Google Maps upgraded to 4.1

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
I really don't get the maps as Live wallpaper at all?? I mean it constantly uses resources, looks busy, and if you have any icons/shortcuts/widgets on your screen as most do then you really can't see it that well.

Come on Google! Why not just come out with a feature most people have asked for like a "Follow Me feature" that you can use that displays the map in turn by turn view that will auto orientate the map in the direction you are traveling without the turn by turn voice. Its standard in most Car Nagivation GPS systems.

Nice for looking for shortcuts on your daily travels!

I agree the google maps wallpaper doesn't do it for me. I would rather see my own personal background rather than a estimated view of where I'm at.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I agree the google maps wallpaper doesn't do it for me. I would rather see my own personal background rather than a estimated view of where I'm at.

True, but the iphone fanbois I have been showing that to this morning are hating me right now....:icon_ banana:

cj1896

Reaction score
I can't install mine, it refuses to update saying that the package file is not correct. Is my ROM causing this?

haZZard

Reaction score
I am running Android 2.1-update 1 Build ESE53 on my Droid and I get prompted to update my Google Maps, but it fails every time. I even tried to manually update it via the posted APK file in this thread and it fails.

I get the error message "Installation unsuccessful." "Package file was not signed correctly."

Any ideas? This is the stock SBF file that leaked which was used for my Droid. I have not rooted it or applied any other hacks.

I'm having the exact same problem. Running Smoked Glass 6.0.1 ROM. Has anybody figured out a work around for this?

-haZZard

krazykarl

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this with the car dock yet? With the compass arrow labs feature (which it seems they've moved into the standard app) whenever I'd stop at a light, the arrow would spin randomly because of the magnet in the dock. Have they somehow fixed this? I can't think of how they could other than disabling it when it's docked...

micdavis

Reaction score
I installed the new map but I dont see how to get the Live wallpaper. Can anyone help?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If your having issues installing 4.1...go into settings > applications > manage apps > removed all updates on google maps, and then redownloaded and installed the update.

Kobra

Reaction score
I am running Android 2.1-update 1 Build ESE53 on my Droid and I get prompted to update my Google Maps, but it fails every time. I even tried to manually update it via the posted APK file in this thread and it fails.

I get the error message "Installation unsuccessful." "Package file was not signed correctly."

Any ideas? This is the stock SBF file that leaked which was used for my Droid. I have not rooted it or applied any other hacks.

I'm having the exact same problem. Running Smoked Glass 6.0.1 ROM. Has anybody figured out a work around for this?

-haZZard

Have you looked in manage applications and see if you have com.google.android.apps.maps listed? If so, click uninstall then install from market.

I know that is what I did once when I was having trouble upgrading a previous upgrade of maps. May not be the same issue but its worth checking.

JayCizzo

Reaction score

-haZZard

Take a few minutes to read the thread you're posting in.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-google-maps-upgraded-4-1-a-5.html#post314922

rican408

Reaction score
For those waiting for 2.1.... live wallpaper will not be included.... u must root with a Rom for live wallpaper......

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I installed the new map but I dont see how to get the Live wallpaper. Can anyone help?

Same problem here and I've both searched my phone and waited to see if there's a clue on this thread. To no avail. In fact, I'm more confused than ever. I really can't imagine why I'd want a map as my wallpaper but I'm simply curious as to how it works.

I'm running a completely stock 2.0.1 and successfully installed Maps 4.1 but I don't see anything anywhere about using maps for "wallpaper," live or dead.

butch350

Reaction score
I like GIRLS on my wallpaper. A Map? I don't think so - unless the map is leading me to more girls.

Last edited:
Reaction score
okay guys, just curious with those with the maps as thier wallpaper, how has this effected your battery? does your phone run as long as it does normally or do you see a shorter lifespan?

dpw2atox

Reaction score
As i said before...

Any ideas? This is the stock SBF file that leaked which was used for my Droid. I have NOT rooted it or applied any other hacks.

This means there are no previous updates to Google Maps I can uninstall, I can not mount my file system Read/Write and delete Maps, etc..

Does anyone have any idea why I am getting the package file was not signed correctly message? Any idea what I could do as a workaround besides root the Droid?