Google Maps Update

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
google-map-updates9.png

Google raises the bar once again with the latest Google Maps update. The update includes Walking Navigation, Street View smart navigation, and a new Google Maps search bar. Here's a quick overview of the new features from Google's Mobile Blog:

Walking Navigation
Walking Navigation lets you use GPS navigation with walking directions that are more direct and use pedestrian pathways when we know about them. To try it now, choose the “Walking” option from the Navigation icon. Walking Navigation has a few changes that help when you’re on your feet. For example, your phone will vibrate when you need to make a turn. You can even turn off voice guidance and just use these notifications while soaking in the sights and sounds around you. To help you orient yourself with your surroundings, the map will rotate with you as you turn the phone, and walking mode uses satellite view by default. Use it like a virtual compass with satellite imagery to look ahead or help pick out landmarks along the way.

Street View smart navigation

If you want a sneak preview of where you’re going, use the new Street View on Google Maps with smart navigation and updated imagery. Just like with Street View smart navigation on your computer, you no longer have to slowly move down a street by tapping arrows along roads repeatedly. Now you can quickly navigate Street View by dragging Pegman from the corner and highlighting where you want to go with a lightly shaded “pancake” on roads or a rectangle on buildings. Let go of the screen when highlighting the front of a building, and you’ll fly there and turn to face it. With a swipe of your finger, you can hop rivers and scale buildings.

New Google Maps search bar
At the top of the map, you’ll find the new Google Maps search bar always available for easy access. Tap it to quickly start searching, open Places, use the Layers menu, or find yourself on the map with My Location. Here are more new features that may be helpful when you’re looking for nearby places:
  • Filter search results by distance or ratings
  • View prices categorized with dollar signs
  • See cross streets for places.

Check out the video after the post.

Thanks for the tip, Shahr!
Source: Walk this way - Official Google Mobile Blog

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;KZ2_7bKlcvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ2_7bKlcvI]YouTube - Street View on Google Maps: Smart Navigation[/video]

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I installed the newest update (with no problems) but I don't seem to have "pegman" available...version 4.5.0

Pandemic187

Reaction score
Dang. Google Maps just never stops getting better!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadyw

Reaction score
I went to the Blog in aanDroid's OP and instructions are @ the end of the blog. Very nice update. Thx.

Google Maps for mobile 4.5 and Street View smart navigation are available now for Android 1.6+ everywhere they’re currently available. Search for Google Maps (tap here on your phone) and then Street View on Google Maps (tap here) in Android Market to update both.

joeymoose

Reaction score
I went to the Blog in aanDroid's OP and instructions are @ the end of the blog. Very nice update. Thx.

Google Maps for mobile 4.5 and Street View smart navigation are available now for Android 1.6+ everywhere they’re currently available. Search for Google Maps (tap here on your phone) and then Street View on Google Maps (tap here) in Android Market to update both.

Thanks!:):):)

Zargon

Reaction score

Ahhh, I missed that. Thanks!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am getting an installation unsuccessful on the Street View, am I the only one

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wricks, the link in the O/P is actually a Market link and needs to be used from your phone's browser, or just search street view in the Market