Google Maps Update

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Swift- I got it by uninstalling the old Street.apk like you said, it makes sense now that I think about it...I guess I didn't realize there even was a Street.apk in system/app

By the way, pegman is nice

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the issue with maps last month. Wonder if we can use this:

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
busybox rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
cd ..
cd ..
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
sync

and replace maps with street to get:

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
busybox rm system/app/Street.apk
cd system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.street
cd ..
cd ..
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
sync

HMMMMM, we'll have to see.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wricks, did you try deleting Maps and Street.apk from system/app with root explorer, rebooting and then installing both fresh from the Market ?

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wricks, did you try deleting Maps and Street.apk from system/app with root explorer, rebooting and then installing both fresh from the Market ?

LOL, I was busy looking up the SU process and didn't see the posts. Guess I could use Astro to do the delete. Would save some data entry.

pyro6128

Reaction score
I uninstalled street.apk and removed it with root explorer, rebooted and I still can't get it to work. I can't click on "Open". Uninstall is my only option.

its not supposed to open i dont think. Its an addon for maps. I havent gotten it yet though, still waiting to see what method works

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
pyro, uninstalling street.apk and Maps.apk from system/app, rebooting and then reinstalling the new Street View and Maps from the Market worked for me

I then moved both from data/app back to system/app and rebooted one more time

pyro6128

Reaction score
pyro, uninstalling street.apk and Maps.apk from system/app, rebooting and then reinstalling the new Street View and Maps from the Market worked for me

I then moved both from data/app back to system/app and rebooted one more time

I just deleted streetview.apk and maps.apk from system using root explorer and rebooted and maps is still installed. What did I do wrong?

pyro6128

Reaction score
cant edit, i rebooted after, and maps is still installed, how can I fix this. I don't want to end up messing anything up

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You probably have a copy in data/app too you should be able to uninstall that from the uninstall menu

When you have an market app installed in the system/app folder and an update is available, the update gets installed in the data/app folder leaving the original copy in system/app to take up space

pyro6128

Reaction score
when moving maps and street view back to system/app, do i have to reset permissions?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I uninstalled street.apk and removed it with root explorer, rebooted and I still can't get it to work. I can't click on "Open". Uninstall is my only option.

its not supposed to open i dont think. Its an addon for maps. I havent gotten it yet though, still waiting to see what method works
Yeah it's an add-on. Thought it was a separate app. Not sure when I'll ever use this but I guess it's cool.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just go to data/app long press choose move, navigate to system/app and choose paste, do this for both and reboot

No need to set permissions

pyro6128

Reaction score
thanks a ton, it worked just as you said. Sorry to have bothered you so much, I appreciate the help

Santee

Reaction score
I remember about that lady who had use google maps on her phone for walking directions and it led her to walk on a freeway and she then got hit by a car. Wasn't googles fault.