Lattitude Refresh rate in Google Maps

joker920

Reaction score
When you are watching friends using Latitude in Google Maps, I see it say, updated "10 minutes ago", or whatever time. What/who determines the frequency of the update? Can I change it for my friends or only for me or not at all?

droidilac

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I am curious myself. Like on my GF's Droid it shows me updated every 10-25mins. For some reason on my droid though she won't refresh for days sometimes.

I think I am going to give the that GPS calibration post I saw in another thread.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
yeah my girlfriends location is usually at least 10 hours behind. Another friend, with an Eris is usually "only" 40 minutes off or so.

Makes Latitude completely worthless.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
yeah my girlfriends location is usually at least 10 hours behind. Another friend, with an Eris is usually "only" 40 minutes off or so.

Not sure what phones your gf and "other friend" have but my fiance, my dad, and my brother who have either android phones or a blackberry theirs is updated on constantly, only true updates however come when someone moves from their location, so it may say that it was last refreshed 10 hours ago due to the fact that they havent moved, i know windows mobile phones you had to actually open the app and iphones well yeah they only work as well when you open the app, unlike the android and blackberry phones that always have it running in the background.

OP
joker920

joker920

Reaction score

Not sure what phones your gf and "other friend" have but my fiance, my dad, and my brother who have either android phones or a blackberry theirs is updated on constantly, only true updates however come when someone moves from their location, so it may say that it was last refreshed 10 hours ago due to the fact that they havent moved, i know windows mobile phones you had to actually open the app and iphones well yeah they only work as well when you open the app, unlike the android and blackberry phones that always have it running in the background.

All very good information. Thank you very much.

So....this of course leads me to the next scenario and question.
Let's say my friend and I are parked next to each other. If he drives away from me, can I actually see him moving on my map or does it just put him farther away from me as I refresh the screen?

Please don't think that I am lazy. I know that I could test this out myself, but as these questions just popped up in my head, it is1:30am here and I am in no position to test it out right now.

droidilac

Reaction score

Let's say my friend and I are parked next to each other. If he drives away from me, can I actually see him moving on my map or does it just put him farther away from me as I refresh the screen?

Please don't think that I am lazy. I know that I could test this out myself, but as these questions just popped up in my head, it is1:30am here and I am in no position to test it out right now.

I tested this one time with my GF. We were at her sister's and I drove off with with my Droid while she tracked me on her Droid. She said it "auto" refreshed every few mins and each time it showed me further and further away. However one other time when I was with her dad she said at one point it showed me moving in real time. I believe lattitude isn't working at its peak. Lol hopefully it will get better.

On her Droid as long as I move it refreshes my location. That's without me opening Google Maps and/or refreshing my location. On her location though it won't refresh on my phone untill I open her maps app and refresh her location. Which makes me wonder if I might have an app that pings my location and while at it refreshes me in lattitude. IDK lol

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

I tested this one time with my GF. We were at her sister's and I drove off with with my Droid while she tracked me on her Droid. She said it "auto" refreshed every few mins and each time it showed me further and further away. However one other time when I was with her dad she said at one point it showed me moving in real time. I believe lattitude isn't working at its peak. Lol hopefully it will get better.

On her Droid as long as I move it refreshes my location. That's without me opening Google Maps and/or refreshing my location. On her location though it won't refresh on my phone untill I open her maps app and refresh her location. Which makes me wonder if I might have an app that pings my location and while at it refreshes me in lattitude. IDK lol

I think but i might be wrong on this one will try to test later on tonight, but if you have the map actually open or are using the nav feature of google maps and someone tries to see where you are they may get the actual location and not just that radius thing that you see normally in latitude.

OP
joker920

joker920

Reaction score
All good stuff.

Let us know what you find out!

Thanks all!

dylanthecat

Reaction score
If you enable latitude history you can see where you have been. It appears it updates every 10 minutes or so.

Cowpoke

Reaction score

It doesn't seem to work like that for us, she has a droid, he has an eris. Her current location is 5 miles off and 3 hours old and his is 10 miles off and 20 hours old. They are both at their homes right now. I was with the friend last night when we moved away from the location his its still showing, and he didn't turn gps off.

MattPyle

Reaction score

It doesn't seem to work like that for us, she has a droid, he has an eris. Her current location is 5 miles off and 3 hours old and his is 10 miles off and 20 hours old. They are both at their homes right now. I was with the friend last night when we moved away from the location his its still showing, and he didn't turn gps off.

GPS doesn't work so well under a ceiling. If both people are out in the open, it will show each others location in real time.

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw a post on setting Latitude History - is that done on iGoogle on the PC or are there Latitude settings within Google Maps that I just don't know about (or can't find)?

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I saw a post on setting Latitude History - is that done on iGoogle on the PC or are there Latitude settings within Google Maps that I just don't know about (or can't find)?

On a PC search for lattitude history and then login and enable history.

Parafly9

Reaction score

This is completely untrue. I've seen my friends leave work and I know they are enroute home (like a 40 minnute drive) and Latitude will still showt hem where they were 10+ minutes ago.

When my wife and I both had blackberries Latitude updates were constant. I could drive down the road and my wife could watch and would know exactly where I was. Not the same on our Droids for some reason.

It's one of the very few things I noticed the blackberry did better.