Google Maps 4.3 Fix for Droid Froyo Users

Taegost

Reaction score
How many different versions of commands are we going to see here? I think this is getting a bit confusing.

Not only that, but I've tried every single one of them in this post, and none of them allow me to successfully complete the mount.
When I use the mount command, it just gives me a list of command-line parameters.
I also noticed that the "busybox" command doesn't work at all, even though I know it's installed 'cuz I did it through Titanium.
I'm running the "stock" 2.2 RC2 ROM with p3droids "1GHz" kernel that's actually 1.2GHz :)

DroidFan88

Reaction score
Instructions…
*Note 1* – If you don’t have Terminal Emulator, download it from the market.
1. Open Terminal Emulator and type in the follow commands:
For JRummy ROMs:
su
mountsys
rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
unmountsys

For all other ROMs:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
busybox rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
cd ..
cd ..
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
sync
2. You can now attempt to install the Google Maps update.
3. If it fails the first time, just cancel the download and try again. If it fails again, reboot and try.
4. Done!

source: Google Maps 4.3 Fix for Droid Froyo Users | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I have Chevy's rom...followed the "other ROM" directions and worked like a charm!
Once again....you guys rock! dancedroid

spk2bruce

Reaction score
I went through the "other Rom" directions and it worked perfectly. Was able to install from the Market.

squeaky

Reaction score
I too am having problems downloading this on the latest froyo build. Anyone get it to work yet?

rigualj

Reaction score
Like mentioned above, check out droid-life.com. It's on this website too, just didn't have the time to search it. From what I hear this 4.3 is ssssssllllooooowwww so I'm personally waiting. There isn't any new features that are really worth it for me.

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
I'm on BB v. 0.1 Froyo, running a Chevy's LV kernel, and this is what worked perfectly for me:
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
reboot

After that, I re-installed Maps from the Market and it worked perfectly. Thought I would share.

dcamble

Reaction score
I'm on BB v. 0.1 Froyo, running a Chevy's LV kernel, and this is what worked perfectly for me:
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
reboot

After that, I re-installed Maps from the Market and it worked perfectly. Thought I would share.

This worked for me as well!! Thanks everyone!

nateccnn

Reaction score
You have to manually uninstall the Maps.apk in order to update it from the market. Instructions are posted somewhere on how to use terminal emulator or adb shell to remove it from your phone. Same thing happened when 2.1 was leaked. Wonder why it was only Maps that did this.

Nate

SANhacker

Reaction score
I am having trouble installing the latest google maps. Would anyone have the apk file to share. Not sure why it will not install when other apps are installing fine.

Thanks

From the oft mentioned Droid Life site. This is from jrummy and should work on any ROM you have installed.

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
busybox rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
cd ..
cd ..
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
sync

Then go to the Market and install Maps.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I successfully installed maps 4.3 but whenever I power off my phone and restart, maps thinks it is starting for the first time. I get the 'What's New' screen and none of my previous settings or searches are there. Has anyone else had this happen or anyone know of a fix?

dclutter1

Reaction score
Re: google maps 4.3 won't install from market on froyo

Post 15 in this thread worked for me on UD rc2.

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/motorola-droid/2941-easy-fix-froyo-google-maps-update-problem-2.html#post18264

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

movadoevo8

Reaction score
Google Maps 4.3 Fix for Droid Froyo Users

On 06.22.10, In Root (unlock), Tips, by Kellex

See that screenie? That’s my JRummy Kangeraded Froyo Droid running the new Google Maps 4.3 which was released earlier today. Reader scrizzo just sent over a set of instructions I had yet to try that worked like butter. Seriously, I had tried the adb shell instructions out there, the .xml file update method, and couple of others with zero success. And then I received this magic…
Instructions…
*Note 1* – If you don’t have Terminal Emulator, download it from the market.
1. Open Terminal Emulator and type in the follow commands:
su
mountsys
rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
unmountsys
reboot
2. After your phone reboots, open the market and download Google Maps.
3. If it fails the first time, just cancel the download and try again.
4. Done!
If this set of instructions still doesn’t work for you, please drop the name and version of the ROM you have in the comments. Maybe we can pinpoint which methods are working for different ROMs.
Questions?
Cheers again scrizzo!

I'm using BBv.0.21 froyo 2.2 and when i type mountsys i get an error saying "mountsys: not found"

subsynth

Reaction score
I'm using BBv.0.21 froyo 2.2 and when i type mountsys i get an error saying "mountsys: not found"

mountsys is a Jrummy custom script, if you look at the Droid Life page they have scripts for Jrummy and then for all other ROMS. I'm sure you could simplify it further using Pete's mount script commands instead, but I don't know what they are....