Google voice screwed me

GrinReaper

Reaction score
OK ...I just spoke to two different Verizon Reps who told me that GV calls don't use minutes, but use data. What gives ??

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
OK ...I just spoke to two different Verizon Reps who told me that GV calls don't use minutes, but use data. What gives ??
Yet another case of reps who don't know what they're talking about. There's a Skype app that does that now, but you have to be using WiFi unless you have the cracked version and even then you have to use Skype credit.

GrinReaper

Reaction score
Damned GV, out to screw me. Uninstalled it and I just downloaded and installed the hacked Skype. Do I need to uninstall the old skype before (I don't think I can, unless i root right?)

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you just use a early version of Google Voice?

littlerick

Reaction score
why not just pay a little more every month and get unlimited minutes? seems like its a lot less hassel then trying to find a way to get free minutes then complain you got charged for minutes you obviously used. pay a little more a month and you dont have to worry about it.

NebulaOcton

Reaction score
I jsut read this entire thread and WOW!

If you use GV to dial out all the time, it uses your normal minutes. You can cheat verizon out of using those minutes but thats a hassle and it requires you to keep up with the trends.

GV as an sms option uses data. You don't need a text plan if this is all you use to text. You cannot get MMS though. You don't need to forward your texts to your Verizon number. The app works just fine so long as you aren't using an app killer.

There is no way currently to do VoIP with GV through a droid.

There is no reason to be scared of GV unless you are trying to cheat Verizon.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I jsut read this entire thread and WOW!

If you use GV to dial out all the time, it uses your normal minutes. You can cheat verizon out of using those minutes but thats a hassle and it requires you to keep up with the trends.

GV as an sms option uses data. You don't need a text plan if this is all you use to text. You cannot get MMS though. You don't need to forward your texts to your Verizon number. The app works just fine so long as you aren't using an app killer.

There is no way currently to do VoIP with GV through a droid.

There is no reason to be scared of GV unless you are trying to cheat Verizon.

That's a pretty good summary. I use GV for texting frequently. I have no issues GV.

Those of you who want to make free calls, use the phone with your gmail. If you computer has a microphone and speakers, you're in.

Now I know you can't carry your computer everywhere like a phone, but if you are at home it's a great way to make free calls.

googlelover

Reaction score
actually everyone here who says free calling is impossible with Gv is wrong, well technically they are. If you were lucky enough to create a gizmo5 account before they closed new registrations you can get completely free calls over your data connection. Gizmo5 was made to work freely with Gv, and they even made an app for android called Guava so for anyone with an old gizmo account you can set up free calling on your android phone!