GPS not Locking

doctboo

Reaction score
Other observations pre Jelly Bean that seemed to be effective during a 2 week test...
1. Every time I rebooted to get GPS back, there were a bunch of automatic app updates waiting. I disabled automatic updates in the Play Store. This was the most effective thing I did, and I couldn't explain any relationship. It just correlates with my experience.
2. If the lock was slow or lost I would move, flip, etc. as recommend. This would work for a short time, but the lock would be lost again.

Here's hoping JB just fixes it.

moset

Reaction score
I heard someone say it might be related to issues with some SIM cards that are part of a bad batch.

RAZR MAXX

bman6074

Reaction score
OK after testing all day and trying standalone GPS 4 times through out the day with success each time. I would say it looks promising that the "GPS lock" is fixed with Jelly bean. :):):):):)

amaralfred

Reaction score
OK after testing all day and trying standalone GPS 4 times through out the day with success each time. I would say it looks promising that the "GPS lock" is fixed with Jelly bean. :):):):):)

Bman: have you definetelly solved gps problems after all this days running jellybean?

bman6074

Reaction score
Bman: have you definetelly solved gps problems after all this days running jellybean?

I would have to say the JB update has resolved the GPS locking issue. I used GPS about 4 times this week and each time it locked to my location within 30 seconds or less. I am using standalone GPS from a widget on one of my pages. I will post a pic of the widget.

amaralfred

Reaction score
after jelly bean?

Doctible: Bman6074 seems to have solved gps issue after running jelly bean. Have you already installed jelly bean as well? Did it work for you? (denitelly?)

amaralfred

Reaction score
Other observations pre Jelly Bean that seemed to be effective during a 2 week test...
1. Every time I rebooted to get GPS back, there were a bunch of automatic app updates waiting. I disabled automatic updates in the Play Store. This was the most effective thing I did, and I couldn't explain any relationship. It just correlates with my experience.
2. If the lock was slow or lost I would move, flip, etc. as recommend. This would work for a short time, but the lock would be lost again.

Here's hoping JB just fixes it.

Doctiboo: Bman6074 seems to have solved gps issues after running jelly bean. Have you already installed jelly bean as well? Did it work for you? (definetly?)

Last edited:

amaralfred

Reaction score
No problem
Have you not gotten jelly bean yet??

No. I got my razr hd in Brazil, where it was launched by Claro on September, 22. I haven´t received the update yet, and Motorola Brazil says it will happen someday in 2013 first quarter... I have already sent device to motorola´s repair, and, after 19 days, phone came back with the same issue. My ipad, which now runs google maps again, works really good with gps locking, even inside house.

jaseman

Reaction score
After the JB update my GPS locks on rather quickly, but it will "say" GPS signal lost (or something like that) about every two or three minutes. When I look at the screen, sure enough it is working to lock back on, which it does in a few seconds, or more. Then it will do it again! Another strange things is that when I am stopped at a light, waiting to turn right or left as GPS told me to, it will speak out at random to keep stright for another quarter mile or something stupid like that. When I ignore the new irrelevant instructions and proceed to turn as needed it gets back to it's normal functioning, until it states that the GPS signal has been lost again. VERY annoying!!!
This DID NOT happen under ICS! :frown:
Already did an FDR etc., etc. Nothing helps. ICS was certainly a better OS. I hope they get this stuff fixed SOON!

bman6074

Reaction score
After the JB update my GPS locks on rather quickly, but it will "say" GPS signal lost (or something like that) about every two or three minutes. When I look at the screen, sure enough it is working to lock back on, which it does in a few seconds, or more. Then it will do it again! Another strange things is that when I am stopped at a light, waiting to turn right or left as GPS told me to, it will speak out at random to keep stright for another quarter mile or something stupid like that. When I ignore the new irrelevant instructions and proceed to turn as needed it gets back to it's normal functioning, until it states that the GPS signal has been lost again. VERY annoying!!!
This DID NOT happen under ICS! :frown:
Already did an FDR etc., etc. Nothing helps. ICS was certainly a better OS. I hope they get this stuff fixed SOON!

The first time i used GPS after JB update i did get lost. I didn't' loss signal as far as i could tell. It just took me to the wrong address. But once i searched for the store i was going to instead of the address it got me there. I wasn't that far. After that one hiccup its been fine now. As far as i know google maps is still considered beta?? Anytime i see an update it says beta.

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
I was told by a VZW technical support person that phone GPS uses towers and Data to find your position, not satellites. If this is true , why doesn't it use satellite GPS signals to locate position??? Hand held GPS units are about the same size as a phone and look very similar.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Most newer phones, if not all of them, now have "stand alone gps" and do not need data turned on (which accesses the towers) to maintain location/position... solely using satellites instead.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums