Google Maps upgraded to 4.1

JCo352

Reaction score
What exactly is latitude? I've never used it.

It is a location program that you and your friends can use to see where each other is.

Oh, ok. I had an idea it was something like that, thank you.
Also how do I get google maps to be a live wallpaper? I look under my live wallpapers and there is nothing in there for google maps.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
i cant get it to install or uninstall currant edition i'm running smoked glass 6.0.1:mad:

just posted this elsewhere it is what I did and I am also on SG6.0. Others with other themes should search for "maps" as some files are in system/data/data too for those others:

1) opened the app Root Explorer
2) navigated to /system/apps and made the folder Read/Writeable
3) longpress on maps.apk to rename the maps.apk to maps.apk.bak (remove it if you wish...I don't like deleting things)
4) made the folder Read/Only
5) rebooted
6) menukey > Settings/Applications/Managed Applications/ menukey > filter > all
7) located com.android.google.apps.maps which has a size of 0.00b
8) clicked it and uninstalled
9) went to the market, located and installed maps.
10) enjoy

Worked perfectly. Thank you very much for sharing the info.

masters

Reaction score
Best part of the update is the live wallpaper map, with the traffic overlay following you around..

I see the setting for Normal, Terrain and Sat view for the maps but can you set it to show the compass when stationary like the app?

dpw2atox

Reaction score
I am running Android 2.1-update 1 Build ESE53 on my Droid and I get prompted to update my Google Maps, but it fails every time. I even tried to manually update it via the posted APK file in this thread and it fails.

I get the error message "Installation unsuccessful." "Package file was not signed correctly."

Any ideas? This is the stock SBF file that leaked which was used for my Droid. I have not rooted it or applied any other hacks.

kaboyd

Reaction score
I can't get the live wallpaper to give me an accurate location. I've tried to uninstall/install, reboot, battery pull... It's always in the same place, two miles off.

atlharry

Reaction score
I don't think the live wallpaper uses GPS. That would be ridiculous for the battery. Since it's only using Cell Triangulation, it's getting your approx. location.

kaboyd

Reaction score
I don't think the live wallpaper uses GPS. That would be ridiculous for the battery. Since it's only using Cell Triangulation, it's getting your approx. location.

That makes sense considering I have the same location with gps turned on or off, and my gps icon is not showing.

M1dnite

Reaction score
I used the live maps wall paper for a few mins, but took it off. Just didn't fit the whole color scheme. It seems cool, but it does bog down my phone. I am 1ghz running Droid Mod1.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems to have the compass turned on now even if you aren't moving. Seems really accurate as well.

I hate that, and no way to turn it off?

I like the dot when stationary.

Oh, I guess this maps as live wallpaper would be proof that not all new stuff in 2.1 is listed for those to find out ...

pjo1966

Reaction score
The ability to switch accounts is HUGE for me. My primary account on the phone is a Google Apps account, which doesn't have My Maps. Now I can use my Droid for one of the reasons I purchased it, being able to create a map on my computer and access it on the Droid. Whatever 2.1 brings will pale in comparison to this.

Kobra

Reaction score
I really don't get the maps as Live wallpaper at all?? I mean it constantly uses resources, looks busy, and if you have any icons/shortcuts/widgets on your screen as most do then you really can't see it that well.

Come on Google! Why not just come out with a feature most people have asked for like a "Follow Me feature" that you can use that displays the map in turn by turn view that will auto orientate the map in the direction you are traveling without the turn by turn voice. Its standard in most Car Nagivation GPS systems.

Nice for looking for shortcuts on your daily travels!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a "Bling" thing ...

Some will like it, some will not. If only using Cell location, then the only batt life used would be that of any other LW IMO, since it would move when you do, and interactive is the zoomming.

But hey, I'll find out today or tomorrow myself :)