Google Maps 4.0 Update

HMJB

Reaction score
lol this is pretty sweet, i updated and went to check out buzzed in google maps. At first there were just a couple of buzzez around me and i wasnt really sure of what it purpose was but then in a matter of like 5 min there were at least 30 buzzez just in my immediate area..pretty sweet i think. Lots of potential i think

Yeah same here lol

eliassami5

Reaction score
heres a vid from google if anyone wants to know more

[video=youtube;m-kcVDNi6eg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-kcVDNi6eg[/video]

segen77

Reaction score
Buzz seems interesting, but I don't see any practical use for it for me anyway.

Now on to my big question/issue.
Night mode. There has to be a way to turn it on and off manually. I don't want my phone deciding when to turn night mode on or off. There's plenty of situations where it may be late, but I want the day mode on the navigation.

If it is set by a time that google decides right now, I hope they give us the option in an update soon.

Scribble

Reaction score
How long do buzzes hang out for?

IE how long does one stay available on a map? Like if someone buzzes about a party, will it still be there 3 days later?

eliassami5

Reaction score
How long do buzzes hang out for?

IE how long does one stay available on a map? Like if someone buzzes about a party, will it still be there 3 days later?

i was wondering the same thing.
Buzzed would be useful for people that dont spend most of their time at home...When i go mountain biking i often spot things i would like to share and its cool to be able to do that now right from google maps.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
Yeah all kinds of questions about Buzz.

As per above, how long do they stay around?
Can you delete your buzz if you make one accidentally?
Can you ignore people?

I can see several cool applications. You are stuck in a traffic jam someone might buzz from ahead what is causing it. You hear about something happening in your hometown you can zoom over there on the map and see what people are saying.

I can see this being very abused though as far as people posting xrated pics everywhere.

Wannabe

Reaction score
Most important new feature: Doesn't force close with Sholes Rom.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
I can see this getting annoying. 200 people per square mile posting. "Going to eat a sandwich!"

Who sits and thinks.. "I bet a bunch of random stangers want to know that I'm going to eat a sandwich!"

Reaction score
This is somewhat interesting so far, but the layer is already filling with crap. So far, I've seen useful posts, like some guy tagging a street and asking if it had been plowed yet. However, most posts include "SNOW!", "Going to the hotel.", and "Johnny loves the cock." (yes, one actually says that). The web version is probably more useful than the maps layer.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Buzz seems interesting, but I don't see any practical use for it for me anyway.

Now on to my big question/issue.
Night mode. There has to be a way to turn it on and off manually. I don't want my phone deciding when to turn night mode on or off. There's plenty of situations where it may be late, but I want the day mode on the navigation.

If it is set by a time that google decides right now, I hope they give us the option in an update soon.

I haven't had a chance to check it out in depth with 4.0 yet, but I know with 3.4, no there wasn't. It's all done automatically, and only when in navigation mode (ie: not when you're only in maps mode). As far as I've seen, this newest update doesn't include any manual toggle function.

M

Matth3w

This is somewhat interesting so far, but the layer is already filling with crap. So far, I've seen useful posts, like some guy tagging a street and asking if it had been plowed yet. However, most posts include "SNOW!", "Going to the hotel.", and "Johnny loves the cock." (yes, one actually says that). The web version is probably more useful than the maps layer.
Haahahahahaa

bdbraaten

Reaction score

I am waiting until the first time my friend who likes to tweet about how drunk she is does that on buzz not realizing people will know where she's posting it from and starts getting hit on by the others in the bar watching to see who they might have a shot at

M

Matth3w

Maybe the ridiculous stuff will settle down once the novelty wears off.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
hmm...no buzz around my area. is that odd? am the only one that knows about this? im in carlsbad at the moment. :D

kevin1016

Reaction score
Buzz is an interesting concept. However, 99% of them around my area (Seattle) so far contain utterly worthless information. We'll see how it progresses.