Google Maps Update

Almighty1

Reaction score
pyro, uninstalling street.apk and Maps.apk from system/app, rebooting and then reinstalling the new Street View and Maps from the Market worked for me

I then moved both from data/app back to system/app and rebooted one more time

Have a question, what were the exact filenames you moved from data/app to system/app because there is no Street.apk and Maps.apk in data/app, only in system/app did it exist.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
In data/app they are named differently, Maps.apk is com.googlemaps-1.apk (or something) and street.apk is com.googlestreetview.apk (or something) I moved both into system/app renamed them accordingly and then rebooted

Almighty1

Reaction score
Thanks tparker76, just what I thought. Maybe it might be a better idea to just delete the /system/app files and just leave the /data/app files there so if there is another update, you won't have to move the files as they will just get overwritten.

kevdog

Reaction score
The one thing about this update I dont like, is that in the old version, you had the ability on regular maps to zoom up on a location until you hit street view. Now you can't do this. The closest zoom is now only a map view. This kinda sucks. I dont always want to use navigation in order to see a street view.

Bdog

Reaction score
^ I haven't been able to zoom into street view for a couple updates now. Never bothered me much though, because I either check an address location or use navigate

Sherry

Reaction score
Google Maps

Question. I am also having trouble installing the new update. I am running FROYO 2.2 but am not rooted. I looked at Titanium and it is for rooted phone. Astro will not let me delete the older versions. Any suggestions. Thanks!!!

Droidemz

Reaction score
Is google going to fix this install issue? I have a feeling most people wont want to muck around in all the folders doing renames and moves of system files.

tonydelite

Reaction score
The one thing about this update I dont like, is that in the old version, you had the ability on regular maps to zoom up on a location until you hit street view. Now you can't do this. The closest zoom is now only a map view. This kinda sucks. I dont always want to use navigation in order to see a street view.

Long press any location on the map, it will bring up an address balloon.

Press the address balloon.

Press the pegman icon.

You are now in street view. I think this is more convenient than having to zoom all the way in.

RoNYC

Reaction score
I was able to install the street view and the update with no problem. But when I long press on an area, the bubble appears but it only shows the address, none of the blue arrow and call icon on either side. Should I uninstall and reinstall it again? Thanks!

pyro6128

Reaction score
you have to add that part in the labs. Click more>labs

RoNYC

Reaction score
Labs > Check bubble buttons> still no icons.

Bdog

Reaction score
Try doing it on a business, or someone from your contacts whom you have their address for