New Study Shows that iOS Crashes More Often Than Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ios-android-crashes-1.png

A new study from mobile app monitoring company, Crittercism, shares some startling statistics. Apparently, Apple's iOS crashes more often than Google's Android OS, and not just a little bit more, but "substantially more." According to their study, which tracked 23 different versions of iOS and 33 different versions of Android, the largest percentage of crashes occured on iOS 5.1. Here's a quote from the PhoneArena article with some stats:

For the top quartile of apps, Android apps crashed 0.15% of the time they launched, while iOS apps crashed 0.51% of the time. In the second quartile of apps, Android apps crashed 0.73% of the time versus the 1.47% of the time iOS apps crashed. For the third quartile of apps, Android apps crashed 2.97% of the time, while iOS apps crashed 3.66% of the time.

ios-android-crashes-2.png

The article elaborates by sharing that "The best apps on Android crashed one third as much as the best iOS apps. The second best Android apps crashed half as much as the iOS as in the second quartile while the difference was less for the third quartile." This story is the opposite of what we saw when Apple and Microsoft used to battle for supremacy. Now it seems that Apple's chief competitor is actually a more stable product. The next time your Apple fanboy friends try to tell you that they like the iOS because it "just works", you can cite this study... ;)

Source: PhoneArena and Crittercism

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The only app that crashes on my phone is NHL Gamecenter. It will almost always crash when I open it. re-opening it and it opens fine. I'm even on EncounterICS which is still in beta.

gthotie5

Reaction score
wow? I think it's pretty important to know which OS is more consistent.
Especially since IOS is known for that.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I've never owned an iPhone so I have a question to ask...

On android when an app crashes you are given the OPTION to report the problem, much like windows. I never press the button to report a crash. Does iOS have this feature, or does it report back to Apple automatically?

braveone772

Reaction score

On android when an app crashes you are given the OPTION to report the problem, much like windows. I never press the button to report a crash. Does iOS have this feature, or does it report back to Apple automatically?

As a Verizon Premium Retailer, I have to help people set up their devices when they come in. There is an option as you first activate the phone to send data back to apple, or to not. Basically, instead of it being on a case by case basis, you either opt to always report issues and etc. to Apple, or not at all.

goosedeath

Reaction score
Is this study talking about apps or the OS? And another question, apple/Android released apps or third party developer apps?
Interesting article, but seems vague.

Sent from my Liquefied Galactic Unicorn.

jerkwad

Reaction score
Is this what it's come to? Statistical reports on what phone OS crashes more? Wow...

lol that's like Ford saying to GM, "is this what is comes down to now? statistical reports on which cars are safer? wow..."

don't complain that someone did a study to determine which is a more stable OS, especially when Apple users ALWAYS tout stability, reliability, ease of use, simplicity, etc in ALL of their products (to include the iPhone). No one here said "apple sucks", they are simply saying that it may suffer from more app crashes...

what IS most important to note, however, is whether this is an issue with developers or the operating system. this is no different than xbox vs ps3. some games work better on specific platforms because the developers initially targeted a specific platform and then may have "half-assed" it for the other in the name of the mighty dollar.

cliff notes: relax

both OSes are pretty awesome these days i could handle a 0.07% chance of an app crashing on my iphone just as much as on an android platform. those numbers are SO small when you think about how often you open an app on your phone versus how often you do everything else during the waking day.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com

Not sure if it reports automatically but i never noticed the option to do it manually on my Wife's iPhone. Granted i haven't used it since i got my OG back in 09..

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this study talking about apps or the OS? And another question, apple/Android released apps or third party developer apps?
Interesting article, but seems vague.

Sent from my Liquefied Galactic Unicorn.

To answer your first question. I believe the study was referring to crashes of the OS itself, even when it was an app that caused the crash. As for your second question... It referenced all apps. The source link for the article had quite a bit of info that might clear it up for you, but was far too in-depth to include everything, so I summarized the main conclusion.

Happystranger

Reaction score
I've had the Iphone 4 and now the Iphone 4s, and I to this day have never experienced OS crashes. I'm personally over the whole Android is better than IOS and vice versa. I joined this these forums back when I got the OG Droid on launch day, but over time I noticed an increase in bashing on the Iphone.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah people used to be pretty civil in regards to Apple threads in this forum but now it's always just an all out bash thread. Kind of sad, you still get the few who like to give a nice civil debate though. They just get overshadowed by the others most of the time.

jerkwad

Reaction score
yeah people used to be pretty civil in regards to Apple threads in this forum but now it's always just an all out bash thread. Kind of sad, you still get the few who like to give a nice civil debate though. They just get overshadowed by the others most of the time.

yep, gotta take a lot of this stuff with a grain of salt. i'm sure this happens on both sides though. everyone is passionate about what they own or aspire to own...it's "normal".

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
yep, gotta take a lot of this stuff with a grain of salt. i'm sure this happens on both sides though. everyone is passionate about what they own or aspire to own...it's "normal".

while I know this is an Android forum, the stuff some people say to back up their dislike of Apple is far from normal.

jerkwad

Reaction score
while I know this is an Android forum, the stuff some people say to back up their dislike of Apple is far from normal.

i meant the "passion" was normal - not the ass-hatery that can ensue on both sides of the fence (can i say ass-hatery?!) lol