone and say how much better ios is. Well if they spent that money on a good android phone to begin with they would have a much different experience. You get what you pay for. Kind of seems silly when i see people comparing an iphone 4s to an lg ally or something silly like that.

skennelly

Reaction score
^ very true. You do get what you pay for. I'm surprised that no one has ever mentioned that before. It would be a whole different story if android only made one phone and one tablet.

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Great Video

I did the same comparison myself a few months back when my gf offered me her Iphone 4 to try out. I found exactly the same things compared to my D3. Although my phone is rooted, a non rooted D3 would've accomplished the same ends. Good vid, I reposted this on my fb wall to ge the word out to the uninformed. dancedroid

Kenny Bats

Reaction score

I'm going to call BS on that. Switched back to "dumb phones"? Was iOS too difficult for them too? And I wouldn't call myself techjunkie without being able to operate an Android device. They are made for tech junkies. Especially the eariler devices. I am a hardware and software technician on a team of about 30 which support multiple major hospitals. All the techs use Android and management uses iOS. Some people just can't figure it out and that's fine. iPhones were made for those people. I know of 2 people that bought a Nexus and returned to get the 4S because they thought iOS just worked. Both regret making the switch. They miss the freedom of the Android OS.

FYI...Larry Page is trying to downplay Android's importance to gain an advantage in a legal battle.

tekjunkie28

Reaction score
I think everyone has examples of friends that have switched one way or the other. A lot of mine jumped ship from ios when they were let down by the 4s and saw my galaxy nexus. 4 of them got the gnex, others razr & rezound (I'm not a fan of those). To each his own though. One thing I find weird though is that a lot of people buy budget android phones, then complain about performance, then go and spend a couple of hundred dollars on an iphone and say how much better ios is. Well if they spent that money on a good android phone to begin with they would have a much different experience. You get what you pay for. Kind of seems silly when i see people comparing an iphone 4s to an lg ally or something silly like that.

I have bought nothing but top of the line android phones and none of them are worth a dime. Don't get me wrong, they have awesome hardware but android performance is severely lacking as u can see with custom roms. I've have seen how good they can be with the galaxy S 2 but still most apps are trash on the market.