Android 4.0.4

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
All that says to me is that, for whatever reason deep down in the code of cdma devices, the carriers still retain some control that's hindering updates from coming out quickly. Maybe I'm wrong on that assumption... (please correct me devs!)

vinnychase

Reaction score
OK can someone break it down for me then since I'm an idiot... As a VZW Galaxy Nexus user will I get 4.0.4?

Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

???

Reaction score
OK can someone break it down for me then since I'm an idiot... As a VZW Galaxy Nexus user will I get 4.0.4?

Thanks.

not any time soon.... easy as I can say it

the source did drop yesterday thou and a stock 4.0.4 rom is out already for root users, and I loaded it up last night. seems smooth so far and it reads about a bar higher signal but I've been on the 4.0.4 radios for a while, and looking at the db, I don't think they have changed, just displays higher.

oh and so far the os isn't up around 17% battery use like before but I also had to switch from the stock kernel to one for 4.3 and up. so it could be that helping battery

schertz7

Reaction score
not any time soon.... easy as I can say it

the source did drop yesterday thou and a stock 4.0.4 rom is out already for root users, and I loaded it up last night. seems smooth so far and it reads about a bar higher signal but I've been on the 4.0.4 radios for a while, and looking at the db, I don't think they have changed, just displays higher.

oh and so far the os isn't up around 17% battery use like before but I also had to switch from the stock kernel to one for 4.3 and up. so it could be that helping battery

Link to the download?

vinnychase

Reaction score
So as a Verizon user I'm kinda screwed? One of the reasons I bought this phone was because they said there would be timely updates.... Isn't that kinda false advertising? Lol

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
So as a Verizon user I'm kinda screwed? One of the reasons I bought this phone was because they said there would be timely updates.... Isn't that kinda false advertising? Lol

Not necessarily. Just wait and see what happens in April. If we get 4.0.5 like what was hinted at, then you'll have a pretty good picture of the support Verizon's going to give this device. If not, then you better get used to rooting and flashing custom roms to stay up to date.

vinnychase

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Just wait and see what happens in April. If we get 4.0.5 like what was hinted at, then you'll have a pretty good picture of the support Verizon's going to give this device. If not, then you better get used to rooting and flashing custom roms to stay up to date.

I suppose. I've never rooted or anything so I'm leary.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The irony of the whole Android/open-source/yada-yada thing is that even on a Nexus device, we're seeing how Google gives in to the carriers (or at least Verizon) to some extent, even if small. Apple is still the only one that truly seems to dictate what they do and don't do, while the carriers, even Verizon, tend to bend over backwards for them. Windows Phone even seems to have more control over their devices than Android. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out once WP gets some more Verizon devices.

Mind you, this is really what Google/Android wanted all along...

Spydaz

Reaction score
We will be getting an update it may be a modded 4.0.4 or 4.0.5, we will have to wait and see. I for one trust my source as he has never let me astray in the past.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I suppose. I've never rooted or anything so I'm leary.

Start reading up and watching youtube vids on rooting and unlocking / flashing roms etc. It will click for you in no time!

Spydaz

Reaction score
Its so easy with the new toolkit from XDA.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think we're screwed. I think we all were pretty sure Verizon was going to create a slight barrier for us between Google and updates, lets just hope they only delay our updates by a few weeks and not a few months.

I was actually pretty sure that Google was going to man up, put their foot down, and tell VZW how it was going to work. Google failed to do so, just to get their device in another carrier's hands. They conceded to Verizon. I had a feeling they were going to do this, and this is why I wasn't excited at all to be getting a Nexus on VZW. Because I knew it wouldn't be a TRUE Nexus. But, I kept telling myself my feeling was stupid, as Google wasn't gonna sell the Nexus out. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I talk to vzw all they way to tier 3 today and they said they are not going to be pushing the 4.0.4 or any updates for that matter to the nexus. They said its up to google to push the updates.

I dont know...i dont care....this is why im unlocked and rooted..