Verizon officially announces the Verizon Galaxy Nexus by Samsung

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-nexus-full-360.png

The Galaxy Nexus has been one of the hottest topics on the forum this week since the unveiling by Samsung. All the rumors can now be laid to rest as Verizon has officially announced the Galaxy Nexus is coming to Verizon Wireless later this year. See the press release below and check out the Galaxy Nexus Forum for more discussions on the first Android 4.0 phone to hit the streets!

Verizon Wireless today announced that the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung, the world’s first smartphone running on Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich is coming to Verizon Wireless. The Galaxy Nexus will be available later this year in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless.

Ice Cream Sandwich brings a redesigned user interface with enhanced multitasking, notifications, full Web browsing experience and more. Customers will also be able to enjoy the innovative new features that Ice Cream Sandwich offers, such as Face Unlock which uses facial recognition to unlock the Galaxy Nexus. Customers can take advantage of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network to access more than 300,000 apps and games from Android Market™ or rent movies and stream them instantly on the 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display.

Additional features:
· 4G LTE – customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas
· Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
· First smartphone to feature a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display (1280 x 720)
· 1.2 GHz dual-core processor with 1GB RAM
· 5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash, zero shutter lag and 1080p full HD video capture
· 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chatting
· Near Field Communications (NFC) enabled
· Android Beam allows customers to quickly share Web pages, apps and YouTube™ videos with friends by simply tapping compatible phones together
· Support for Google™ mobile services – Android Market, Gmail™, Google Maps™ 5.0 with 3D maps, Google Earth™, Movie Studio, YouTube™, syncing with Google Calendar™ and a redesigned Google+ app

Customers that purchase the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! oh wait, what am I so excited for? I don't have an upgrade 'til 6/12! I hope the off contract price isn't too high.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm ready for this bad boy!! "later of year" can't come soon enough!

zorazz

Reaction score
Customers that purchase the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless.

I am currently on an Alltel contract that I have been grandfathered in on, its been the same account for at 8 years. Does this mean that I cannot get the nexus unless I sign a new Verizon contract?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! oh wait, what am I so excited for? I don't have an upgrade 'til 6/12! I hope the off contract price isn't too high.

off contract price was rumored to be in the $800 range

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
wheres the press release?

It's in the OP.

But here ya go:

VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE GALAXY NEXUS BY SAMSUNG

Features the Latest Version of Android and America’s Fastest and Most Reliable 4G Network

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless today announced that the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung, the world’s first smartphone running on Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich is coming to Verizon Wireless. The Galaxy Nexus will be available later this year in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.

Ice Cream Sandwich brings a redesigned user interface with enhanced multitasking, notifications, full Web browsing experience and more. Customers will also be able to enjoy the innovative new features that Ice Cream Sandwich offers, such as Face Unlock which uses facial recognition to unlock the Galaxy Nexus. Customers can take advantage of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network to access more than 300,000 apps and games from Android Market™ or rent movies and stream them instantly on the 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display.

Additional features:
· 4G LTE – customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas
· Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
· First smartphone to feature a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED™ display (1280 x 720)
· 1.2 GHz dual-core processor with 1GB RAM
· 5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash, zero shutter lag and 1080p full HD video capture
· 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chatting
· Near Field Communications (NFC) enabled
· Android Beam allows customers to quickly share Web pages, apps and YouTube™ videos with friends by simply tapping compatible phones together
· Support for Google™ mobile services – Android Market, Gmail™, Google Maps™ 5.0 with 3D maps, Google Earth™, Movie Studio, YouTube™, syncing with Google Calendar™ and a redesigned Google+ app

Customers that purchase the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I am currently on an Alltel contract that I have been grandfathered in on, its been the same account for at 8 years. Does this mean that I cannot get the nexus unless I sign a new Verizon contract?

That is te standard data plan blurb. You will be fine.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Thank god, finally. It's pretty interesting that they released this after the huge twitter explosion @VerizonWireless regarding the galaxy nexus this morning. I wonder if all of our complaining actually paid off and actually sped up the announcement. Regardless, I couldn't be happier. I would have to say that after the hundreds (maybe thousands) of articles/threads I have read here at DF over the past 2 years (almost) that THIS article made me the happiest out of them all.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What does later this year mean? Not in November? A Christmas special?

Could mean next week, next 2 weeks, Nov, or the last day of December :p

There were a couple pics floating around saying 11/10, but that of course is unconfirmed. Hopefully it is Nov. that's when they usually have "big releases"