GPS not Locking

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble getting the GPS to lock on? Tried GPS status, no dice.

skier8735

Reaction score
I got mine on launch day and have had zero problems with the GPS. In fact it locks on generally in seconds and even locks on in my apartment with 2 floors above me where neither my magellan handheld gps or droid charge could even see more than 1 or 2 satellites.

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Still can't a lock half of the time. Maybe I got a bad device? May exchange for another one.

maxxhd

Reaction score
If it's not a signal issue or something trivial, I'd exchange it if I were you. My GPS also locks in seconds.

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Well I'm finally getting a lock, however, the location is way off. I think I got a lemon. I wish you all the best of luck!

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
Mine locks fine 97% percent of the time. There was 2 times where my location couldn't be determined, and it kept having the "searching for location" notification in the pull down. I had to restart the phone both times for the notification to go away.

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Alright... I couldn't rid my device of the GPS issues, so I swapped it out for a new one... SAME ISSUE! Is nobody else having issues with your location not locking in or, in Google Maps, your location moving all over the place?

Super1

Reaction score
Mine worked great til updated Ics. After update it would take around 5-10 minutes to lock on. Downloaded GPS Doctor from the market - $1.99. I had my doubts, but works great now. Locks on in 2-3 seconds, very accurate as well.

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Interesting... I may have to give this a shot. When I look at my location on any application, I look like a jumping bean!

doctboo

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue. Sometimes if I reboot, it will lock immediately, and other times no joy. I've been using GPS Test to see what the device is doing. What's frustrating is that the GPS Status = On, and In View are 18 satellites, but In Use = 0. Of course, I don't know that 18 are really in view or if 18 should be in view based on Assisted GPS.

I'm expecting this to be an issue for a lot of people in the near future. It can't be a coincidence.

Either way, I'm headed back to the Verizon store this afternoon.

Super1

Reaction score
Lol, been there - done that. They'll tell you to do a factory reset. I did it twice, didn't make a difference for me. The GPS Doctor fixed my phone, well worth the $1.99 from the market. Good luck.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
GPS essentials, free from the play store has worked great for me also.

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Thank goodness I'm not the only one... thought I was going crazy!

doctboo

Reaction score
I figured the first thing they would have me do is a factory reset so I did that yesterday. So far it hasn't crapped out on me.

I haven't reconfigured all of my stuff and thought I would do so slowly to see if there's a particular app/config that's interfering.

Bacchus224

Reaction score
WiFi Seemed to help

I was having this same problem today. The GPS was searching for close to 10 minutes. As I was messing with the phone, I recieved the prompt that tells you that turning on your wifi can enhance your location services. While I do not understand the relationship, I relented and turned on my wifi. The phone immediatley locked on to my location and so far today has continued to do so. I have no idea if this is coincidental or not. As I said before, I do not understand how having wifi on would effect GPS locking, but in this case it seemed to.