Android 4.0.4 is Rolling Out to Select Devices

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
ics.jpeg

News broke yesterday that 4.0.4 was pushing to AOSP, and things have been moving fast. Owners of the UMTS/GSM Nexus S, Xoom Wi-Fi, and HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus devices, will be getting a nice little treat starting today. Google has begun pushing the newest version of ICS to those select handsets and tablets. Keep in mind that Verizons Galaxy Nexus is not on that list and Sprints Nexus S is not on that list. Those two particular handsets should be seing the update in the coming weeks according to Google.

We’ve started rolling out Android 4.0.4, Ice Cream Sandwich, to UMTS/GSM Nexus S, Xoom Wi-Fi, and HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus devices, and we'll be rolling it out to more devices in the coming weeks. Some of you will be receiving Ice Cream Sandwich for the first time, while others will be receiving an update to your existing Ice Cream Sandwich experience with stability improvements, better camera performance, smoother screen rotation, improved phone number recognition and more.

This certainly will not sit well with Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners. Buying the Nexus meant receiving those updates in real time, not weeks or months after, but this is life on Big Reds Network. We will keep on top of this story and bring you the latest on Verizon's update schedule when it becomes available. Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners sound off in the comments. Does this upset you that the LTE Galaxy Nexus is being left out of the current update schedule?

Via: Androidguys

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a repeat of a post I just did in another thread, but in my mind this just shows that Google/Android will pretty much bend over backwards for the carriers, meanwhile Apple (and even Windows Phone to a certain extent) truly seem to have control over their devices. But this is pretty much what Google/Android wanted the whole time anyway...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everytime I see an Ice Cream Sandwich on DF I get hungry for one. They all just look so tempting!

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
most of us have been on 4.0.4 for a month or two, thats why a lot of us got a Nexus :)

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
As long as I am not waiting 3-4 weeks for updates I won't be upset. If it's a lenghty delay then I'm not going to be too thrilled. I want it on my GNex and Transformer Prime.

Zael

Reaction score
As somebody who purchased a galaxy nexus because I wanted to have the latest and greatest from Google, I am extremely disappointed. I won't be too upset if the delay is a week or so, but if other devices (transformer prime) start getting 4.0.4 before me, then I have to wonder what the point of getting a galaxy nexus was.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Take yer time and get it right Google. Lot's of issues to work through.. PS, I'm not taking the OTA anyway! :biggrin:

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Take yer time and get it right Google. Lot's of issues to work through.. PS, I'm not taking the OTA anyway! :biggrin:

Its not google delaying The update Big Red is ...I figured this would happen wiht Verizon not allowing google to push updates as google sent them out I figured Big red would show its true colors with the galaxy nexus even know most of you have had it for a awhile now it still is not right for verizon to hold off the update Especially for what you pay them per month these are the 2 main reasons I left verizon

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I have been so disappointed with how so the updates are rolling out. I have had 4.0.2 since day one. There has not been any updates since. I thought that it would roll out faster since this is a Google phone. I do not root but know I am tempted to root if we do not get an update in a couple of weeks. I never rooted before and am tired of waiting for the upgrade to come. I am still using 4.0.2. Do I need to up date to 4.0.3 before upgrading to 4.0.4 on my Verizon version of Galaxy Nexus?

mikeyo1990

Reaction score
Yes we do have to wait but the wait will still probably much less then if we did not have a nexus, as the update would first have to go to the manufacturers and then they would have to integrate their overlay into it. Plus im rooted ne ways so doesnt really matter to me.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I talked to verizon (3 tiers in total) and they said they have no plan on releasing the 4.0.4 update or any updates for that matter. I was told it was google's responsibility to push the updates out. The tier 3 I talked to said that he also has a nexus and that its crap that we might not see another update for our devices.

Who know's.....If we see the update...cool...if not....I guess what ever....im unlocked and rooted....it doesnt matter.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is all because of that "unsupported" issue, regarding CDMA devices. I trust you all recall this?