Great Article About the Verizon Late Update.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Well that speculation sucks, hopefully something can be worked out and Verizon will roll out updates.

I've been with Verizon for 17 years, and now I'm considering a different carrier for the first time because of the lack of updates. I hope it doesn't come to that because Verizon's service has always been great here in Colorado, but its their decision to support a phone, not mine.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I rooted my Nexus this 1st day I had & never looked back. I bought this phone to do just that. I never waited or took an ota from VZW when I had my D1. It just sucks for those that have this phone & are not into rooting

Btw, good to see you stop in Preach2K!

Tapped from a Nexus

drunkclever

Reaction score
Why doesn't Verizon just add a stipulation to the contracts associated with the nexus devises?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
I have to disagree. Rooting isn't for everyone! True Verizon sucks in updates, but that's the pro/con of being carrier based. They have every right to approve or not what goes on their devices.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have to disagree. Rooting isn't for everyone! True Verizon sucks in updates, but that's the pro/con of being carrier based. They have every right to approve or not what goes on their devices.
Indeed rooting isn't for everyone. However, Verizon had botched this phone before it even officially released. To expect them keep up with updates now at this point is wishful thinking imo. I've said Verizon could've had something real special with being the first carrier with the Nexus, but it's been disappointment after disappointment with the Big Red when it comes to the Nexus.

If that JB update ever releases for stock users, I'm happy for them, because JB is an amazing Android experience. However, I wouldn't count on Verizon to get that experience to them, especially since the Nexus is over a year old now and was never supported in the first place.

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
With all of the hype about the awesome new features JB was giving I along with all the other stock users certainly hope it comes. I'm not holding my breath any after seeing article after article shooting the likelihood down. Sucks since I myself got my Nexus this past October with the belief I'd have a long supported beast of a phone. Maybe something will change before we all completely give up hope.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Verizon never wanted this phone I feel.. They felt pressured a bit and figured let's throw a bone out to all those complaining before about no pure Nexus phones on this carrier.. I hope y'all get the update soon but it's not likely with them as many stated.. Rooting is not for everyone but with a phone like this unlocked is so simple I feel it's one you should definitely consider rooting.. There are many good stock Roms and custom for y'all to enjoy.. You can stay close to stock with no issues or added weight if you wanted.. If you plan to keep this phone and taste key lime pie you might as well start now.. :D

⚡Take Note2 BK's here.. ⚡

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
I can't speak for any other stock users, but I don't know how comfortable I am attempting to root. I'm pretty technically sound, but risking screwing up my personal phone by hoping I d/l the right thing ...I Just don't know. I've read too many threads about people having problems or wiping things out and not being able to find them.

mattjenn

Reaction score
My issue is I have had a nexus before and was unlocked and running custom roms and it was great however even on the nexus there are a lot of bugs and its stuff I use all the time like Bluetooth camera functions etc. So when I decided to buy another nexus after I got rid of my old one I left this one 100% stock and I haven't had any Bluetooth or camera or radio issues at all its working better then my other was running custom roms

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can't speak for any other stock users, but I don't know how comfortable I am attempting to root. I'm pretty technically sound, but risking screwing up my personal phone by hoping I d/l the right thing ...I Just don't know. I've read too many threads about people having problems or wiping things out and not being able to find them.
We were all at that step the first time we rooted. I remember I was a wreck with my OG Droid when I was debating rooting or not. I ended up rooting it about 6mo into ownership and I never looked back.

The great thing about the OG Droid and our Nexus is that they were pretty much impossible to brick. I mean you really have to try to brick the Nexus (and I mean getting the wrong ROM or something that is almost obviously not correct). One-click toolkits make the process is even easier and more user-friendly/straightforward. I understand if people are still uncomfortable even with this method, it is a scary thing to "hack" your phone. But for me, the fact that contacts were backed up to my google account and apps could easily be recovered as they're also tied to my google account made the decision easier. Rooting, back around the OG Droid time wasn't as simple as one-click, but still easy enough to follow(thanks to the quality writeups found here at DF among other boards). Also making sure I had backups, after root of course, eased my mind as well in case I screwed things up (which I did). It's all about double or triple checking the steps and making sure you have the correct versions of what you want to flash. Once you get over the first bump, you're on your way to being a flash-o-holic:D

Advice I always give to those curious of root. When they upgrade to their next device, try rooting the old one. If you're comfortable in doing that it'll be a similar process with your new phone, if you choose to stick with Android of course.