1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

New Study Shows that iOS Crashes More Often Than Android

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 3, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

A new study from mobile app monitoring company, Crittercism, shares some startling statistics. Apparently, Apple's iOS crashes more often than Google's Android OS, and not just a little bit more, but "substantially more." According to their study, which tracked 23 different versions of iOS and 33 different versions of Android, the largest percentage of crashes occured on iOS 5.1. Here's a quote from the PhoneArena article with some stats:

[​IMG]

The article elaborates by sharing that "The best apps on Android crashed one third as much as the best iOS apps. The second best Android apps crashed half as much as the iOS as in the second quartile while the difference was less for the third quartile." This story is the opposite of what we saw when Apple and Microsoft used to battle for supremacy. Now it seems that Apple's chief competitor is actually a more stable product. The next time your Apple fanboy friends try to tell you that they like the iOS because it "just works", you can cite this study... ;)

Source: PhoneArena and Crittercism
    1 person likes this.
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

The only app that crashes on my phone is NHL Gamecenter. It will almost always crash when I open it. re-opening it and it opens fine. I'm even on EncounterICS which is still in beta.
  3. Happystranger

Happystranger New Member

Is this what it's come to? Statistical reports on what phone OS crashes more? Wow...
  4. gthotie5

gthotie5 New Member

wow? I think it's pretty important to know which OS is more consistent.
    Especially since IOS is known for that.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums
    1 person likes this.
  5. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

I've never owned an iPhone so I have a question to ask...

On android when an app crashes you are given the OPTION to report the problem, much like windows. I never press the button to report a crash. Does iOS have this feature, or does it report back to Apple automatically?
  6. braveone772

braveone772 New Member

As a Verizon Premium Retailer, I have to help people set up their devices when they come in. There is an option as you first activate the phone to send data back to apple, or to not. Basically, instead of it being on a case by case basis, you either opt to always report issues and etc. to Apple, or not at all.
  7. goosedeath

goosedeath New Member

Is this study talking about apps or the OS? And another question, apple/Android released apps or third party developer apps?
    Interesting article, but seems vague.

Sent from my Liquefied Galactic Unicorn.
    1 person likes this.
  8. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

lol that's like Ford saying to GM, "is this what is comes down to now? statistical reports on which cars are safer? wow..."

don't complain that someone did a study to determine which is a more stable OS, especially when Apple users ALWAYS tout stability, reliability, ease of use, simplicity, etc in ALL of their products (to include the iPhone). No one here said "apple sucks", they are simply saying that it may suffer from more app crashes...

what IS most important to note, however, is whether this is an issue with developers or the operating system. this is no different than xbox vs ps3. some games work better on specific platforms because the developers initially targeted a specific platform and then may have "half-assed" it for the other in the name of the mighty dollar.

cliff notes: relax

both OSes are pretty awesome these days i could handle a 0.07% chance of an app crashing on my iphone just as much as on an android platform. those numbers are SO small when you think about how often you open an app on your phone versus how often you do everything else during the waking day.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Not sure if it reports automatically but i never noticed the option to do it manually on my Wife's iPhone. Granted i haven't used it since i got my OG back in 09..
  10. dgstorm

To answer your first question. I believe the study was referring to crashes of the OS itself, even when it was an app that caused the crash. As for your second question... It referenced all apps. The source link for the article had quite a bit of info that might clear it up for you, but was far too in-depth to include everything, so I summarized the main conclusion.
  11. Happystranger

Happystranger New Member

I've had the Iphone 4 and now the Iphone 4s, and I to this day have never experienced OS crashes. I'm personally over the whole Android is better than IOS and vice versa. I joined this these forums back when I got the OG Droid on launch day, but over time I noticed an increase in bashing on the Iphone.
    1 person likes this.
  12. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

yeah people used to be pretty civil in regards to Apple threads in this forum but now it's always just an all out bash thread. Kind of sad, you still get the few who like to give a nice civil debate though. They just get overshadowed by the others most of the time.
  13. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

yep, gotta take a lot of this stuff with a grain of salt. i'm sure this happens on both sides though. everyone is passionate about what they own or aspire to own...it's "normal".
  14. OneTenderRebel

while I know this is an Android forum, the stuff some people say to back up their dislike of Apple is far from normal.
  15. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

i meant the "passion" was normal - not the ass-hatery that can ensue on both sides of the fence (can i say ass-hatery?!) lol
    1 person likes this.
  16. OneTenderRebel

haha nice, yeah either way I have been pretty fortunate with my OG Droid and now my Nexus where I don't get too many app crashes, but I try not to download any apps that could be unstable.
  17. dgstorm

I did not intend the tone of the article to come off as iPhone bashing, in fact it was really the opposite, and was designed to give Android users a defense against iPhone users that bash Android users. Some people do; however, take things a bit too seriously and get "passionate" about their favorite tech, and bash the other side.

But really, both smartphone operating systems and the hardware that runs them are amazing advances in technology. I would hope that any "bashing" that is going on is simply fun banter between friends, like it is around the offices here. For what it is worth, I have seen the same "overly passionate" behavior on several different Apple sites when their users smack-talking about Android. I think we can all meet in the middle and agree that smartphones are one of the coolest pieces of tech to come out of the technology age, regardless of Android or iOS!
  18. OneTenderRebel

yeah, just because we are pro-android doesn't mean we have to be anti-apple. This whole "pick a side or we will kill you" (ok no one is threatening death) is a bit ridiculous.
  19. Happystranger

Happystranger New Member

Well all I know is that if I could, I would have a G-Nex too...both OS's have something to offer.
  20. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

To be fair, a lot of the crashes on iOS devices occur when people fail to read the app description that explicitly tells them to reboot before running, and just go ahead and try to run it immediately after installing.

If the crash is caused by user error, the fault does not lie with the device or OS.