Verizon announces HTC Thunderbolt with March 17th release date

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah hotspot works great.. ran my D1 on it to take pictures of my TB and email to some friends.. Sure my D1 ain't an Ipad or Xoom, but it is my new wifi device.. LOL

Slapsmak

Reaction score
And I am talking to my wife while I am surfing...v/d at the same time...Niiiiice

griz8791

Reaction score
Vzw not honoring 1yr deals "we treating it likke the iphone" so if want a tb gonna have to go best buy.
I was told you can do a 1 year at a Verizon store. Either way though I would recommend a 2 year, that way you are locked in for unlimited 4G longer.

I was also told 1-year was feasible at a Verizon store today. I'm a little reluctant to re-up with them for another 2 years because I think it's still too early to evaluate the impact of all the iPhone people flooding onto to VZW. Locking in unlimited 4G for 2 years = good. Locking yourself into a network bogged down by iPhone people = bad.

WillFCDroid

Reaction score
I got mine at 9am at a local Verizon store. They said I could use my NE2 upgrade discount, $30, or my corporate discount, but not both. Since it was $199 with my company discount, I went with that. I also get a discount on accessories, so I got the holster with it, for a total of $241. I asked if I could transfer my NE2 credit to another line, but she said "It's gone."

The phone is heavy and feels solid. Much more responsive than my Droid1 for sure, but the battery does seem to drain quickly. The 4G signal goes in and out in my location, but so far I've only tested youtube video in high quality. The loading takes almost no time and seeking is very responsive. I'm really liking it so far.

Did anybody get the headphones that were rumored to come with the unit? Not a big deal since I have several good sets, but I was just wondering.

ke0kie

Reaction score
Yeah hotspot works great.. ran my D1 on it to take pictures of my TB and email to some friends.. Sure my D1 ain't an Ipad or Xoom, but it is my new wifi device.. LOL

Running the D1 on the TB as a wifi hotspot I love it. That is greatness, I just got my shipment confirmation email from Vz, so I'll be doing the same soon!

What is the market like on a used D1 on ebay? I'm thinking about offsetting my cost by selling. I do like the D1 though, maybe I'll just hold onto it.

--Scott

s54

Reaction score
Ok, WOW, I don't quite know how this is possible, but here is what happened:

I went to both Wirefly and Amazon to buy the HTC Thunderbolt with a 2-year contract, but it wouldn't let me after completing the "am I eligible" fields. It showed me a price of $669 (or something like that) for the phone only.

Keep in mind that I am NOT eligible for an upgrade according to Verizon until November of 2011. So, then, I went to the Verizon corporate website as somebody here suggested. I have been getting a 20% discount on my plan with Verizon through my employer for several years now.

Long story short, I logged into the Verizon corporate website (same log-in as a regular verizon wireless website) and I went to "upgrade my device" just for sh!ts and giggles. I thought that maybe the phone would cost less there; perhaps $500 instead of nearly $700. Then, out of nowhere, it shows the Thunderbolt on the page for $249 with a 2 year contract. At this point, my reaction was "WTF?!"

So, I go through with it and sure enough I just bought one for $249! I can't believe it! I mean, I had 6 more months to go on my contract! I'm not sure if verizon corporate vs regular verizon had anything to do with this, but it worked!

Holy crap! I'm so happy. I thought that I wouldn't be joining you guys :D
It includes free overnight shipping too!

georgek

Reaction score
Vzw not honoring 1yr deals "we treating it likke the iphone" so if want a tb gonna have to go best buy.

I just got back from Verizon and got a 1 year contract. I was already on a 1 year though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

griz8791

Reaction score
Several posters have reported that VZW seems resistant to one-year contracts. Though I was told this morning that I COULD do a one-year deal, I was just inquiring and didn't have the phone in my hand ready to check out and sign on the dotted line.

If indeed they will no longer let you do a one-year deal, that is only the latest in a number of customer-unfriendly changes and rumors of changes in the past 60 days that together make me unwilling to sign on with them for another 2 years.

s54

Reaction score
Several posters have reported that VZW seems resistant to one-year contracts. Though I was told this morning that I COULD do a one-year deal, I was just inquiring and didn't have the phone in my hand ready to check out and sign on the dotted line.

If indeed they will no longer let you do a one-year deal, that is only the latest in a number of customer-unfriendly changes and rumors of changes in the past 60 days that together make me unwilling to sign on with them for another 2 years.

Online Verizon Corporate website does NOT allow you to do a 1 year contract either. Only 2 year contract. Sucks, but oh well. At least we pay less that way.

georgek

Reaction score

Online Verizon Corporate website does NOT allow you to do a 1 year contract either. Only 2 year contract. Sucks, but oh well. At least we pay less that way.

The had the one year option on the Verizon website.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

WillFCDroid

Reaction score
I asked about a one year contract and they told me at the store that I could do it, but I could not use my NE2 credit on it. I ended up using my company discount on a two year contract, but they gave me the option.

Oh man, I just found the FM radio widget! This phone is awesome!

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I asked about a one year contract and they told me at the store that I could do it, but I could not use my NE2 credit on it. I ended up using my company discount on a two year contract, but they gave me the option.

Oh man, I just found the FM radio widget! This phone is awesome!

I don't think that you could ever use NE2 on a 1 year contract. Even when they have a no activation fee promotion, it is only for a 2 year contract.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Ugggh, my TB has been trying to activate for almost a half hour, has this happened to anyone else?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jimmerz

Reaction score
Stopped in the store to play with a TB. About 20 minutes of play time. It had the 4g symbol, the sales person said the 4g was much faster (which it should be). I did not find the touch screen as responsive as my fascinate, no swype which I gues can be added. I tried surfing the web, didn't seem any faster than my 3g and the you tube videos were great high quality, but was interrupted way too much for 4g imo. We'll see how it plays out. Still might be my next phone?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
So hypothetically, if I bought a TB at full retail, would I go to verizon and have my plan changed? Can I just do that?