*~*~*GoOgLE TaLk iNVERTED fOR GiNgErBrEaD*~*~*

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Glad that you guys got it and did it on your own (that is the most rewarding part). Reason I created guides was for people to see how to do things and go from there to do their own mods. Just don't let it take over you world as I let it.

I wont.... my wife is very understanding about my theming and as long as I make her her own theme that nobody else has, she loves it... lol... but this was a freak move today cause neither of us understand smali files and we were told to do it one way that errored out... I happened to try one last edit and it didn't error.... cakes is the most determined lady I know so we were both stoked that we actually pulled it off.... thanks man.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
Thank you guys for converting this! I'm experiencing a strange problem that I haven't seen before on either the stock or inverted Talk (I used the inverted talk on Froyo). The Talk.apk is in my drawer and it seems to open fine, but then I get a blank black screen indefinitely, although I can pull up the menu, and the spinner at the top just keeps spinning (like it's having trouble loading or signing in, but it doesn't show the Talk logo on sign in, as it usually does). I've tried redownloading and reinstalling, fixing permissions and zipaligning, but nothing has worked. Is anyone else seeing this?

Last edited:
OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did you install the update.zip or the apk? someone mentioned the update.zip doesn't play well with some roms. You are on a gingerbread rom right? this is only for gingerbread.

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
Did you install the update.zip or the apk? someone mentioned the update.zip doesn't play well with some roms. You are on a gingerbread rom right? this is only for gingerbread.

Yes, I'm on Gingerbread and I did install via update zip. Thanks for the response -- I'll try the apk.

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What rom are ya on?... It shouldn't have mattered since its a universal Apk but we are both on UD 3.0.1 so we extracted Talk from that rom and its great so far for anyone one 3.0.1.... we didn't have time to thoroughly test it on every rom tho.... so if it still doesn't work, we will see what we can do to get it fixed.... :)

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
What rom are ya on?... It shouldn't have mattered since its a universal Apk but we are both on UD 3.0.1 so we extracted Talk from that rom and its great so far for anyone one 3.0.1.... we didn't have time to thoroughly test it on every rom tho.... so if it still doesn't work, we will see what we can do to get it fixed.... :)

Wow, thank you -- you guys rock! I did try the APK, and got exactly the same result as with the update zip after installing it from my SD card using a package installer. I also tried placing it in /system/app with Root Explorer, changing permissions and rebooting and the app wouldn't show up in my app tray. I also tried installing it using Root Explorer while it was in /system/app and it wouldn't install. So I guess it's probably due to a ROM incompatibility. I'm on Project Elite v5. I've attached the stock Talk from that ROM (I just renamed .apk to .zip for posting purposes).

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok cool.. by tomorrow we should have it figured out.... its a smali edit and I have no clue if there are multiple possibilities to use to invert it, but only 1 makes it universal or what.... so I apologize but we will get it straightened out....

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
Ok cool.. by tomorrow we should have it figured out.... its a smali edit and I have no clue if there are multiple possibilities to use to invert it, but only 1 makes it universal or what.... so I apologize but we will get it straightened out....

PLEASE don't apologize! I'm so grateful for your help and all the great work you do -- I couldn't edit a smali to save my life!!

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok, then I'm NOT sorry and you should quit complaining ..... lol.. jk... it was our/my first smali adventure and there like 30k lines in all of them combined so just finding the right line was a miracle for us... fixing it was purely luck... lol.... but we know what line it is so between me, cakes, Xkape and ecsnead we should be able to get a perfect, rom universal inverted gtalk available asap... but we can prob invert the pe one you linked to hold ya over.... :)

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok so Mbk just tested the original inverted talk me and cakes made on the newest PE and it installed just fine.... so hold on and I'll see if there is something that needs to be done to make it install....

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It worked fine for me too...

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
This is driving me crazy, it's got to be my phone since others on PE haven't had a problem, but I've tried everything and this is the only inverted app that won't work for me. I've got the inverted market, calendar, search and gmail and all work just fine. I've had an inverted talk since last summer and I'm really missing it. I open for any and all ideas!

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If I were in your situation, I would go into manage apps, clear data and cache for gtalk. then. i would open up root explorer and go into the data folder and the system folder and delete the app wherever it showed up at. I would then reboot my phone and check to make sure after boot that it was completely gone. Then I would go into recovery and try to isntall the app as an update.zip

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
If I were in your situation, I would go into manage apps, clear data and cache for gtalk. then. i would open up root explorer and go into the data folder and the system folder and delete the app wherever it showed up at. I would then reboot my phone and check to make sure after boot that it was completely gone. Then I would go into recovery and try to isntall the app as an update.zip

That's great advice, X, but I've tried that. It wouldn't hurt to try it again though!

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
maybe its like the market whre, in order to get it to work, you need to restore to a previous version and then install teh update?