Google voice screwed me

DigiK

Reaction score
I take it this is because you created a new Google Voice number? What if I still use my Verizon number?

Sorry, but this post doesn't make sense to me. If it does to somebody please respond so I don't keep coming back to find out how dumb I was.

Hkokbill, I think hysibm is just confused about the exact workings of Google Voice configured as a Voice Mail replacement and as a fully implemented calling/forwarding method...

So @hysibm: If you want to use GV for outbound calling, you register a GV number. With the app installed on your phone, you're presented with an option to dial from your GV number or carrier number when you go to make a call. Outbound GV calls WILL use your carrier minutes since it's dialing a special Google access number that is NOT in your network. Your calls are then tunneled from point to point using Google's network, which is how they provide cheap international calling

You can get around this limitation and get completely free outbound domestic calls by:

1)Add your GV# to FnF and manually call your GV# to place an outbound call via the menu system; your GV# is the effective access number to Goog call servers.

2)Add the local access number to your FnF and call as normal using your GV#. Downside to this is that it can periodically change and DOES change if you travel. I really don't recommend this method.

3)Install GVMyNumber which integrates with native dialer. When you choose to dial using your GV#, GVMyNumber automatically dials your GV# and places the call. Add your GV# to FnF once and forget about it; your GV# is the effective access number to Goog call servers.

To quickly ascertain which carrier a contact is on for outbound calls/texts, you can use something like VZW's FnF phone number verifier tool. Under their contact name suffix, simply append VZW, ATT, FnF etc; and you'll quickly be able to see which carrier they're on from the Rolodex before you make a call. It will look like this: Dave Blahblah, VZW

There's nothing unethical about using GV for free outbound, domestic calls. Google can simply route & tunnel calls cheaper than the carriers would like you to believe is possible; you're leveraging this to your advantage via FnF, but you just need to know how to use the tools at your disposal properly. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

hyisbm

Reaction score
I never created a GV number. I chose to keep the one from Verizon. The only reason I have GV was it was much easier for me to use its app to retrieve voicemails instead of having to dial to get Verizon's (I'm disabled and have no use of my hands). So anything I can do to the phone to reduce the number of steps I have to take saves me a lot of time and frustration. Should I be worried if this is all I use it for? I would think not. Minutes are not an issue as most of my friends and family are on Verizon.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I think you're covered. The OP's issue was not taking all the required precautions. If in doubt try installing the My Verizon app and checking your minutes-to-date for the billing cycle. :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try researching a bit the next time...
Bingo.

Note that Google has stated repeatedly the GV is not designed/intended to save you minutes.

Most tech and Android discussion forum sites I frequent mentioned this long ago (and quite often for the forum sites). If you're going to rely on a trick then you also need to keep yourself up-to-date. You can't just set it and forget it.

Thanks for the useful "I am so smart I knew that already response"
Meh. It's about as useful as "It's GV's fault and not my own" comments IMO.

There are a number of other threads here that mention the rotating dial-out number as it's not new by any means. If those threads didn't educate everyone, how is this thread going to be different?

FYI -- if you're not aware, GV's SMS forwarding can burn you as well.

Last edited:

iPirate

Reaction score
Doesn't Google Voice warn you that carrier charges still apply? Did you think you found a free ride to making calls?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

It's burning me and I don't even use it. I have a friend with unlimited texts but, for privacy concerns, will only text from GV. Net result? I had to up my texting limit from 250 to 500. Luckily finances had changed enough here that I could swing the extra $5 a month. Yes, money IS that tight here. :(

iPirate

Reaction score
So you get a text msg and a google voice text msg? Why not turn off the txt msg and save 3 days of your life from deleting them in both locations

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Man that's screwed up I just downloaded it as guess I will b deleting it for sure thanx man

Using TapTalk Damnit

HamDog

Reaction score

It's burning me and I don't even use it. I have a friend with unlimited texts but, for privacy concerns, will only text from GV. Net result? I had to up my texting limit from 250 to 500. Luckily finances had changed enough here that I could swing the extra $5 a month. Yes, money IS that tight here. :(

Not sure I understand this. Why would your bill be affected due to your friend choosing GV or VZ for SMS?

I turned off SMS from Verizon and only use GV. And to others on this board, why would you even forward GV SMS to your regular SMS? What's the point in that? Why not just use GV as your default SMS once and for all?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
GV texts aren't in-network texts. Verizon doesn't recognize them as coming from a Verizon number because, shock, they're not. They're coming from the GV number.

GrinReaper

Reaction score
I don't have fnf, does that mean I can't make free calls using google voice. I got my droid x yesterday and was planning to use gv to make all my outgoing calls. :(

GrinReaper

Reaction score
Thanks !!
I just uninstalled GV. But even now when a call on my DX, I see a white square with green borders with the phone symbol in it in my notifications panel. Does that mean its using Google voice to make calls ?
(my apologies if that sounds stupid, but I am very new to Android, just got my DX yesterday)

HamDog

Reaction score
GV texts aren't in-network texts. Verizon doesn't recognize them as coming from a Verizon number because, shock, they're not. They're coming from the GV number.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying. I didn't even know there was such a thing as in-network or out-of-network texts. So basically, if he's using his GV to send you a text to your regular VZ number, it's considered an out of network text and you get charged.

Just curious, couldn't you get a GV number and have him text you to your GV sms so it will be free?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

Ah! Thanks for clarifying. I didn't even know there was such a thing as in-network or out-of-network texts. So basically, if he's using his GV to send you a text to your regular VZ number, it's considered an out of network text and you get charged.

Just curious, couldn't you get a GV number and have him text you to your GV sms so it will be free?
I could but I haven't. :) When I saw all the rigmarole I'd have to jump through to get the free number for outgoing calls (and the fact that the SIP they were going through to get them originally ran out like a week before I signed up for GV service, haven't checked back since) and whatnot I decided to drop the issue. I have Skype and AIM and Yahoo! Messenger, but my friend likes texting from a Droid instead of signing in to one of those.