Verizon Finally Releases Android 4.0.4 Update for their Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google could never have "officially" supported our phones. They believed they would have more cooperation from Verizon than they have received. Google doesn't have access to the CDMA binaries because of patents so Verizon MUST sign the binaries for an OTA to give us calls/data access. The reason Devs can take updated source from Google and compile it into a working ROM is because they use the original signed binaries.
So,whats the difffrence in the Nexus(CDMA)and Apple(Iphone CDMA) which gets updates from Apple?No interference from VZW.Plz forgive,just tryin too understand all this.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google could never have "officially" supported our phones. They believed they would have more cooperation from Verizon than they have received. Google doesn't have access to the CDMA binaries because of patents so Verizon MUST sign the binaries for an OTA to give us calls/data access. The reason Devs can take updated source from Google and compile it into a working ROM is because they use the original signed binaries.
Im really understanding what people mean when they say,this is not a true Nexus phone.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
So,whats the difffrence in the Nexus(CDMA)and Apple(Iphone CDMA) which gets updates from Apple?No interference from VZW.Plz forgive,just tryin too understand all this.

This is where my knowledge runs thin. I'm not sure how Apple goes about the updates as I've never had an iPhone. Apple doesn't really take any crap from carriers though so I'd assume it has something to do with the carriers (like VZW) being willing to bend over backwards for Apple. If Apple says they have an update they want sent out, I bet VZW wastes no time in approving that sucker.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
This is where my knowledge runs thin. I'm not sure how Apple goes about the updates as I've never had an iPhone. Apple doesn't really take any crap from carriers though so I'd assume it has something to do with the carriers (like VZW) being willing to bend over backwards for Apple. If Apple says they have an update they want sent out, I bet VZW wastes no time in approving that sucker.

No 4G involved either so that may make a diff.

sharpz

Reaction score
How do we even know that vz sent the update out? Has anyone received it yet or did they send something out?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I disagree on the knowledge runs thin.Thats the jest of it all-Apple takes NO crap from carriers and VZW bends the rules for Apple and I respect them for that.So I wonder,what did former Pres of Google(the one who sat under Jobs)learn from the Teacher while he Graced him with his presence?Thats the stance he shouldve taken with VZW.Like I said,I wouldve perfered Goggle not allow VZW too sell Nexus if they were gonna do this.I couldve delt with AT&Ts service,in exchange for timely updates.

JJDH

Reaction score
I figured this out. Since the phone is unlocked they expect us to use it how its meant to be used. Root and hack. They figure we can update it ourselves. My conspiracy theroy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I figured this out. Since the phone is unlocked they expect us to use it how its meant to be used. Root and hack. They figure we can update it ourselves. My conspiracy theroy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Ill say this,Its not a crazy thought.Knowing them,they probly are thinking that.

Scubamike

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that droidforums is a little confused about the status of the 4.0.4 update. Google has put the IMM76K update on their update server for us to download and go through the trouble of manually installing. This is very different than an OTA. I sincerely hope that somebody can convince me that I'm wrong because I am hitting the system update button... frequently.

delcopa

Reaction score
My question is will this break google wallet? Should we just update or go into google wallet and wipe data before installing update?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
My question is will this break google wallet? Should we just update or go into google wallet and wipe data before installing update?

I've had no issue since upgrading to the official 4.0.4 several weeks ago. That said, it couldn't hurt to reset wallet beforehand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

Verizon DOES interfere with Apple. That is why the CDMA iPhone 4 never saw an iOS 4.3 update and was stuck on 4.2.x until 5.0 came about.