mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
busybox rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
cd ..
cd ..
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
sync
2. You can now attempt to install the Google Maps update.
3. If it fails the first time, just cancel the download and try again. If it fails again, reboot and try.
4. Done!
OK, I've followed all of this exactly, and
Code:
still fails no matter what

I get failure right there as well. Trying to figure out a workaround.

I have had this issue twice, even though it says it failed it still removes maps from my phone I had to restore using a nandroid back up, did the same thing a second time. If anyone figures out a workaround that would be great. only other thing I could try is a new clean install of kangerade and trying again

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
google maps 4.3 won't install from market on froyo

I am having trouble installing the latest google maps. Would anyone have the apk file to share. Not sure why it will not install when other apps are installing fine.

Thanks

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Should be llike this:

For all other ROMs:
su
cd system/bin
cd ..
cd ..
sync
3. If it fails the first time, just cancel the download and try again. If it fails again, reboot and try.
4. Done!

that worked..THANKS. im running bb froyo .2.1

zeppelinmad4

Reaction score
OK, I've followed all of this exactly, and
Code:
still fails no matter what

I get failure right there as well. Trying to figure out a workaround.

I have had this issue twice, even though it says it failed it still removes maps from my phone I had to restore using a nandroid back up, did the same thing a second time. If anyone figures out a workaround that would be great. only other thing I could try is a new clean install of kangerade and trying again

I got it to work!!! First, I restored an old backup of my /system. I then ran the scripts and got "sucess" after "sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps", rebooted, and it installed perfectly. I'm guessing it had something to do with me trying a different process before hand.

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
I'm running Kang and it worked first time. Only issue was after the reboot the phone was slow as hell for like 5 minutes.

cruzhm

Reaction score
Re: google maps 4.3 won't install from market on froyo

Try going to droid-life.com. they have a post there on how to fix it based on your rom.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jookyone

Reaction score
I'm running Kang and it worked first time. Only issue was after the reboot the phone was slow as hell for like 5 minutes.

From what I read in the comments, Google Maps 4.3 is slow as hell and all this work to get it on my phone prolly isn't worth it. Read the comments in the market... lot of not very satisfied Droid users.

Sticking with 4.2 for the moment.

Appleanche

Reaction score
Map's loading has been incredibly slow for me.. anyone know how to go back to the older version?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Finally got it, and thru terminal emulator without anything else. The DF commands on the 4.3 fix blog for other rom worked.

I think a lot has to be typos made by EU's, or the commands themselves are not set for the rom they are using. I made a couple myself trying this, but realized them and corrected. for one, if you dont have busybox, omit it in that command line. I didn't even have to reboot my unit afterwards for the install to go ok.

Only using for 10 min, but do not see any slowdown on maps loading from 4.2 here, may retry after a reboot.

Updte: are you sure the groups were talking about maps? I only saw about EARTH 4.3 slowing down some phones.

Last edited:

Fault

Reaction score
Install Google Maps 4.3 on 2.2 Froyo!

Instructions…
*Note 1* – If you don’t have Terminal Emulator, download it from the market.
1. Open Terminal Emulator and type in the follow commands:
For JRummy ROMs:
su
mountsys
rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
unmountsys

For all other ROMs:
su
cd system/bin
cd ..
cd ..
sync
4. Done!

source: Google Maps 4.3 Fix for Droid Froyo Users | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How many different versions of commands are we going to see here? I think this is getting a bit confusing.

Last edited:

jbg25

Reaction score
I had not problem removing 4.2 or installing 4.3. 4.3 even worked really well, with no noticeable slow down. BUT...

Within a few mins my phone started to freeze with a black screen and the softkeys lit. I had to pull the battery to get it to respond. 5 mins later it happened again.

Once I uninstalled it stopped.

Fault

Reaction score
I know some people were able to do the install just fine. I was completely unable to do it, would always get "install unsucessful". Its running pretty smooth for me